Demisexuals, ever had a crush on a character?

darkpoetess

darkpoetess

This is a weird experience, and it's actually part of what made me understand my sexuality years ago. I'd occasionally develop crushes on book or TV characters after a time of becoming familiar with that character and enjoying their qualities. Movie characters could never apply in my case because a movie is not nearly long enough to appreciate a character over time. I'm not referring to sexual fantasies at all, just emotional attraction. I realized I was different from my friends in high school when their crushes extended beyond characters to include the actors themselves. And the character to them didn't matter nearly so much as the actor as a matter of fact.

I never felt a thing for any actor no matter how good-looking I could say they were from an objective point of view. 

Characters were different, because it didn't matter who played them, as long as they played them well. And in a book was even better because I could "get to know" their qualities only, never the appearance of the character. Of course you have to remind yourself that this is just a character as much as they might represent an ideal partner rather well lol. 

Anyone else experience this? 

Ah yes! I remember saying how much I enjoy a certain character and then person im speaking to will say "omg i know [insert actor/actress] is so hot" and im like... no.... 

and books too! i can definitely relate to forming an emotional attachment to a book character hahaha

Fluffy Femme Guy

Yeah, more than a few.

I'm full ace (and homoromantic) but I get character crushes regardless of gender. And it's always the character (ie. Khal Drogo, not IRL Jason Momoa) the only exception being opera singers. I do love their characters too, but baritones, especially Verdi baritones, who also look good? Very nice. 

darkpoetess

Glad to see all of you can relate. Redd99, yes, it's almost impossible to talk about your love of a character without someone saying "I loved him" in this or that. Like no no no, stay on topic. 😂

DuranDuranfan

At least three times for me. When I was younger I liked Egon Spengler(Ghostbusters) and Pathfinder(GI Joe). Not sure if I felt sexually attracted to them, or just an emotional attraction as I hadn’t hit puberty then, or maybe I didn’t have the vocabulary or intellect to understand whether it was a sexual attraction or something else that attracted me to them. All I remember is, “oh he’s so cute!”. 

But with Billy Cranston(MMPR), it was definitely a sexual attraction. Like, off the scale. Then came Chakotay on Star Trek Voyager but I don’t think the level of sexual attraction was the same with him as it was with Billy.

darkpoetess

@DuranDuranfan right now for me it's Poldark, and I haven't had one of these crushes in a long time. I didn't even see it coming because initially he was one of many TV show characters I think are very good. As I "got to know" his character, this guy who looks after everyone as a leader in his community I developed a serious crush. He has his flaws which makes him more realistic than some. Just his manner, personality, everything. The emotional attraction led to the sexual attraction and it's like, yeah off the chain. I've never seen the actor in anything else or even an interview, and I kind of want to avoid that at least until the show is finished so it doesn't ruin it for me. Lol

DuranDuranfan

It’s a little different with me. When I liked Billy, I also wanted to meet the actor who played his character(David Yost), even though David was quite different from Billy. It more had to do with, he brought the character to life and provided a face to the name, so I was still able to separate the two. 

Btw, I did meet David Yost two years ago at Fan Expo and he is super nice. 

bare_trees

This happens with me all the time.  After watching a TV show for a long time and getting hooked, I might develop a crush on a character, but it's always the character, not the actor.  I need the actor to be embodying that character to have the crush; if I just watch them doing an interview on the red carpet or something, it's not the same.

YES SAME, I legit wonder if I'm demi now because I do not get sexually attracted really to people I haven't spent time with (eh fuck real people, I don't have much interest in them nor in an S/O rn). Also I love chasing after fictional characters, the sexual desire sparks because that person is well them and it's hOT. 

verymelancholic

More than a few, actually. I'm kinda embarassed to admit some of it are anime characters.

itsmeelysemarie
On 7/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, KrystalLost said:

YES SAME, I legit wonder if I'm demi now because I do not get sexually attracted really to people I haven't spent time with (eh fuck real people, I don't have much interest in them nor in an S/O rn). Also I love chasing after fictional characters, the sexual desire sparks because that person is well them and it's hOT. 

You might want to look into fictosexual. Or even proculsexual (pretty much the same as the former but it includes celebrities).

• 1 year later...

Yes, I have liked characters in shows but not the actors. Rn I like an anime character but not in a sexual way. I just want to have a romantic relationship with them.

I don't identify as demisexual anymore (but I did until fairly recently), but yes, absolutely.

Willow Rosenberg is the main reason I assumed I was allo for most of my life.

Demiromantic and not demisexual, but no, completely incapable of feeling anything of that sort for anything fictitious (or anyone playing a role as them), as neither of us know each other.

6 minutes ago, CBC said:

Hello there, necro'd thread.

Ahhh feck

That's the second one that's gotten me in two days

No. I don't know them, either the actor or the (even less accessible) fictional character. Even if I 'know the character' from reading or watching them for some time as the OP suggests, they only exist in the author's imagination (and in mine only to the extent I can suspend my disbelief).

Archived