How should I tell future interviewers that I plan on going back to school?

katinthehat

katinthehat

Hello all,

I am currently applying for jobs after moving to a new city. I have been a medical tech for a few years, and I want to move up in my career by either going through a PA program, MD program, nursing program, or something similar. I do have to take a few courses on the side while working, which I can do in the evenings. I am afraid that if this topic is broached during an interview, the employer might not think I'm a serious candidate, and that my focus would be primarily on school work. I enjoy doing what I do, but I can't continue working in a position where it's hard to make ends meet. I'd imagine I'd stay at a company at least 2 years while I get my classes in order, maybe more if I don't get in to any programs the first time around. How would I word my plans to the employer without immediately getting the boot for a job opportunity?

Maybe something like "I am interested in this job. Well I do have relative experience in this field ,you should know I am also interested in as well futhering my education goals in order to better improve my performance." I don't if it too wordy but this is something that i have said before. If they ask if you could balance work and school; say that you understand that you have a commitment to both and have already arrange for a schedule. Like i said this work out for me, hopefully it can be of some use to you. 

Don't tell them that you intend in the future to become trained/educated to "rise" to a better position.  If they ask (and only if they ask), say that you intend to take some evening classes to increase your knowledge and ability.  Most employers expect that people in lower-paying positions may wish to move on eventually, but they don't want to be told that, and you don't want them to be forced to turn you down because of that.  

My main experience was changing careers 14 years ago. I started out with temp jobs to show I was looking for a change in life, and ended up finding a call center job that worked around my class schedule. Granted, it was a low paying job without benefits, but I got to where I needed to go. I really don't think that you have to mention future classes that would involve leaving your position. I agree with the person who said that you might mention night classes in passing. Lots of people do those.

If it doesn't affect your work, it's none of your employer's business. 

If they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years, focus on the job at hand and project yourself into that company.

If they ask whether your reliability will be affected by anything, simply say no. 

I don't see why an employer would ask if you're taking any courses since that is your free time. 

Mentioning it can hurt your chances, as an employer could mistakenly feel you won't be reliable because of it. 

Especially if said education would then make you over-qualified for the position. 

You then look like you're using the role as a mere stepping stone, and will be a "fly by night" employee. 

Definitely don't tell them - it's none of their business, and they are better off not knowing it anyway (in an employer's mind, having information like that just opens them up to discrimination lawsuits)

Archived