124 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your bacon?

• Crispy
    • Chewy
    • Don't care
    • I don't/can't eat bacon

This poll is closed to new votes

Fantastic Name

This is question a lot of people I know are passionate about. Thought it would make for a semi-interesting poll.

Personally, I don't really care how crispy it is, as long as it isn't raw or completely burnt. 

The best is crispy and made in a pan. I like mine with honey or maple syrup and pepper cooked on. I feel I branch out and try different types though. 

Bacon grease itself is a byproduct of what I really need when cooking. It has a wonderfully smoky flavor that adds to the cast iron wok and raman noodle recipes I concoct. Bacon tends to be expensive so I have located a source of Bacon Ends and Pieces.  These are the chunks of the bacon discarded after the proper strips have been cut. I crisp them up, collect the grease and chop them up in a food processor. These bacon bits can be added to mayonnaise with horseradish to make a tasty though gritty sandwich spread.  Very nice with tomato, lettuce and shaved turkey breast.

Grumpy Alien

I’ve never had bacon but it looks gross

RoseGoesToYale

Je le detest!

I love bacon!

I prefer it somewhere between crispy and chewy. Too easy to overcook or under-cook it. (apparently overcook is a word, but undercook isn't, according to spell checker :P ) So I didn't vote, because I do care. :) 

Exactly in between crispy and chewy.  I would rather be able to chew bacon rather than deal with bitter, crispy crumbles. 

I voted for chewy.

A. Sterling

I'm generally not a great fan of bacon. When I do eat it, I want it crispy. 

Oh, I thought this was going to be another English v american word meaning 😀

I don't like either what we call bacon or what Americans call bacon (which we call rashers)

Custard Cream

bacon fat has to be crispy or I won't eat it.

Fantastic Name
8 hours ago, iff said:

Oh, I thought this was going to be another English v american word meaning 😀

Surprise!

9 hours ago, iff said:

what we call bacon

what is that?

I had bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning. :) 

23 minutes ago, daveb said:

what is that?

I had bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning. :) 

Internet provided poor images but anyway (it might be easier to just cook one ). This is from the Irish examiner (Source )

BaconAndCabbageGenericInternal_large.jpg

You get the joint, boil it the night before eating then reboil this time with cabbage in the mix the night of eating. Bacon and cabbage (rather than corned beef) would be Irish traditional food for St. Patrick's day

But the same part of the pig for bacon would be used for gammon steaks (under the grill)

7 minutes ago, iff said:

Internet provided poor images but anyway (it might be easier to just cook one ). This is from the Irish examiner (Source )

BaconAndCabbageGenericInternal_large.jpg

You get the joint, boil it the night before eating then reboil this time with cabbage in the mix the night of eating. Bacon and cabbage (rather than corned beef) would be Irish traditional food for St. Patrick's day

But the same meat for the bacon would be used for gammon steaks (under the grill)

You lost me at cabbage. :lol: :P 

(so it's twice-boiled ham with cabbage involved? yeah, I don't think I would be that kind of bacon-lover :P )

9 minutes ago, daveb said:

You lost me at cabbage. :lol: :P 

(so it's twice-boiled ham with cabbage involved? yeah, I don't think I would be that kind of bacon-lover :P )

Kind of but I think there are other preparation differences between ham and bacon before it gets to the boiling stage.

Depends on the type of rasher: streaky bacon - crisp; collar and shoulder - more chewy.  I like ' boiling bacon' which is what I call the stuff in @iff s picture. I do it in the pressure cooker so it doesn't need overnight soaking and cooks quickly. 

Anthracite_Impreza

Vegetarian...

Definitely crispy 

I'm vegetarian because I can't eat meat so it's an 'I don't/can't eat bacon' for me. 

everywhere and nowhere

I don't eat meat at all and have always found bacon fairly repulsive.

I like both the "regular" and the vegetarian kind best when they're a little bit burnt.

• 2 weeks later...
MerePeasant

Crispy! Do like those browny-orange crispy bits that form on a particular kind of bacon. :D Having said that, I am trying  to avoid eating bacon as much as I can.

J. van Deijck

I don't like most of crispy things because eating them gives me some unpleasant sensation I can't even explain. however, for bacon, I don't really care.

I like the bacony kind of bacon.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I don't really care. I only mildly like bacon, and could easily live without it.

Archived