Nonbinary Hanji

(Talking about Shingeki no Kyojin) When i figured out that in the manga, Hanji in fact is genderless, I was estastic. Even if it's just because Hanji's gender is up to interpretation, I really liked the idea of Hanji being nonbinary (gender neutral maybe??). I saw myself in Hanji when I thought I was nonbinary and see them as basically neutral. It was nice to see a character who has the potential for such things. Sadly they are female in the anime instead of gender neutral/genderless. Which is not a bad thing either. Still it's just a nice headcanon, anyone else share this one? I love Hanji to pieces and their mental health in the manga is going to shit with how overworked and stressed they are. I feel so bad for my baby. TwT 

It's always great to see representation for enbies, especially in popular culture. It's always so sad when the people who adapt a work decide that the nonbinary character is the only one who it's acceptable to change the gender of. RIP though, I guess. 

I've noticed for a long time that the best representation of trans and nonbinary people seems to be in science fiction.  This isn't a new development, either.

The Left Hand of Darkness was published in 1969 - it's about a planet where people never got around to inventing the gender binary, and in Ian M. Banks's Culture novels, people can slowly change their physical sex just by meditating on it.

Archived