Special Snowflake Says Hello

cpopo

Hi All. I am 34 years old and just realized a couple of months ago that I'm demisexual (wish I had figured this out way sooner in life). I semi-recently exited a four year relationship with, you guessed it, my best friend. When I began to think that I wanted to date again I struggled with a lot of disinterest (on my end) and feeling how I've always felt, that everyone else moves so much more quickly than I do and I'm going to lose their interest because I want to slow things down and oh god oh god oh god panic cancel alone again. Top this off with the fact that I am polyamorous and that community tends toward extroversion and physical relations moving quite quickly (not everyone, but it's common) and I constantly feel alone.

I'm much more comfortable building a friendship and trust first. I used to think that this was due to how I was raised or some kind of brokenness that I couldn't explain. I definitely felt out of place in college compared to my roommate that would come home in the morning, high five me, and tell me about her latest conquest. I've been called a tease, a prude, and other things in the past. It's nice to know there's a different name for me, but lately having a name for it hasn't made me feel better. It has actually made me feel more isolated. 

I know I don't quite fit the population here, but I hope to learn some things from y'all and find support, if you have it in your hearts to bring in a polyamorous demisexual (who is aware of the slight irony). 

Also, I heard there was cake. 

Welcome! Oh yeah there’s definitely cake here :P 

rainbow+wedding+cake+7.jpg

NickyTannock

Welcome to AVEN!

I'm also 34, though, I realised that I'm Asexual early in my life.

And don't worry, there are Demisexuals on the site, and polyamorous members as well.

Incidentally, yes it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a Puppy in a Cupcake on a Cake with a Puppy, Cake,

ewer9m1m2sy3ul4i43no.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

We don't think you're weird- just about every possible combination of identities is represented here, and where everyone is strange, no one is.

Archived