Why is this group so reasonable????

uhtred

Strange question - but most political discussion groups quickly devolve into hostility. This one seems surprisingly reasonable.  Of course I don't agree with everyone else but the majority of arguments seem at least reasonable and considered, and there is surprisingly little name calling?

I don't see how that is related to the general site topic - but maybe it is?  Is there some connection between asexuality and non-emotional thinking????

Um, we aren't whipped up in sexual fevers?

... or something? Maybe we're mostly just tired of people being so negative.

Scottthespy

We all know what its like to be called out unreasonably for out big thing that other people don't understand, and it's given us the perspective to know that people do not all need to like the same things. Also, the thing we all have in common can make us feel alienated by general society, which makes being accepted so easily on Aven often have a sense of 'family' to it, and people are usually better at keeping it reasonable between their 'in' group than they are with their 'out' groups.

Also, I think a lot of us here know what its like to not be able to get our point across, so we try to explain things rationally so as to be understood, and then listen better so as to make sure others are understood. 

I wondered this too after first coming to AVEN. If you check sites like the DeviantART forums people will personally attack someone over something as simple as asking how to talk to someone. Or they'll just troll and spam you with shock images, which I've never had happen personally but I've seen enough to not want to have to see it again.

AVENites are calmer in a way. We have what we need and we know we'll all support each other in the end due to it being a smaller site.

Clearly it's because sexual attraction clouds political judgement 

/Salute to the Moderators too I think. 

I mean we do have fairly strictly moderated forums. If you start name calling you get warned and then banned for awhile if you keep it up. It's not considered acceptable, and it's actually punished so people don't tend to do it. 

Joe the Stoic

Eh, I would not say AVEN is good evidence of that.  If anything, the draconian policies of this site make the people most interested in topics less motivated to discuss them.

firewallflower

I rather doubt that asexuals as a whole are more (or less) reasonable than people in general—though it's certainly an appealing thought. ;) As mentioned, I'm inclined to give a lot of credit to the mods and ToS. Also—despite the vast variety of personalities and perspectives and opinions represented on AVEN—it seems likely that, once a community as a whole does happen to tend in a certain direction (e.g., away from name-calling), the membership at large is probably somewhat more likely to follow in that direction, and in turn, to attract more members who are also inclined in that direction. So, to an extent, it could be rather self-perpetuating.

However it came to be, I'm certainly very grateful to everyone here for working to maintain respect instead of hostility. Civil discourse for the win. :cake:

Skycaptain

@uhtred, probably because AVEN primarily a support group rather than an outright debating forum, therefore our ToS could well be stricter than, say, reddit. 

12 hours ago, uhtred said:

Is there some connection between asexuality and non-emotional thinking????

Ha!  How could  you possibly come to  that conclusion, we're just as emotional as anyone else, and perhaps even more so, because only asexuals see the absolute absurdity in everything!  :lol:  /sarcasm!  

1 hour ago, CBC said:

@Sally Good lord, you're up early! (Or late?)

/off-topic 

Early.  I had a horrendous auto accident 3 weeks ago and am not getting much sleep because of pain.  My mood is rather vicious also.  Before anyone interjects sarcastically, even more vicious than usual.  

27 minutes ago, Sally said:

Early.  I had a horrendous auto accident 3 weeks ago and am not getting much sleep because of pain.  My mood is rather vicious also.  Before anyone interjects sarcastically, even more vicious than usual.  

I'm sorry to hear that,  hope you recover quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...
microlabelAbolitionist
On 7/2/2019 at 7:49 PM, uhtred said:

Strange question - but most political discussion groups quickly devolve into hostility. This one seems surprisingly reasonable.  Of course I don't agree with everyone else but the majority of arguments seem at least reasonable and considered, and there is surprisingly little name calling?

I don't see how that is related to the general site topic - but maybe it is?  Is there some connection between asexuality and non-emotional thinking???

asexuals are not robots or a strange new species of human that lack emotions sexual feelings or any other human qualities the causes of asexuality (lack of interest in sex with people) varies from hormone deficiency  having a negative experience at some point creating an aversion to sex or being extremely introverted and having a general aversion to people in all aspects or other causes 

AceMissBehaving
6 minutes ago, microlabelAbolitionist said:

asexuals are not robots or a strange new species of human that lack emotions sexual feelings or any other human qualities the causes of asexuality (lack of interest in sex with people) varies from hormone deficiency  having a negative experience at some point creating an aversion to sex or being extremely introverted and having a general aversion to people in all aspects or other causes 

I don’t know about those being the causes. For a lot of people it’s just a straight up orientation they are born with. I would say it is for me at least.

I’m highly personable, extroverted, love meeting new people, have no sexual trauma, grew up in a sex positive household, and have well balanced hormones. I just don’t feel sexual attraction to anyone, and am perfectly happy to not have partnered sex.

microlabelAbolitionist
3 minutes ago, AceMissBehaving said:

I don’t know about those being the causes. For a lot of people it’s just a straight up orientation they are born with. I would say it is for me at least.

I’m highly personable, extroverted, love meeting new people, have no sexual trauma, grew up in a sex positive household, and have well balanced hormones. I just don’t feel sexual attraction to anyone, and am perfectly happy to not have partnered sex.

maybe this is an evolutionary reaction to overpopulation ? 😛

if so then yay humanity i dont think there is any good reason to differentiate between why people are asexual or the people who are aware or why they are asexual and those who have no idea why they are to find people who you feel something in common with is valuable even those who do believe they are not the same as other humans 

I think it's just that people on a small site with a relatively strict ToS are forced to be politer.  If you don't like it, you're free to head over to Reddit.

Knight of Cydonia

AVEN has a strict ToS. It's also pretty politically homogeneous (in this case, very left-leaning),so there's not much diversity in political discussion.

Not sure about everybody here but me personally? I think a lot of it has to do with my Autism and how I have been brought up by my mother. I have a very layback nature when it comes to discussions and only really get flustered if there are true facts thrown into the equation and people are denying them. (Ya know, like that alcohol is classified as a drug as a quick example).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that this group is more reasonable than others.

Archived