Non-english film and TV programmes

iff

So inspired by a thread in off-a, this thread is for TV, film that you like that isn't in English.

If posting trailers, please do it from official affiliated to the show sites

I really enjoyed this series on tg4 about friends in a dreary town who start a band (can find some pretty Irish language versions of songs from various acts on YouTube)

On a much bigger budget (not hard) my brilliant friend first season was great too, the adaptation of the first book in Elena ferrabte's tetralogy

Ooh, there are so many to choose from!

Let's see if I can remember a few of my favorites. For T.V. shows, there's Un Village Français, Engrenages, Borgen, Bron/Broen.

I'll have to think a while about which films are my favorite.

Oh, I think Lion was considered a foreign film because in part of the film, some of the characters speak Bengali or Hindi. I liked that one and the book because it was based on a true story.

There's also Tomboy, the 2011 French film.

Skycaptain

This film, Banzaï, Zeze 1983, this is just a trailer, the full film is subscription only 

https://youtu.be/GtLSKWB2ChM

Film wise, Amelie is lovely RomCom in french, it is a fun little story but hard to explain. About a girl who falls for a man who looses a photo album and how she leaves trails for him to find it. Has lots of little odd quirky bits in, and mini stories.  

Pans Labyrinth another great, quite dark fairytale based in WW2 and tells the story of a little girl who has to complete some fairy quests.

Plus the Night Watch/Day Watch films, in Russian, dark supernatural thriller films. Based on humans with supernatural abilities and vampires etc and the battle between light and dark. 

20 minutes ago, Lilsi said:

Film wise, Amelie is lovely RomCom in french, it is a fun little story but hard to explain. About a girl who falls for a man who looses a photo album and how she leaves trails for him to find it. Has lots of little odd quirky bits in, and mini stories.  

Pans Labyrinth another great, quite dark fairytale based in WW2 and tells the story of a little girl who has to complete some fairy quests.

Plus the Night Watch/Day Watch films, in Russian, dark supernatural thriller films. Based on humans with supernatural abilities and vampires etc and the battle between light and dark. 

Amelie and Pan’s Labyrinth are two of my favourite films! :D 

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not is a great French film with Audrey Tautou, although it is pretty creepy- there’s a great twist!

Inspector Montalbano is a classic Sicilian detective show- there’s also a spinoff called the Young Montalbano which I watch solely for Olivia Sellerio’s singing.

There are lots of TV shows on Netflix- two Spanish shows I recommend are Cable Girls (about the 1920s in Madrid) and Alta Mar (about a mystery on a cruise ship- no idea what’s going on but I’m hooked!)

1 hour ago, Lilsi said:

Film wise, Amelie

So good. Audrey Tatou is just perfect for the part.

Elftober Country
1 hour ago, Lilsi said:

A 'must see' film if ever there was one.

For films... "Le pacte des loups" - "Renaissance" (which got english dub) - "Happiness of the Katakuris" - "Dolls" (2002 from Takeshi Kitano) - 

Grumpy Alien

I’m just getting into Charité

2 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

There's also Tomboy, the 2011 French film.

A really good movie, as was the Chilean film A Fantastic Woman about a transwoman whose partner dies.

A really good German movie that comes to mind is Victoria, it was done by a single take, which if you seen it is a great achievement but couldn't qualify for the academy awards as it had two much English.

Last night I finished the Easy Money crime trilogy. Very good. Thought the middle part was weak but with the first and third, worked out good. It is about a guy who through all fault of his own, get involves with Swedish Crime gang in order to fund a similar lifestyle to his rich college pals

French:

Rien a declare

German

Lola Rennt

Goodbye Lenin

Downfall

Italian

Life is beautiful

Russian

Moscow doesn't believe in tears 

Archived