What is a rather strange or rare hobby that you have?

Hylethilei

Hylethilei
19 hours ago, Layria said:

I make figures out of pipe cleaners (chenille stems, fuzzy sticks, whatever you want to call them) and wire. I constantly have to explain to people that I don't make stick figures, I make really complex 3D figures that usually take between two and four hours to make each, usually of characters or original designs. And the only place to find the materials I use is in the kid's crafts section of the craft store.

I also do boffer with a group of friends at school. We get a lot of strange looks from people when we play outside, but it's fun so we don't mind. 

I would love to see some pics if you don't mind! That sounds really awesome!

14 hours ago, UnderworldFan1988 said:

I would love to see some pics if you don't mind! That sounds really awesome!

Sure! Let's see if I can figure out how to attach pictures, I've never done this before. This is a group of four photos.

Top left: Scanlan from Critical Role, made last week, took 1.5 hours. Stands up on its own. 

Top right: Rider and his horse from Fate/Zero, made last year, took days. Stands up on its own. Sorry for the terrible photo quality.

Bottom left: Made for a friend, took half an hour.

Bottom right: Piano, made last year, took days. Piano opens in three positions and has pedals. Again, sorry for the terrible photo quality.

4-Pipecleaner-Photos.jpg

Hylethilei
Just now, Layria said:

Sure! Let's see if I can figure out how to attach pictures, I've never done this before. This is a group of four photos.

Top left: Scanlan from Critical Role, made last week, took 1.5 hours. Stands up on its own. 

Top right: Rider and his horse from Fate/Zero, made last year, took days. Stands up on its own. Sorry for the terrible photo quality.

Bottom left: Made for a friend, took half an hour.

Bottom right: Piano, made last year, took days. Piano opens in three positions and has pedals. Again, sorry for the terrible photo quality.

4-Pipecleaner-Photos.jpg

Oh man I love these! Did you create this style yourself?

Just now, UnderworldFan1988 said:

Oh man I love these! Did you create this style yourself?

Thank you so much! Yes, I did! They are all 100% pipe cleaners and wire, no glue or other adhesive. I only know one other person who does something similar, but not this complex. If you have an instagram, I post pictures on there sometimes if you want to see more. If this forum had a gallery feature I would post more pictures here too, I love making these and sharing them with others!

Hylethilei
4 minutes ago, Layria said:

Thank you so much! Yes, I did! They are all 100% pipe cleaners and wire, no glue or other adhesive. I only know one other person who does something similar, but not this complex. If you have an instagram, I post pictures on there sometimes if you want to see more. If this forum had a gallery feature I would post more pictures here too, I love making these and sharing them with others!

Sure! send me a pm!

50 minutes ago, Strange-quark said:

running in the forest and climbing hills and swimming through swamps and getting all muddy

Like this? :D

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Strange-quark said:

medieval and renaissance and folk music

I like listening to this style during open-air re-enactments. Can you recommend an artist?

10 hours ago, Layria said:

I only know one other person who does something similar, but not this complex. 

Now, that's a unique hobby :) 

CelesteAdAstra
4 hours ago, Strange-quark said:

So cool! Is psaltery tricky to learn?

Not at all, I've tried some instruments in my time and it's among the easier ones for me!

4 hours ago, Strange-quark said:

Here's mine:

running in the forest and climbing hills and swimming through swamps and getting all muddy

peat bogs :wub:

getting exited about old instruments, but being too lazy to actually learn them

folk dance

heh studying

nostalgia about things I don't remember, such as punch cards programming

(mentally) collecting car registration numbers

hoarding things and thoughts

amateur geology and etymology

atlases

books of formulae and tables

what a lovely list! I obviously appreciate those styles of music, too, and all those wonderful instruments! If I had enough money, I'd probably get a hammered dulcimer or a hurdy-gurdy, I'm in love with the sounds they make 😍

I love atlases just as much! I was always obsessed with geography and looked at norders and flags for hours when I was a child.

Which type of folk dance are you interested in?

2 minutes ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

I love atlases just as much! I was always obsessed with geography and looked at norders and flags for hours when I was a child.

When I was a kid I would spend hours drawing flags. I can still recognize most of them :) I can also pinpoint a given country on a contour map* with a reasonable accuracy.

CelesteAdAstra
26 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

When I was a kid I would spend hours drawing flags. I can still recognize most of them :) I can also pinpoint a given country on a contour map* with a reasonable accuracy.

Haha, that was exactly me as a child 😁 (or, I admit, it still is... flags are just so wunderful!) I also used to draw maps back then, and I played geography games on my PC.

5 hours ago, Strange-quark said:

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, this is one of the bands I like.

Spoiler

Both these pieces are militaristic in subject matter, but they also have more folksy "medieval dance hits" in their repertoire.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, CustardCream said:

I make bobbin lace. I'm only a beginner, and prefer a heavier, braided look, but it's a cool hobby. And I make jewellery and do fabric painting.

I also make bobbin lace, and tat. I belong to a lace guild, and they have taught me a lot. If you haven't found one, look around online. I know people think lace making is a strange hobby, but there are others out there.

It's not really a hobby really, but for some reason when I was a kid I wanted to collect cantops. Like those small pieces of metal you use to open a can of beer or soda. I have no idea why, but it became sort of a compulsion, like I had to collect them. This is the first year I haven't and that's only because I don't buy many cans here, and I know as soon as I start buying cans again, I'm just going to start back up collecting them. 

My hobby is studying. Which is a bit strange, as I'm a student… I study other subjects than the ones I study at university though! In fact, when I was still in school, I used to attend classes on Saturday in order to learn. I just really like learning things! I loved school because of the amount of things I would learn. However, I used to and I still get weird looks.

-Hey, so what do you do after school?

-Uuhhhh, more studying, I guess?  😂

Learning about hobbies I could have and things I could learn and getting all hyped up but never actually doing anything

1 hour ago, Strange-quark said:

The same, especially when it comes to music :(

Yeah, that and languages. Basically I'm too lazy to push myself to learn that stuff even if I want to. Eh '-' 

CelesteAdAstra

I know your pain, @Strange-quark and @PoeciMeta. So many things to be done, so little time and energy to actually start. I am doing a few things, but not nearly as much as I would like.

i have a passion for puzzle games (particularly falling block type games) and studying demons, of all things

I also really like digging up the history of my old school! It's quite interesting, really. Before my school was built, there was another school on the same site and I like digging up the history of that school too. Sometimes, it turns into archaeology. 😁

FindingTheta

I pick locks, and I also re-pin them. I ended up freaking out my friend when he bought a thick pad lock that I was able to successfully pick in seconds.

The hobby has it's perks: I don't need a locksmith.

• 5 months later...
J. van Deijck

My job is my hobby. Simple as that.

Archived