Confused about my Romantic Orientation.

Dew

Hello Everyone!

I'm new here and I'm really looking forward to meeting you all! I've just started to use this website so please excuse me if I get something wrong! Well,recently I found out that I'm asexual, but because I'm still kind of confused about asexuality and romantic orientations I thought you guys could help me out a bit, please. I know what a romantic orientation is and I do know some different types to,but I'm having some trouble finding which lable I fit under best. I normally don't really get crushes(I'm not sure if there's another word for a romantic crush) but when it's the opposite gender, the feeling is more like 'I just want to hang out with them and be their friend' or 'He looks like he has a nice personality, I wonder if we could be friends'. But I wouldn't want to go out on dates with them and all. While on the other hand,I can imagine myself dating someone of the same gender,I'd feel more comfortable. Sometime I would just look at another girl and say 'Wow she looks pretty' or 'I'd love to get to know her better'. When some of my friends talk about them having boyfriends and that stuff, I wouldn't really be interested( I just don't think it's me) I wouldn't mind at all if I had to spend the rest of my days with someone of the same gender. Opposite,not so much. I'm really confused about this right now and I would really appreciate some advice! Thank you and have a good day!

Anthracite_Impreza

Sounds like you're homoromantic, but can still squish (platonic 'crush') on males.

Wow thanks for replying so quickly! I'll try to reflect on it,just to be sure. Thank you!

Anthracite_Impreza

As a complete tangent, I love your avatar, very cute.

The way I found out my romantic orientation is In 2 steps:

1) Try to define what a romantic relationship looks like for you. What activities/things would you be doing that sets this relationship apart from your friendships? It’s usually easiest to narrow this down to your physical limits. Every asexual has different limits and comfort levels to their physical boundaries. It’s good to ponder where the line ends for you so you can draw that line in the sand between platonic and romantic relationships.

For me, things like kissing and cuddling are a big deal, and I don’t really plan to go anywhere past that. Those are also activities that, for me, are more reserved for a romantic relationship rather than a platonic one. That helps to make my relationships and friendships more distinct.

2) Think long term. If you imagine yourself in the future doing some activity with a romantic partner, which gender are you imagining?

This is something that I struggle with on occasion, but ultimately, I mainly imagine myself with someone of the opposite gender. In my case, I often picture myself cuddled up with someone of the opposite gender watching Netflix late into the night.

For you, that ideal scene could be very different, but it’s good to think about what you might be doing and who you might be doing that activity with.

If you can’t imagine yourself with anyone or you can only see your future relationships being purely platonic, you may be aromantic, meaning you don’t really desire a romantic relationship at all.

That was a lot to read, so sorry about that😅 I hope this is helpful though!

Thank you so much for this! It's actually really helping me out. I don't usually like making physical contact except for hugs perhaps. The way I kind of define a romantic attraction towards someone is when I think about how beautiful she is or when I have this comfortable feeling inside my chest. I would like a romantic relationship with someone of the same gender, but only if she's right for me and I do kind of picture myself with someone of the same gender in the future. But I'm very shy so for that to happen that person would need to be understanding. Thanks again and your profile pic is so cute!

sakuraflavor

Helloooo I don’t know what to label my sexual orientation I was hoping someone could help me. I Identify as an asexual and I experience romantic and aesthetic attraction but I can never see myself having a sexual relationship. I would like to have a companion to talk and cuddle with but I don’t myself ever making out with someone either. I’m much more interested in politics and bl manga than to seek a relationship. I’m a junior in highschool and I just wanna feel valid

Grey-Ace Ventura

@sakuraflavor I relate to that so much. I spent so much of my junior year (last year) trying to figure myself out and feel valid.

It sounds like you're an ace, is there something in particular that makes you think differently?

sakuraflavor

What I said before made me feel different but I’m glad someone out there feels the same way. Thank you for replying this is my first time on the forum<3

Grey-Ace Ventura

Yeah, it sounds like you're a romantic ace. Also I'm sure you'll find plenty of people here who can relate to you in any situation. Welcome!

Image result for cake with comic characters

Archived