Favorite extinct animal?

Crazycrazycultist

Crazycrazycultist
4 hours ago, LonesomeCrow said:

The Carolina parakeet (or rather conure). Our country's only native parrot but thanks to humans they are all gone..such a beautiful bird. 

They look so cool!

Bruce Wayne
On 7/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, A Cool Fool said:

Not sure why I became weirdly convinced fish weren't animals for a moment there, I appreciate the affirmations on the subject 😅

Nigel! That was his name! 

That show just reinforced my undying love of sharks, the scene where he encountered the Megalodon was one of the coolest things I remember seeing when I was little. 

It had a nice cliffhanger, too. It was genuinely one of 2 times in these programs, in which he met prehistoric animals, that I thought for a while he died.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:02 AM, Zagadka said:

Polar bears.

What, not yet? Oh. Just a year or so off then.

I hope never to have to answer this question with that answer but I worry that one day in my life, it will be and the thought makes me very sad.

My own answer is the Irish brown bear. It is a big pity that we don't have any of their remains in the natural history museum.

• 2 weeks later...
CelesteAdAstra

The thylacine! When I found out about it and it's tragic story when I was about 12 years old, I almost cried my eyes out (because I was a weird HSP-kid with too many emotions).

Sometimes I still feel like doing the same for the dodo and the aurochs.

If you are interested in endangered species, I most warmly recommend Douglas Adams' "Last chance to see". It's an account of how the author travels the world to see remnant populations of species on the brink of extinction. It got me interested in the kakapo, a critically endangered bird of New Zealand with a current population of 142.

See it here:

Spoiler

Crazycrazycultist
1 hour ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

The thylacine! When I found out about it and it's tragic story when I was about 12 years old, I almost cried my eyes out (because I was a weird HSP-kid with too many emotions).

Sometimes I still feel like doing the same for the dodo and the aurochs.

If you are interested in endangered species, I most warmly recommend Douglas Adams' "Last chance to see". It's an account of how the author travels the world to see remnant populations of species on the brink of extinction. It got me interested in the kakapo, a critically endangered bird of New Zealand with a current population of 142.

See it here:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, Douglas Adams is pretty cool!

I don't have a favorite, but enjoy being creeped out by the idea of Helicoprions and those teeth

1280px-Helicoprion_bessonovi1DB.jpg

By Creator: Dmitry Bogdanov - dmitrchel@mail.ru, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4619846

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicoprion

Also, this isn't really the same as an animal being extinct, but I miss big gar (fish).  This is undoubtedly the case for a lot of animals, but large gar were easier to find 100 years ago.  I once found an old, old photo of a fisherman with a gar sitting in his lap that had to have been longer than he was tall.  I understand it's very unusual to find gar that long nowadays.

Crazycrazycultist
5 minutes ago, bare_trees said:

I don't have a favorite, but enjoy being creeped out by the idea of Helicoprions and those teeth

1280px-Helicoprion_bessonovi1DB.jpg

By Creator: Dmitry Bogdanov - dmitrchel@mail.ru, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4619846

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicoprion

Also, this isn't really the same as an animal being extinct, but I miss big gar (fish).  This is undoubtedly the case for a lot of animals, but large gar were easier to find 100 years ago.  I once found an old, old photo of a fisherman with a gar sitting in his lap that had to have been longer than he was tall.  I understand it's very unusual to find gar that long nowadays.

I love their teeth. Even though they are weird!

You probably know Meganeura, the giant dragonfly. 

Arthropleura is the millipede equivalent, and Megarachne was akin to a giant spider. 

I love Carboniferous. 

Crazycrazycultist
1 hour ago, PoeciMeta said:

Arthropleura is the millipede equivalent, and Megarachne was akin to a giant spider. 

I love Carboniferous. 

I know alot of people who'd be afraid of all of those!

6 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

I know alot of people who'd be afraid of all of those!

That's precisely why I love them so much ^^

Arthropods unite!! 

CelesteAdAstra
3 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

Arthropods unite!! 

Another arthropod lover here! Horseshoe crabs are the best in my opinion. And if we're talking about extinct animals: the trilobite!

1 hour ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

Another arthropod lover here! Horseshoe crabs are the best in my opinion. And if we're talking about extinct animals: the trilobite!

Trilobites are really cool indeed~

I'm not especially a crustacean person myself (except for the amazing pistol shrimp °^°), my personal favourites are tarantulas, they're just so cute. My profile pic is of a Gooty sapphire tarantula (P. metallica), my absolute sweetheart which is really close to extinction, so it half counts 😨

Crazycrazycultist
4 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

Arthropods unite!! 

They're so cool looking!

CelesteAdAstra
1 hour ago, PoeciMeta said:

Trilobites are really cool indeed~

I'm not especially a crustacean person myself (except for the amazing pistol shrimp °^°), my personal favourites are tarantulas, they're just so cute. My profile pic is of a Gooty sapphire tarantula (P. metallica), my absolute sweetheart which is really close to extinction, so it half counts 😨

Oh no, that's terrible! Are there any breeding programmes to save it?

2 minutes ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

Oh no, that's terrible! Are there any breeding programmes to save it?

Not that I know of. 

It's on the IUCN Red List and lives in India. 

10 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

I love Carboniferous. 

I knew about the dragonfly but not the others.  They sound AMAZING!  Wish I could go back in time to see them! (but not incur their wrath, lol)

Mandelbrotina

Mine is the DoDo bird! There’s a fascinating documentary that featured it, but can’t remember the name. I was surprised to learn that it was not an inept bird at all, hence the name. It was quite clever despite being flightless. Weird-lookin’ thing, too. 

https://artsandculture.google.com/theme/lQKCJWtqLgvEIA

Crazycrazycultist
1 hour ago, Mandelbrotina said:

Mine is the DoDo bird! There’s a fascinating documentary that featured it, but can’t remember the name. I was surprised to learn that it was not an inept bird at all, hence the name. It was quite clever despite being flightless. Weird-lookin’ thing, too. 

https://artsandculture.google.com/theme/lQKCJWtqLgvEIA

I love Dodo Bird's!

I don’t know if this was mentioned already. But my favorite extinct animal, besides mammoths and Sabre-tooth’s has to be the Archaeopteryx. Just because I really like birds...

Grey-Ace Ventura

Honestly dinosaurs

Crazycrazycultist
47 minutes ago, 3Xi3X said:

I don’t know if this was mentioned already. But my favorite extinct animal, besides mammoths and Sabre-tooth’s has to be the Archaeopteryx. Just because I really like birds...

I love Birds, too!

Crazycrazycultist
45 minutes ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

Honestly dinosaurs

Me too!

Twisted Tempest

Mosasaurs, Dunkelosteos, Megalodon, Anomalocaris and Basilosaurus are some of my favourite extinct sea animals. 

As for land, Arthraplura, Prehistoric variants of Mesothelae and Meganeura are some awesome bugs.

Terror Birds and Gastornis are incredible birds. 

Mammals have their share too- things like Andrewsarchus, Entelodont and Indricotherium, Mammoths and Wolly Rhinos. 

My favourite extinct reptile (excluding any and all dinosaurs) is Liopleurodon, with Sarcosuchus as a close second. 

And its probably best not to get me started on dinosaurs. :P

Crazycrazycultist
7 minutes ago, Twisted Tempest said:

Mosasaurs, Dunkelosteos, Megalodon, Anomalocaris and Basilosaurus are some of my favourite extinct sea animals. 

As for land, Arthraplura, Prehistoric variants of Mesothelae and Meganeura are some awesome bugs.

Terror Birds and Gastornis are incredible birds. 

Mammals have their share too- things like Andrewsarchus, Entelodont and Indricotherium, Mammoths and Wolly Rhinos. 

My favourite extinct reptile (excluding any and all dinosaurs) is Liopleurodon, with Sarcosuchus as a close second. 

And its probably best not to get me started on dinosaurs. :P

I love the Megalodon!

Comrade F&F

When I was a kid, I loved triceratops. Still my favorite dino.

Spoiler

Image result for triceratops

T-rex ain't got nothing on this bad boy.

simplybeourselves

Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis.

Archived