If you had the opportunity to have breast removal surgery at no cost and no risk, would you do it? Why or why not?

Anonymous Axolotl

If you had the opportunity to have breast removal surgery at no cost and no risk, would you do it?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the opportunity to have breast removal surgery at no cost and no risk, would you do it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • Does not apply

This poll is closed to new votes

DuranDuranfan

I would rather get a reduction than a full removal. Maybe an A cup size. Even with A cups there’s practically no bounce. 

Anyone with A cups feel free to correct me if I’m wrong though.

fooledbysecrecy

that's the dream! getting rid of my boobs would wipe out most of my body image issues.

HELL YES, I'd be all over that. I mean, I'm seriously considering it even with the cost and risk, so... yeah. I'd still have to overcome the medical anxiety, but I would feel so much better, and if I knew there was no risk, I expect I'd be able to get over the medical anxiety better.

I have never liked my breasts. When they started growing, the other girls said not to sleep in a bra or else they wouldn't grow as much. I immediately started sleeping in a bra.

Though I didn't want to wear a bra. My mother forced me. She used to put her hand inside my shirt to check the strap on my shoulder to make sure. Once, I put an unattached strap there to fool her so I could pull it out right after. But she pulled too hard, the whole strap came out and she was pissed.

Though my breasts are small, 32 B, it would be so much better if they were even smaller because I am a runner and I'm tired of strapping them down with a high impact sports bra to keep them from moving. I also imagine if I was totally flat chested that I could take off my shirt in public without people screeching about it, even though it would probably still weird them out since I am noticeably female. What could they really say? I'd be as flat as a board.

You get to wear more clothes the smaller your breasts are, as well. You can wear plunging, dramatic, or just otherwise more skimpy tops without people acting like you're a prostitute.

I also think flat chested women look very elegant.

The women I work with all talk about wanting implants, they all want bigger boobs. I can't understand this for the life of me. I think they're stupid. I'm sorry I feel this way,  but it's the truth. I don't think they even believe I'm being genuine when I tell them how stupid breasts are. I think they think I'm just like them and want a huge, annoying rack and am just trying to seem special, cool, different. This only convinces me further of their stupidity.

Though, since I've had my breasts for a long, long time, it's possible that it would freak me out if they were removed because I would look so different, that I wouldn't recognize my body as mine. I've read about plastic surgery and how this sometimes happens to people who have had good work done. They got exactly what they wanted, but still experience psychological distress because they can't get used to not looking like themselves anymore.

No because mine are already sooo tiny & flat that the surgery wouldn't change anything. 

On 8/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, GlamRocker said:

You get to wear more clothes the smaller your breasts are, as well. You can wear plunging, dramatic, or just otherwise more skimpy tops without people acting like you're a prostitute.

I also think flat chested women look very elegant.

Thanks for the complement 😊, but I don't feel my chest looks elegant. I definitely cannot wear plunging, dramatic, or anything near low-cut due to the flatness...Bend forward just slightly and everything shows, plus loose/empty chest areas on clothes is not a good look. Bikinis are hard because there is nothing to hold them up so they look empty and ill-fitting. I have to put pads in the suit, be sure nothing will show or shift when wet or when I move/bend, and be sure not too much chest shows due to the unnatural look. A flat chest is more of a pain in the ass than it looks, believe me. I'd be happier with an A-cup... just one cup so I can wear what I want without me worrying about flashing people or having them worry about my health. I'd be even happier if people didn't care about women's breasts and minded their own bodies, but that's not the way it is.

It doesn't apply to me but if this was the male sort of counter part to removing your breasts I would definitely do it

Under the riskless fantasy circumstances suggested, yes. They're of no use to me (I haven't had children and am now too old to) and I personally find them unattractive (on myself) because I'd prefer to look more androgynous. 

DragonSpirit

I wish my breasts were really small so they don't get in the way. I don't think I would want them gone all the way though.

• 2 weeks later...

Either gone or several sizes smaller. I hurt everyday and I just want relief! No one should be an I cup by 14. I have permanent gouges in my ribs and shoulders from my bras. Breathing is difficult and forget running. I would love something to be done about them no questions asked!!!

