Does Random Capitalization bother you at all?

Anonymous Axolotl

That's The oppositE of ranDom CapitaliZation. It's Deliberate Capitalization with a Purpose. :) 

Janus the Fox

Often not random, but often used for emphasis.  Capitalising every word could often be taught early in school, thus some could keep doing so that way.  Sometimes typing can auto-generate a capitalizing of every word on some devices. 

The capitalizing every other letter is often considered mocking the thread or comment above it, based on the Mocking Spongebob meme, so it's often for the best to avoid using it too often outside of memes to avoid trouble.

I am more sensitive to irregularities than I'd like to be, if only because being annoyed is annoying. Grump? I don't necessarily think anything different about the poster or the content, but it bothers me.

That isn't to say that I definitely didn't go through an all lower caps phase in high school and college. Isn't that mandatory?

It makes it more difficult to read, so yes, it does annoy me. It's better than all caps, though, that's for sure.

everywhere and nowhere

Just by the way... because I have found an example of precisely this.

Check out this paper: A Rethinking of Gray Asexuality: What do we Learn from an Undefinable Identity? Probably worth reading, although so far I have only skimmed it. However, the author's style exactly in terms of capitalisation is really annoying. He writes "Asexual", "Asexuality", "Visibility and Education have become key goals" - just like this. Really, this is so tiring to read... For me it feels that he confuses emphasis on key terms with a pretentious, affected style...

On 7/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

Not really. Apparently in English this used to be a thing.

Direct quote of a passage from Milne's The House at Pooh Corner, copyright 1928, unedited:

The effect seems to be making the capitalized concepts into proper nouns, including verbs, so perhaps remains of old Germanic grammar? Though using title caps for every word in a sentence is kind of counterproductive, since it looks like they're quoting a book or article title.

That's used by Milne as an effect to sound like a child is writing it.  

I do it sometime myself but it generally depends on the word or what I am saying. Unless I am actually writing something in real life (which is rare). I always capitalize my Bs and Ds. I do not know why.

It depends on the target audience for the piece of writing. If it's supposed to be professional business writing going to everyone including like a board of trustees, and the person writing it is getting paid, then yes it bothers me. 

If it's informal then it doesn't bother me as much.

depends. i tend to speak with no capitalization, as do many of my friends, so proper capitalization is more often than not a sign of seriousness. random capitalization in the middle of words always bugs me, and sometimes makes the word harder to read. in the middle of sentences is fine, though.

Archived