Sexuality, Romantic Orientation, and Gender Correlation With ASD

QuirkyGeek

Sexuality, Romantic Orientation, and Gender Correlation With ASD  

135 members have voted

1. 1. If you are autistic, do you identify as being on the ace spectrum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/Questioning
    • Not Autistic
  2. 2. If you are allistic (not autistic), do you identify as being on the ace spectrum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/Questioning
    • Not Allistic
  3. 3. If you are autistic, do you identify as being on the aro spectrum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/Questioning
    • Not Autistic
  4. 4. If you are allistic, do you identify as being on the aro spectrum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/Questioning
    • Not Allistic
  5. 5. If you are autistic, do you identify as non-binary?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/Questioning
    • Not Autistic
  6. 6. If you are allistic, do you identify as non-binary?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/Questioning
    • Not Allistic

This poll is closed to new votes

My results:

1. Yes, I am a sex-repulsed ace. (I know for sure that I am 100% ace.)

2. N/A (Not applicable)

3. Yes, I am aromantic. (Also quoiromantic could apply to me - sometimes I think there's a chance I am demi-panromantic but unaware of it, though I have settled on simply "aromantic" for the time being)

4. N/A (Not applicable)

5. No (I am a cisgender female)

6. N/A (Not applicable)

On 7/10/2019 at 1:06 AM, QuirkyGeek said:

I'm curious as to how identities vary between autistic people and allistic people. Some people and organizations say that there is a correlation between autism spectrum disorder and being asexual, aromantic, and non-binary, so I want to see if we can spot a correlation here on AVEN.

My main problem with this is that these results are highly likely to be skewed due to the type of forum you are taking the poll in (eg. there is a lot of aces because it's an ace forum) which a bunch of other people have also mentioned. Still this is an interesting question.

Comparing Autistics and Allistics with current numbers: (maths under spoiler for length)

Spoiler

Ace Spectrum:

Autistic: 43.82% (Ace) + 1.12% (Unsure/Questioning) = 44.94%

Allistic: 46.07% (Ace) + 3.37% (Unsure/Questioning) = 49.44%

Difference: 4.5%

Aros Spectrum:

Autistic: 24.72% (Yes) + 6.74% (Unsure/Questioning) = 31.46%

Allistic: 23.6% (Yes) + 8.99% (Unsure/Questioning) = 32.59%

Difference: 1.13%

Non-Binary Spectrum:

Autistic: 21.35% (Yes) + 5.62% (Unsure/Questioning) = 26.97%

Allistic: 13.48% (Yes) + 10.11% (Unsure/Questioning) = 23.59%

Difference: 3.38%

The gender (non-binary spectrum) is what interests me, at first glance it looks like the Autistics are racing ahead and then you add in the Questioning Allistics and 'Nope'.

Basically, potential bias aside, for all three elements (aro, ace and non-binary spectrums) the autistics and allistics are so close to the same percentage* that there doesn't appear to be any correlation between being autistic and the aro, ace or non-binary spectrums.

*I'm not counting small differences, only obviously large differences that show potential correlations.

Additional Notes: I've merged in the Questioning results in the assumption that will give me a better picture of what is happening, since as noted with the 'non-binary spectrum answers' doing otherwise would give a very different result.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, Ferocious Cub said:

But would really love to see these results in a more typical pool...  Like are a full half of autistics really nonbinary, or only autistics who are also ace??

Basically are autistics multiple things or one thing? (Fudging maths in the spoiler)

Spoiler

Autistics (copied from above):

Ace Spectrum: 43.82% (Ace) + 1.12% (Unsure/Questioning) = 44.94%

Aros Spectrum: 24.72% (Yes) + 6.74% (Unsure/Questioning) = 31.46%

Non-Binary Spectrum: 21.35% (Yes) + 5.62% (Unsure/Questioning) = 26.97%

Difference:

13.48% more Ace Spectrum + Questioning Autistics than Aro Spectrum + Questioning Autistics.

17.97% more Ace Spectrum + Questioning Autistics than Non-Binary Spectrum + Questioning Autistics.

4.49% more Aro Spectrum + Questioning Autistics than Non-Binary Spectrum + Questioning Autistics.

So that may give you an idea of how many people are at least two things...

Additional: There are 2.25% Autistics and 2.25% Allistics that aren't on the Ace Spectrum. (Yes I did double check I didn't just copy the same number twice. XD)

So the 'Ace Spectrum + Questioning' bias is way more obvious here because I'm comparing the Aro, Ace and Non-Binary Spectrums + Questioning results against each other rather then comparing the Autistics and Allistics percentage results.

Fudging the maths because I forget how to do this, or if you even can do it:

31.46% (Aros Spectrum + Questioning) + 26.97% (Non-Binary Spectrum + Questioning) = 58.43%

58.43% - 44.94% (Ace Spectrum + Questioning) = 13.49%

13.49% - 2.25% Non Ace Spectrum Autistics = 11.24%

Since the 'Aro and Non-Binary Spectrums + Questioning' together add up to more then the 'Ace Spectrum + Questioning' then roughly 11.24-13.49% of Autistics might be on and/or questioning in all spectrums, if you account for the potential error from the 2.25% Non Ace Spectrum Autistic.* (I have no idea if calculating the numbers like this makes sense but whatever.)

*Also ignoring the fact the percentages of Non Autistics and Non Allistics seemed to change by roughly 1% or less in the different answers, although this may just be the way the calculations where done since all the percentages are different or maybe there was one or two mismatched answers that changed the percentage slightly but not a massive amount. (checks) Yep, number of Non Autistics and Non Allistics change by one person.

Twisted Tempest

I'm Autistic. Sex repulsed ace, Demiromantic, Gender indifferent; Biologically I am a Male, but in terms of identity I don't identify as anything. 

@matt_lock  A lot of cool info here!  Unfortunately, I am currently under the weather, and cannot devote much energy to the articles you linked right now.  Will come back later.

Short response - Sampling bias!  - Yes, that's what I was getting at.  I've been out of academia too long and don't have words for all my concepts anymore.

Empathy stuff - Yeah, I've heard it described as the double empathy problem.  Us autistics oftentimes have a hard time displaying empathy (even though we feel it), and neurotypicals have a hard time recognizing our empathy.  So, when they call us robots, the question is, who is really having a problem with empathy, us or them?  Short answer, both.

• 3 weeks later...

On the Austism spectrum, on the Ace Spectrum, and I identify as Agender/Non-Binary. I do identify as panromantic though.

DuranDuranfan

An update on my gender identity: I’m bigender. 
So I’m an Andro-romantic Grey-A, I’m on the spectrum and I’m bigender.

• 9 months later...

@QuirkyGeek

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived