How do you eat a meal

Zhuangzi

How do you eat a meal?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. If you have an entree and two sides in what order do you eat your food?

• entree, side, side
    • side, entree, side
    • side, side, entree
    • some other way

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm just curious, because I've noticed that most of the people I know eat their food in a specific order when they have an entree and sides.

Depends on my order of preference for the items. I don’t tend to mix or go back and forth between things unless though they’re meant to be combined. 

RoseGoesToYale

Whatever's the main part of the meal, usually the meat, that's what I eat first.

Breakfast is the exception. Eggs first, then meat, then bread/pancakes/sweet things.

I just eat randomly lol depending on what I’m most in the mood for during the given time. If I’m eating steak, potatoes, and green beans, I’ll start with any of those three depending if I most want steak, potatoes, or green beans :P 

I randomly take mouthfuls from different 'parts' of my plate. 

Most of the meals I serve are presented in manner that allows for combination building (i.e. a bit of side along with some main).  You might sample a spicy crunchy vegetable, then a mouthful of savory meat/fish, to a sweet starch then start combining the texture of the vegetable with the contrasting tenderness of the meat in another mouthful.  Um ... I'm a foodie. 

Member131995

Depends on my mood. Generally I just eat a bit of everything until it's all gone, in no particular order and randomly choosing what the next bite will be.

I just go back and forth between everything.

I open my mouth, lift the food to the mouth, chew it, swallow it. Simples.

Grumpy Alien

I’ve never ordered two sides unless one is meant to be an appetizer or I’m sharing

I tend to eat the main thing last. This may be because when the plate is full, I would have difficulty maneouvering the main so I eats the sides first 

By sides I mean potatoes, chips, vegetables etc etc

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm clearly far too working class cos I have no idea what any of that even means.

Just now, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I'm clearly far too working class cos I have no idea what any of that even means.

Yeah, I just had to look up what the hell an entree was. 

Anthracite_Impreza
3 minutes ago, Morgan123 said:

Yeah, I just had to look up what the hell an entree was. 

Peasants unite 🤜

I don't remember the last time I ordered more than one dish at a restaurant. My stomach is small and my food choices are limited. 

9 hours ago, CBC said:

I literally never eat meals. I just eat one singular item of food when I feel like I need something to eat. No schedule, never more than one thing at a time. I also eat more or less the exact same few things every day, although it will change slightly over the course of weeks or months.

Saaaaame.

Celyn: The Lutening

The entree means the "entry" of the meal, it goes first.

I just gobble everything up in no particular order.

Then my enzymes or a blackhole does the rest.

Or @Anthracite_Impreza and @Morgan123 you can spend a 6 hour shift in the engine room of a restaurant, watching and listening to the chefs, servers and bartenders.  Get your hands dirty as it were.  You'll see the passion (or the lack there of) behind what comes out to your table. 

Kitchen Nightmares and Hell's Kitchen or the reality TV is not reality. 

some other way. It depends on what the food is and if there is one I like the least. I also depends on how hungry I am

everywhere and nowhere

A lot of things I eat are "mixed" anyway, such as risotto, soup, curries or casserole with pasta or rice and vegetables.

On the rare occasions were I eat something clearly divided in three parts (a combination I like: soy burgers, young potatoes with dill and young cabbage) I always eat a bit of all three in turns. If we mark soy burger as A, potatoes as B and cabbage as C, than it's typically A, B, C, A, B, C, tea, A, B, C...

Never in my life have I had an entrée and two sides on the same plate. 

To me an entrée is a separate course 

J. van Deijck

I mix everything together. yay me.

It depends on what I get. Usually if there’s a vegetable side I eat that first. Although, at the beginning, I take a bite of each thing to taste them first. If the entree’s the best tasting, I have it last. If one of the sides is the best, I have the other stuff first. Sometimes I alternate between bites of things. 

HonoraryJedi

It never occurred to me to consider the order in which I ate different parts of the same meal.

In case I even have such discrete categories on my plate (it's not a factor if you subsist on pizza as much as I do...)

Alternating mouthfuls between the different parts in a regular-ish pattern (meat - potato/rice/noodle - veggie - meat - p/r/n - veggie...).

I eat food in order of whatever I like the taste of least before whatever I like the taste of most.  The side/entree thing isn't relevant to me

firewallflower

I have salad or something pickled/fermented first, if there is something like that. Beyond that, though, I don't usually eat in any particular order—a couple bites of this, a couple bites of that. I do like to save some of whatever my favorite part of the meal is for last.

Possibly worth noting that I almost never eat out, and when I do I almost never order more than one entree, so the above mostly applies to meals at home. All-you-can-eat buffets are another story, of course. 😋

• 1 year later...

@Zhuangzi

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived