I want to help the LGBTQ+ community

girlwiththelongskirt

girlwiththelongskirt

Hello!

I have quite some free time on my hands and I would love to be more present in the LGBTQ+ community and help with whatever I can. I'm already active here on AVEN in the polls section and I'm always on the lookout for people who need input for a project but I would love to do more. Does anybody have an idea where or how I can help? I prefer working in my own room since I have social anxiety but that doesn't have to hinder the work I can do. I hope I'm able to explain what I'm looking for. In 'short' (not my strong suit):

I want to help the LGBTQ+ community be more visible and respected in the world. Since this is a big area of interest for me I do have quite some knowledge. I'm asexual myself and even though Englisch isn't my first language I'm quite fluent in it. What I'm asking for now is places or ways I can help. People who would like my help, sites or anything like that where I can offer my help, and so on.

Thanks so much! 

girlwiththelongskirt

This is a list of things I have thought of myself I could do/help with that might help someone think of someone/something to contact/go to and offer my help. This is just things I could think of but I'm definitely not limited to.

- transcribe  podcast/series/films/ etc.

- translate from/to dutch

- help think of/create LGBTQ+ characters for a serie/film/podcast/book/ etc.

- make an organization (products) more LGBTQ+ friendly

- fill in enquetes

- talk/write/etc. from an asexual point of view

- or anything else.

Anony-moose

You can always approach an LGBT+ society or organisation near you and present these ideas, work with them and such!

2 hours ago, Anony-moose said:

You can always approach an LGBT+ society or organisation near you and present these ideas, work with them and such!

Yes, it's probably a good thing to talk with those organizations and ask them what they'd like you to do.  Asexuals aren't necessary considered (by themselves or by LGBT people) to be part of the LGBT community, so direct requests to them would be best.  .  

Anony-moose
11 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yes, it's probably a good thing to talk with those organizations and ask them what they'd like you to do.  Asexuals aren't necessary considered (by themselves or by LGBT people) to be part of the LGBT community, so direct requests to them would be best.  .  

I see a lot of people saying that Asexuality isn't really seen as part of the LGBT+, but don't be discouraged as it may just be that they just haven't discussed it much as it is a very invisible sexuality. Then again, LGBTIP people are much more visible in society and as such tend to have more to fight for than we do. At least in my country, where asexuality and aromanticism is very unheard of (pride events have no ace or aro anything, I've only found an ace flag badge), the organisations do include asexuality in their glossaries and tend to be very inclusive and welcoming!

@Char-lotte99, I don't think anyone will try to exclude you from helping LGBT. At least I would hope not. And even if asexuality isn't considered part of LGBT, there's no reason why you can't raise awareness of asexuality and help LGBT at the same time. I'd contact my local LGBT organizations to get started!

Archived