If you had the opportunity to have breast removal surgery at no cost and no risk, would you do it? Why or why not?

Anonymous Axolotl

If you had the opportunity to have breast removal surgery at no cost and no risk, would you do it?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the opportunity to have breast removal surgery at no cost and no risk, would you do it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • Does not apply

This poll is closed to new votes

Anonymous Axolotl

Of course, there’s always going to be some risk (and very often, some cost) with surgery, but hypothetically if you could have them removed without either, would you? Why?

This isn’t a question solely aimed at people with body dysphoria, but rather, anyone who wants to answer and finds it applicable. I am aware that body dysphoria is much more serious than just discomfort, but I’ve talked to others who feel like their gender matches or compliments their sex, but don’t like the idea of having breasts due to physical discomfort, how they’re treated because of them, or other reasons. I just want to know if/how much that extends into AVEN’s user base.

I probably would get mine removed. Reasons:

• I miss laying on my stomach comfortably
  • I have a subclavian port-a-cath on the left half of my chest and “boob fat” makes it somewhat unstable/awkward to access
  • I could wear more variety of clothing comfortably
  • I could much more easily pass as being androgynous (I really, really wish for this one)
  • The possibility of breast cancer would be greatly reduced (as a side note, AMAB people can also get breast cancer, although it’s much less common. I hope I’m not scaring anyone, I just want to spread some awareness for something often overlooked.)
  • I wouldn’t have to spend money on bras
  • I wouldn’t have to feel self-conscious of the possibility of someone looking at my chest
  • I feel like I have more but I’m totally blanking on them.

I would totally get mine removed if I could. I'm a cis female but I've always hated my breasts. 

Absolutely! as a nonbinary person this would be fantastic! Reasons why:

- (I also agree) so people wont be looking at them

- so people won't see me as female no matter how I try to dress

- so I can wear any kind of shirts comfortably and they will actually fit right and not protrude

- so I can wear my backpack comfortably without having to adjust my shirt

- so the seatbelt won't make them stand out

- so I can run without jiggle

- so I can walk around with no shirt at the beach

everywhere and nowhere

I think I would. I identify as female, but I realised that I simply don't need to be "feminine" to know that I'm a woman. I don't need to be sexually attractive, I even actively want not to be sexually attractive.

On the other hand, there would still be one thing keeping me from it: my immense nudity aversion. But perhaps I could clench my teeth this single time - these are only boobs (as for more intimate areas, nobody is ever gonna see or touch them. 100% Sexually Unavailable) and getting rid of them could... Or maybe it could not, my nudity aversion is really huge and I haven't tried overcoming it for many years because I just don't see any reason to do it. I don't want a non-sex-averse and non-nudity-averse version of "me". I feel like it would no longer be "me".

Galactic Turtle

No. They're small and cause me no issues. If I'm going to slice myself up it needs to be for a good reason. 

Reproductive system? Absolutely. Small but deadly. Would gladly set it on fire if it wouldn't kill me in the process. 

I don’t really care either way. Mine aren’t big at all (32A bras are loose on me), so I barely notice them anyway.

abandoned-account

With no cost or risk, then YES in a heartbeat. I have most of the same reasons as you, I feel nothing positive about having them and to me they're nothing but an unwanted nuisance.

2 hours ago, Anonymous Axolotl said:

I miss laying on my stomach comfortably

So true 😭

Grumpy Alien

No but if they could become detachable rather than removed, that’d be awesome!

LonesomeCrow

Would definitely get them removed if I could.

scarletlatitude

YES. Or at least reduce them a bit. I'm androgynous and they get in the way. 

Captain_Tass

Yeah, tbh. I just think that I'd look better and that I could rock my favourite shirts (or no shirt). Also, no more bras. I most likely won't pursue top surgery because of the cost and risk though, as well as the fact that my chest dysphoria isn't too severe as my chest is on the small side. (unless bras with padding are involved, I want to scream then)

4 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I even actively want not to be sexually attractive.

I relate to that SO much. I realise that it might seem odd as I'm most likely graysexual (or maybe even anegosexual) and not ace (although I qualify as effectively asexual, at least at this point in my life), but I really don't want to be looked at that way.

4 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I identify as female, but I realised that I simply don't need to be "feminine" to know that I'm a woman.

I love how this is absolutely true for me but in a different way. I identify as agender, and no matter how (traditionally) feminine or masculine I present and/or behave, I still know that I'm agender.

Anonymous Axolotl
5 hours ago, Starbucks Covfefe said:

- so I can wear any kind of shirts comfortably and they will actually fit right and not protrude

- so the seatbelt won't make them stand out

Yes! I really feel you on these points.

5 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I don't need to be sexually attractive, I even actively want not to be sexually attractive.

I really relate to this. My attire is literally whatever is most comfortable, with the second priority being unattractiveness. I don't want to look sexually attractive and I really don't feel comfortable "dressing up" in any way.

