The Beat - "Queerness In Comics: Jughead"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.comicsbeat.com/queerness-in-comics-jughead/

27 June 2019

The website is a column about queer representation in comics (hence the name). This one focuses on Jughead. 

When Jughead was relaunched, it received attention for its decision to confirm that Jughead was asexual. The explicit statement comes in issue 4, when Kevin Keller remarks that Jughead doesn’t understand the trials and tribulations of the limited dating pool available to him as a gay student at Riverdale High. Jughead confirms the statement by telling Kevin that the fact that he isn’t “hobbled by these hormonal impulses” like the rest of his classmates simply affords him clarity of vision, since he isn’t constantly distracted by the prospect of sex.

With the confirmation of Jughead’s sexuality out of the way, however, there isn’t much further discussion on the matter in the first six issues – although the ongoing story arc, in which Jughead finds himself suspicious of the new school administration even while everyone surrounding him assures him that everything’s fine, is sure to resonate with queer readers. In large part, this is because officially confirming Jughead as asexual is hardly a departure for the character.

4 hours ago, KrystalLost said:

And then in a movie they completely threw away his asexuality.

I freakin' hate that, man.

• 1 year later...

Reading about Jughead's experiences in that new comic series is honestly what finally helped me come to terms with how I identify. I could relate to him so much, and I had lots of "oh my goodness... that's me!" moments when reading. He's such a well-written ace character, which still amazes me. From the subtle ace/aro jokes he makes, to a conflict with his girl-crazed pal, it adds to the story while also not being his only personality trait. I wish we had more ace rep like that!

Archived