German TV covering asexuality

Homer

For those interested, German local TV channel SWR 2 had a piece about asexuality the other day. You can find it here:

https://www.swr.de/swr2/programm/sendungen/wissen/phaenomen-asexualitaet/-/id=660374/did=24180396/nid=660374/1ix1p97/index.html

Unfortunately there are no subtitles for the audio part, but you can download the transcript and throw it at a translator.

I've taken a quick glance at the text and it seems like a very interesting article. Towards the end, it mentions things which are sometimes overlooked, such as increased mental health issues (in comparison to straight people.) It also talks about discrimination: according to the article, saying that asexuals are ill because they don't want sex already counts as discrimination. I would agree: that reaction is one of the main reasons I haven't come out yet!

Forest Spirit

Read through it and it seems like a well researched article, the only thing I've noticed that they got wrong is about aromantics not wanting any kind of physical intimacy or avoiding it if possible. But hey, I'm happy that the rest seems correct and for the representation in a German medium^_^

1 minute ago, Quasar.w said:

Read through it and it seems like a well researched article, the only thing I've noticed that they got wrong is about aromantics not wanting any kind of physical intimacy or avoiding it if possible. But hey, I'm happy that the rest seems correct and for the representation in a German medium^_^

I agree that it appears to be a pretty accurate article! And if it helps with representation, it's even better. 😁

3 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Read through it and it seems like a well researched article, the only thing I've noticed that they got wrong is about aromantics not wanting any kind of physical intimacy or avoiding it if possible.

True, and another thing that I wasn't happy about was the subtle assumption that people who avoid intimacy altogether shouldn't call themselves asexual, as if they were hiding behind this label. Or that's at least how I understood it. The asexual community welcomes anybody - or should welcome anybody - who identifies as asexual, whether they're happy with their orientation/relationships or not.

Apart from that, I really liked the article.

Forest Spirit
On 7/14/2019 at 10:50 PM, kiaroskuro said:

True, and another thing that I wasn't happy about was the subtle assumption that people who avoid intimacy altogether shouldn't call themselves asexual, as if they were hiding behind this label. Or that's at least how I understood it. The asexual community welcomes anybody - or should welcome anybody - who identifies as asexual, whether they're happy with their orientation/relationships or not.

Apart from that, I really liked the article.

I have to say their statement was a bit too unclear for me in order to understand what they mean with 'avoiding any kind of intimacy'. I'm sex repulsed and touch averse myself due to trauma but I can differentiate between that and being ace most of the time (I say most because in some situations it's probably both together) and I do like intimacy very much if my head lets me (aka I trust that person a lot) and, in general, don't avoid it all the time. So I'm not sure if they wanted to point to possible trauma/illness/whatever being the cause behind 'avoiding any kind of intimacy' and that a person should seek help with that underlying problem instead of identifying as ace or something else...

Archived