5 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Reproductive system? Absolutely. Small but deadly. Would gladly set it on fire if it wouldn't kill me in the process. 

Oh gosh yes! I really wish I could banish my uterus to the depths of hell. Other than the costs and surgery/surgery related issues, the only thing that's holding me back is the fact that the reproductive system is a major contributor in producing some hormones. (Regardless of if I would get a hysterectomy, I still have to use an estrogen gel since my body doesn't produce enough estrogen anyway.)

5 hours ago, CBC said:

They're not even big, they're just... unnecessary.

Yeah, I can't agree more. They're literally extra baggage. (At least, that's how I interpret them.)

5 hours ago, Gloomy said:

Mine aren’t big at all (32A bras are loose on me), so I barely notice them anyway.

I fit pretty well into 32B bras, so mine aren't the worst, but I still find them a nuisance nonetheless. 32A bras being loose sounds pretty nice in terms of a small chest.

2 hours ago, disGraceful said:

This would be pretty incredible. I've always wished that breasts would be pretty flat all the time and only develop when someone is pregnant since having a baby is the only time they're going to come into use anyway.

3 hours ago, disGraceful said:

And you could get them in different sizes and shapes! A whole new market just appeared.  

5 hours ago, disGraceful said:

now that i can relate to, although i wonder how other people would feel seeing me just casually detaching my breasts 😂

it'd also be convienient so that i could sleep in a more comfortable position, so that sounds nice

Anthracite_Impreza

100% yes. I hate the fuckers, I can't even be seen without a binder any more. 

Yes I would. Make a lot of things much easier (including climbing)

Green and Purple Dragon

I would.  I really don’t like the look of them, and they just get in the way.  I want to lay on my stomach comfortably and I also want to be able to jump and run without worrying about them at all.

Fantastic Name

Everything would be so much easier without these useless parasitic marshmallows on my body.

i wouldn’t. 

just cause boobs are great and i love everybody who has them. who doesn’t love boobs?

although i respect anyone who disagrees with me :)

margot-rain

Abso-f*cking-lutely! I have intermittent chest dsyphoria, and would really like to get rid of my breasts. They're annoying, clothes never fit right, I hate wearing bras and I get really bad breast pain when PMS-ing. Only thing that would maybe make me pause is that, if I ever have a biological child (unlikely but not impossible) then I would want to breastfeed, if possible. I think you can get them reduced and still breastfeed though, so if that was an option, then definitely, I'd reduce them to like an A cup (currently DD). That would help a lot. Unfortunately, it does cost money (don't think nhs would pay) and I don't feel strongly enough about it to risk surgery. 

• 3 weeks later...

I probably would. Mine aren't all that big but the idea that other people can see them and just *know* that I'm afab makes me incredibly uncomfortable. Also, bras are way too expensive.

Heck yes! I’m agender and they’re a great source of dysphoria. It feels like they shouldn’t be there. Plus, they’re big. They were small until a couple of years into college, then they ballooned. (A/B, it was on the cusp, to DD.) 

Also, my mom had breast cancer as well as her mom and one of her sisters. I have a huge risk factor. Not to mention I’m of Ashkenazi descent and it’s one of the most at risk groups for it. I see them as cancer makers this way. Ticking time bombs.

My insurance can cover top surgery if I get letters and go through their gender program. I think the surgery will be either free of a copay or $10. Not much. They’ll cover the rest of it. So, cost won’t be as much of a factor.

BambooRiver

I'm agender and the small mounds of fat on my chest dont really bother me. I dont even totally fill out an a cup so I dont wear bras or binders or anything like that. But, my beef is the damn nipples. They are so annoying. They stick out, rub on fabric, and mine sometimes burn when it's cold out. Annoying little friggers. I would happily have them removed and also the mammory glands just so I won't have to worry about breast cancer. The little fat that remains is totally fine. I would also remove all the reproductive organs and genitalia and become totally sexless if I could. That's where most of my dysphoria originates.

Sometimes I wonder if they're just one of those unnecessary decorative features, like a peacock's tail.  There are plenty of mammals that have hardly any visible breast "lumps".

DarkStormyKnight

I would definitely do it, not having to wear a bra and deal with all that sounds great to me.

firewallflower

I would not. As a cisgender woman without body dysphoria, that particular aspect is not an issue for me—if anything, it's possible that being breast-less might even become a source of dysphoria for me, though it's hard to know. If I were to have a biological child (which I'm not at all sure I'll ever want to do, but who knows?), then I would like to breastfeed, so there's also that in terms of keeping options open. The cancer thing is, yeah, scary. The list of conditions that run on both sides of my family, including cancers, is scary and long. But, well. 😬

While most of the time I don't have strong feelings about my breasts one way or another, they are a part of my body that I'm mostly happy with, and I would not want to remove them, even in a cost-free, risk-free procedure. (Not that I would be inclined to 100% believe anyone who told me such a thing was possible. There's always a risk, no matter how small... and alas, there's usually a cost too. 😛)

Archived