Sign in to follow this  
degenerate

Is AVEN the official asexual community?

degenerate

Meaning, is AVEN the authority on all things asexual? Is there any competing authority? Also, how active is AVEN in pursuing asexual interests, such as visibility, outside of the website? What political spheres does AVEN participate in?

MichaelTannock

I've moved this thread from 'Questions about Asexuality' to 'Site Comments'.

Michael Tannock,
Open Mic moderator and Questions about Asexuality Co-moderator.

• Like 1

Chris Zulas

well theres no way for something to be official on something like that, even if its the biggest source for info and biggest pusher for visibility and activism (and its all three of those things). thatd be like if there were an official midwestern forum, cant be a thing. but this is as close as itll ever get

• Like 2

gisiebob

I think it would be more correct to say AVEN is the unofficial authority on asexuality. 

this area might be of interest to you: https://www.asexuality.org/en/forum/42-visibility-and-education/

• Like 2

Skycaptain

AVEN is not an official authority. We simply the largest only community aimed primarily for those who identify as Asexual, their partners, families, etc. 

We are a useful point of call for researchers, journalists, authors etc who want to cover asexuality as a topic. We have the Research Approval Board who help publicise these requests within the community. 

Representations from AVEN did help get asexuality recognised in DSM-5, and some healthcare services, such as the British NHS do refer people who are questioning whether they may be asexual to AVEN for example. 

• Like 2

degenerate
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

AVEN did help get asexuality recognised in DSM-5

I just checked this out, read circled passages validating asexuality as not being a disorder. That's cool. One of the reasons I've asked this question is it seems the academic/science world views AVEN as the authority on asexuality. Every time I read something about asexuality in an article, a study, anything at all, really, it references AVEN. I wondered if there is a panel of people involved with AVEN who are the contacts for researchers. This would be a sort of authority on asexuality, considering. @gisiebob is right about "unofficial" being more correct.

15 hours ago, gisiebob said:

I noticed here that LGBT seems to be the main political sphere AVEN participates in. Wondered if there is any other way AVEN moves politically.

• Like 1

LeChat
8 hours ago, degenerate said:

...I wondered if there is a panel of people involved with AVEN who are the contacts for researchers...

Do you mean the Project Team? 

• Like 2

degenerate

@InquisitivePhilosopher I think that's exactly what I mean! About to check that out.

• Like 1