DuranDuranfan
6 minutes ago, CeciThorne said:

Either gone or several sizes smaller. I hurt everyday and I just want relief! No one should be an I cup by 14. I have permanent gouges in my ribs and shoulders from my bras. Breathing is difficult and forget running. I would love something to be done about them no questions asked!!!

Talk to your doctor. This sounds like concrete medical evidence that you need a consultation for a reduction.

1 minute ago, DuranDuranfan said:

Talk to your doctor. This sounds like concrete medical evidence that you need a consultation for a reduction.

She refused multiple times. As did the doctor before her. I'm stuck but at least I can cope even if not well

DuranDuranfan
3 minutes ago, CeciThorne said:

She refused multiple times. As did the doctor before her. I'm stuck but at least I can cope even if not well

What? Don’t they realize this is gonna set you up for back problems later in life? 

Maybe there’s a place that can do a consultation without a doctor referral?

I would prefer to get a reduction because some days I feel more feminine and want to have a chest but other days want to wear a binder / be more masc. I'd rather have a smaller chest so I could have that option but honestly, yes.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:59 AM, Anonymous Axolotl said:

Of course, there’s always going to be some risk (and very often, some cost) with surgery, but hypothetically if you could have them removed without either, would you? Why?

This isn’t a question solely aimed at people with body dysphoria, but rather, anyone who wants to answer and finds it applicable. I am aware that body dysphoria is much more serious than just discomfort, but I’ve talked to others who feel like their gender matches or compliments their sex, but don’t like the idea of having breasts due to physical discomfort, how they’re treated because of them, or other reasons. I just want to know if/how much that extends into AVEN’s user base.

No. Past me might have, teenage years were a bit 😕 because I didn't like my body changing and I'm active and bras were uncomfortable it took me time to get back into the swing of things. Then again there is always a risk and

On 7/6/2019 at 6:42 AM, margot-rain said:

I don't feel strongly enough about it to risk surgery. 

On 8/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, firewallflower said:

[...]without body dysphoria, that particular aspect is not an issue for me—if anything, it's possible that being breast-less might even become a source of dysphoria for me, though it's hard to know.

While most of the time I don't have strong feelings about my breasts one way or another, they are a part of my body that I'm mostly happy with, and I would not want to remove them, even in a cost-free, risk-free procedure. (Not that I would be inclined to 100% believe anyone who told me such a thing was possible. There's always a risk, no matter how small... and alas, there's usually a cost too. 😛)

Basically this. I don't have body dysphoria and I'm really not a fan of the idea of going under the knife unless I absolutely have to and it's a (mental and/or physical) health issue. So really I'm more worried about body dysphoria if I mess with the body I've gotten comfortable in.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:20 AM, Galactic Turtle said:

No. They're small and cause me no issues. If I'm going to slice myself up it needs to be for a good reason. 

Reproductive system? Absolutely. Small but deadly. Would gladly set it on fire if it wouldn't kill me in the process. 

There was a time I did consider it to a lesser degree. XD I have since decided it's along the same lines of 'messing with things sound like more trouble then they are worth (to me)'.

Probably.  My biggest reservation would be if I could breast feed my kids someday, but that window seems to be closing.  And honestly, bottle fed is not a big issue.  It's more about holding your kids lots.  So, yeah.  Lets go with yes.

• 4 weeks later...

I would consider having my implants replaced with smaller ones if it was free. LOL while I like having them I think it would be nice to have them being less noticeable for sure 

I mean, I paid for my own top surgery almost 2.5 years ago, so it’d be moot now. Past me would have given a resounding yes though, especially with the ‘no risk’ element. :P While I love how my chest looks now, the recovery was pretty dang rough for those first month or so, complete with three ER visits and two days in the hospital. Even with all that, I would still have been willing to experience that 10x over if that was what I needed to do to get a flat chest. The chest dysphoria I used to experience was pretty damn bad, and I’ll never forget how I felt waking up from surgery and Immediately noticing that the dysphoria was simply gone. :) 

I would not consider removing my breasts, even if it were free.

Here's why:

I identify as a cis Feminine Female.

My bewbs while annoying, are part of want makes me soft ( huggable) , and attractive in my eyes.

