The word asexual

Zebrafinch

How did you find the word asexual?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find the word asexual?

• I heard it in another context and applied it to myself
    • My Latin is good enough for me come up with it on my own
    • I first heard it as a sexual orientation.

This poll is closed to new votes

Zebrafinch

I know there's a few of you who came up with or found the word asexual and applied it to yourselves before finding out that others had done the same. I'm just curious about how many of you did.

Anthracite_Impreza

I "invented" it before finding it on Wikipedia and AVEN.

Scottthespy
34 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I "invented" it before finding it on Wikipedia and AVEN.

Likewise. I found aven when I first searched it, but it was so long ago the site was in its infancy, and it didn't offer anything that made me want to stay at that time.

I found demisexual first from Ysabetwordsmith's fic Love is for Children: https://archiveofourown.org/series/42722 

When I looked up demisexual, it brought me to AVEN and I found the term asexual and what it meant. 

Skycaptain

Probably like most, I was first introduced to the term in a non-human sense during school biology, or at any rate from a biology textbook being read before we broached the subject at school. Only applied the term to myself much later 

I knew the term from biology and a few times called myself asexual, but I didn't think it was a legitimate orientation for a while. I'm ashamed of it now but I used to be really homophobic when I was a teenager. For a long time I thought sexuality was a choice and that I must have been straight but just mentally fucked up in some way. Even after I grew up and became a decent person, I was still unaware of asexuality until meeting someone who identified as such. As well I watched Bojack Horseman; I found Todd really relatable and finally figured myself out.

I heard about asexuality and many other sexualities way before I was 12. My reaction was something along the lines of "okay, cool" 

• 1 year later...

@Zebrafinch

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived