Is asexuality a well known orientation where your’e from?

I know we’re less than 1% of the population. It’s still not quite known here and I feel like it definitely should be. 

Edited by Blit
AmazingGrAce

I don't think it's well known anywhere really, though in the UK we are starting to see a bit more visibility and a bit more interest from mainstream news outlets. 

(PS I love the profile picture!)

• Like 2

It's practically unknown here! I only saw a couple online newspaper articles here and there. I think an ace was featured on the news, but it was last year and it flew under the radar.

Anonymous Axolotl

I wish. The only way I found out that it's a thing through the internet. I've never seen anything remotely related to asexuality here. Even the website for our local Pride has nothing on asexuality. I've never been to a Pride parade, I'm hoping I can pluck up the courage to go this year (we celebrate Pride in August, not June, although I'm not sure why) so I can maybe give some ace representation.

But onto your other point: yes, I totally agree it needs to be more well known. I've met a lot more ace people online outside of AVEN than I ever would have expected. The statistic is easily above 1%. The study that came to that conclusion has to be outdated by now.

• Like 1

The only person I know of that knows about it is my friend who is also asexual. Unlike most asexual people, I actually did not learn about asexuality from the internet. I learned it from her. 

So technically it is pretty unknown where I live, but at least I know one person, which is probably more than some people can say, so I am grateful for that. 

RoseGoesToYale

It's somewhat known where I am, but I live in a college town so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comrade Kitty

Aces arent know here at all. Even though I live in like the most LGBTQIA+ friendly city in my state. WE ARE INVISIBLE! I feel like quite a few people know about it. But just don't care and never mention or say anything about it. But it is still quite unknown, sadly.

I think we all owe it ourselves to go to a pride event/parade and give ourselves some representation.

Anthracite_Impreza

Very much not, but then, people are still struggling with 'gay' here.

It's not well-known anywhere in the States.  Not all asexuals feel like they're part of the LGBT+ community, so Pride events might not really help asexual visibility, unless you have a BIG banner.

As far as the 1%, that's just an estimate from years ago.  I think it's quite a bit more, because many older people probably aren't seeing anything about asexuality, yet they are asexual -- they just don't know that term.  I didn't know it until I was fairly old, and there are other asexuals on AVEN who also took most of their lives to know.   We haven't been counted in any polls/mentioned in any articles.   

• Like 2

Kinda! my view is a little skewed though, i make all my friends at LGBT+ youth groups or pride parades, so i don't really know what non-LGBT+ people know. :)

Though! interesting note! Some surveys have put the percentage of ace people up to 8% with young people, since we're a little more open to exploring less known identities :) Ace people may be even more common than that too, once we factor in people who don't find out until later in life, lack of education, social stigma, ect!

• Like 1

There's more visibility in the area I live than there was when I first joined AVEN. I'm not active in the LGBT+ community so I'm not sure the full extent of the visibility. I'm also not part of an asexuality group in the area. I have seen it on a couple local surveys as an option though.

I like to read stories about bad customers on a website "notalwaysright" (just add the www and .com). If you've ever worked with the public, you'll understand. Rather more frequently than seems entirely probable, the worker in the story is ace (and stories are always written to support positive values so the stories are written to indicate that ace people should be respected, even if a particular bad customer isn't doing that). Point is, we're making inroads into at least some forms of media. :)

I found out about it because my ex-wife was doing research to find out why I hated sex so much and suggested I was asexual. I tried to bring it up to friends and even a therapist and every one of them told me there's no such thing. I just have a low sex drive. I just haven't met the right person. I'm gay/straight and just don't know it yet. It's not natural. 

Chris Zulas

nah, this town is shite. one big chunk are a bunch of hateful rednecks who want to run over mexicans with a combine (seriously) another chunk are avid rap listeners who want the same thing, and then theres just random asshats. people and life are mostly good most of the time in most places mostly, and ik im right there and nothing can change that, but my hometown? idk about that. think this is that "most places" rule going off. when ive told people ive gotten a lotta shitty things said, and the local queer people couldnt give a shit about the queer community outside of their own lives and those they know. theres good people tho.

Crazycrazycultist

Not no. But, hell no!

It depends on the age of the person you're talking to.  As you would expect, young people and those in the queer community are more informed.