I'm petite there so they dont usually get in the way. The only major annoyance I've noticed is when I dont wear bras there are negative reactions to seeing my nips/areolas shapes. 🤷🏾‍♀️ Which is their issue not really mine but the nagging bothers me.

Since I have a high self esteem I enjoy my beauty and find it to be normal that others would also enjoy looking at my curves.

My identity as an ace isnt impacted from how others view me, either as a someone to admire, or someone to fantasize about. 

I dont have any health high risks associated with my chest, so there really is no need to consider having them removed.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz8oYVjVc3u-wIC8B5_Vt

Celyn: The Lutening

It may seem irrational because I'm pretty small in that department, enough that I can lie on my front and look totally flat with just a sports bra and the right shirt and all that fun stuff, but they still cause me a lot of heartache and feel very wrong, they disgust me, GET THEM OFF YESTERDAY. Bring on the pain and cost.

Spoiler

I definitely would, as I have a higher family history with that specific form of cancer. If the surgery was ever free, I'd want the surgery done by my current plastic surgeon as I feel comfortable with him and feel like he gives great care\aftercare. 

Anonymous Axolotl

Having returned to this thread after my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer this past month only further reinforces my strong "get these useless things off of me" mindset. I honestly see far more downsides than upsides with boobs, but that's just my opinion.

@GlamRocker I'm surprised at how much in common we share regarding this! I'm a 32 B as well, and I agree that flat chested woman are quite elegant. I would also love to be able to take off my shirt without being called out for indecency. I get a lot of hot flashes but will also get incredibly cold easily, and can swing drastically between the two. I wear layers, but hate having to strip down to my undershirt or even worse, having to find a bathroom to strip off everything from my upper body and then pick what I want to wear, is such a pain when I could feasibly do it right where I stand if I were flat chested and could pass as androgynous. I totally echo your statement on the big boobs and breast implants thing. Wouldn't bigger breasts just make things more difficult? I really can't fathom the appeal. It seems insane to me.

No cost, no risk absolutelty, even better if it were pain free.

I don't hate them but I dislike them and don't see the point of them; two milk bags (with the high chance of never being used as such) which are constantly in the way, causing me distress as well as the cancer risk.

I have to wear shirts with high necks since I 'forget' myself quite often and lean forward a lot and it's just no fun to have to think about them jumping out all the time since all I want is to forget I even have them. Sports bras are fantastic inventions since they keep them in place and makes me forget about them more easily than using regular bras.

Also agreeing with what many others said, to be able to lie comfortably on my stomach. 

Could I do just like, a reduction?

Big boobs are annoying for me. Bras are expensive, and the more weight you've got to carry around in them, the quicker said bras wear out. That's after you've actually found some that fit properly. Also, when button-down shirts do "the thing," it's not cute, it's just problematic. I have to buy XL shirts literally just because of my boobs.

If it worked that way, I'd be happy to donate half my boob mass to someone who wanted it more than me.

It would be a no brainer for me, I think.

I can't say I ever liked or wanted them.

They are small, so I can use sports bras, but sports bras don't hide everything. I find them kinda suffocating as well, so to be able to go without that would be great.

As lots of people have said, I would love to be able to go shirtless when its hot without it being seen as indecent.

It would be nice to not have to worry about the cancer risk too.

I think it would be the little things I would appreciate most, like not being self concious about hugging dudes, or being able to wearing loose t-shirts without worrying about showing everything when I bend over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, Anonymous Axolotl said:

The possibility of breast cancer would be greatly reduced (as a side note, AMAB people can also get breast cancer, although it’s much less common. I hope I’m not scaring anyone, I just want to spread some awareness for something often overlooked.)

And apparently (evidence required) is more likely to kill if you don't have a lot of breast tissue.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:26 PM, Iridium said:

Sometimes I wonder if they're just one of those unnecessary decorative features, like a peacock's tail.  There are plenty of mammals that have hardly any visible breast "lumps".

Yes, but just imagine being a cow (I mean the animal, not a horrible person 🙂 ) That will be uncomfortable, surely, to have udders knocking about like that when you walk.

DuranDuranfan
On 11/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, Gethealien said:

Can you do a hysterectomy too?

Partial for me. Don’t want to experience menopause just yet. Only want to save money from not having to buy tampons or condoms.

Archived