6. 6. Worshiped or worshipped?

• Worshiped
    • Worshipped
    • Both/neither
  7. 7. Whoa or woah?

• Whoa
    • Woah
    • Both/neither
  8. 8. Is proper spelling important to you?

• Yes, very
    • Yes, kinda
    • Meh/no opinion
    • No, not really
    • No, not at all
    • Other (please explain!)
  9. 9. Do you get irritated when people don't spell words using your preferred spelling?

• Yes, very
    • Yes, kinda
    • Meh
    • No, not really
    • No, not at all
    • Other (please explain!)

This poll is closed to new votes

On 7/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, Quasar.w said:

why is there a debate between Pfannkuchen and Berliner?

People in Berlin call Berliner "Pfannkuchen" and Pfannkuchen "Eierkuchen".

In Württemberg we distinguish Krapfen and Berliners. Berliners have jam inside, Krapfen don't.

• 1 month later...

I used to care a lot more about proper spelling, but then I realized that was ableist.  A lot of folks have communication disorders.  If you understand what someone is trying to say, why give them a hard time?

AceMissBehaving
1 minute ago, Ferocious Cub said:

I used to care a lot more about proper spelling, but then I realized that was ableist.  A lot of folks have communication disorders.  If you understand what someone is trying to say, why give them a hard time?

Thank you!

Grey, both fiber and fibre look fine to me, 'til, sync, axe, worshipped, whoah (so neither).

Spelling is important to me, partly because I spent so long struggling with it and to some extent still do. That may seem odd - I'm not great at spelling, I make a lot of typos, I'm dyslexic - but I guess I like to prove to myself that I can do it. Or something. It doesn't bother me if other people spell things incorrectly, though, unless I know they're doing it on purpose.

• 8 months later...
ace bookdragon

If the person is using a different spelling of a word because of their region (color and colour), fine. But if the spelling is just bad in general, then no thanks. This is something that really makes me cringe. There are some exceptions to this, like with dyslexic people. 

If I recognize the spelling as something acceptable in various places (like ax vs axe) then I don't care. But if you're going around not caring about spelling at all, then yeah, I care. 

GingerRose

I just keep laughing about when my third grade student spelled "dropped" like "drop'd".. :-) 

• 2 months later...

8. Is proper spelling important to you?

Yes: in what I usually understand to be proper spelling: you're VS your, as well as vocab mistakes etc. I think it's important to learn to write correctly if you can, but I also think it's beautiful that people learn other languages, and that you don't need to be speaking/writing it perfectly to start using it. And therefore judging without knowing is, as often, potentially damaging. As a teacher, though, I find it important to correct others' mistakes so that they can improve, as long as it's not a way to take their voice away.

These examples are mostly geographical difference, and as I'm not a native speaker, I just chose British spelling to choose something (because you have to be consistent), but I could've chosen another type of English.

• 3 weeks later...

@Fantastic Name

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived