Nineties internet nostalgia, anyone?

Lonely Lemon

Lonely Lemon
1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

I not only used GeoCities heavily, but I was very involved with a GC chat channel that had a pretty big social impact. Then they switched to Java and it fell to crap.

I used to create fan pages in Netscape and upload them that way, but then geocities changed the game with their point and click website builder lol.

I miss the community and camaraderie. Do you guys remember web rings and how awesome it was to get your site on one? Or even the awards fandoms used to give for the best fan pages? They'd give you a little banner or button to display on your site so everyone knew you were the tits. There was something kinda wholesome about certain aspects of the early days lol.

Twisted Tempest

Just dropped in to post this. :P

22 hours ago, Lonely Lemon said:

It was around that time that the old internet started to change into something that resembles today's internet. YouTube, MySpace and Facebook all popped up in the mid 00's.

The development of the internet is really fascinating. It's changed so much in the last 20 years.

Kids now will not remember a world before Facebook and Google.

Lonely Lemon
12 hours ago, Amcan said:

The development of the internet is really fascinating. It's changed so much in the last 20 years.

It's kind of sad.

18 hours ago, Twisted Tempest said:

Music to my ears!

17 hours ago, Amcan said:

I'm 37 and I don't remember it either. As said before, I didn't seriously start using the Internet until 2006 :) 

The main reason why I'm subscribed to this thread is because I would like to learn more about the topic.

EDIT: and here's a vdeo you may appreciate if you're searching for a fix of nostalgia:

Spoiler

Warning: The host has a very thick accent, so enable the captions :)

Aimeendfire

Ahh the internet sound. 

I used to get those free trials

from AOL that were at Walmart and just cancel them after the 3 months were up or month I can’t remember. So I never paid for my dial up internet :P 

I also spent most of my time in ICQ or AIM and then later in MSN chat rooms haha.

I used to download things on Kazza or Limewire. 

4 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I'm 37 and I don't remember it either. As said before, I didn't seriously start using the Internet until 2006 :) 

The main reason why I'm subscribed to this thread is because I would like to learn more about the topic.

EDIT: and here's a vdeo you may appreciate if you're searching for a fix of nostalgia:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah you missed the 'fun' of dialup.

I love a good nostalgic video. Ah the memories.

36 minutes ago, Amcan said:

Ah you missed the 'fun' of dialup.

I love a good nostalgic video. Ah the memories.

I think I've only seen dial-up at work once, when I was doing a kind of apprenticeship in 2001 or so and we had to download sth.

First time I used the Internet was in 2000:( so I missed all that 

I first used the internet in...1997/1998 I think. Can't pin down an exact year.

I think we got internet at home around 1999/2000?

We got broadband... I n't know.

I feel like I was still using dialup when I first joined AVEN in 2005.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, Lonely Lemon said:

Recording mix tapes off the radio were hours well spent!

Grrr and then a silly radio jingle would play or a damn announcer would blather over the final seconds of a song :mad:

On 6/27/2019 at 2:47 PM, Homer said:

Grrr and then a silly radio jingle would play or a damn announcer would blather over the final seconds of a song :mad:

I heard they did that on purpose for that reason, to ruin a decent recording.

54 minutes ago, Amcan said:

I heard they did that on purpose for that reason, to ruin a decent recording.

True, same as they'd never announce a song before it was played. 

Ah, Sunday afternoon when they announced the top 40, radio-cassette primed ready to tape the songs you wanted 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, Twisted Tempest said:

I play that at work occasionally just to see people's reactions

On 6/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, Amcan said:

I first used the internet in...1997/1998 I think. Can't pin down an exact year.

I think we got internet at home around 1999/2000?

We got broadband... I n't know.

I feel like I was still using dialup when I first joined AVEN in 2005.

oh I definitely was on dialup at the time

19 hours ago, Goonie said:

I play that at work occasionally just to see people's reactions

oh I definitely was on dialup at the time

And yet we could post everywhere and not run up the bill...

Grumpy Alien

I was a kid so I didn’t chat online but I read a lot of fanfiction in the late 90s on a Warner bros run forum for Harry Potter 😂

edit: I think that came a couple years later, actually. I think I was on some seedy fanfiction sites for a kid... using my mom’s AOL account 😂

Hmm, I'll ask if anyone remember this phrase and where it come from.

"I pity the fool..."

It's 90s, right?

Is that 90s or 80s? I thought it was 80s.

Mr. T from the A-Team, of course. :P 

(aka B.A. Baracus)

1 minute ago, Zagadka said:

Is that 90s or 80s? I thought it was 80s.

You're right. '83-'87 according to the interwebs :)

Twisted Tempest

Don't know if it belongs here, but did anyone ever play Unreal Tournament 1999? To my knowledge it was the first video game that had online multiplayer capabilities (though I may be wrong.) I can just about remember it taking forever to join a game because of 90s/early 00s internet speed. 

It wasn't the first, but it was early. I was way more into Tribes, but I used to play UT a lot. Even later in college, when i was stressed, I'd just blow away bots listening to angry music and feel better. Plus, mutators were cool.

I remember arguing with people over which search engines were better and why, back when there was actual competition between them (Ask Jeeves, Altavista, Yahoo, Dogpile, early Google when it appeared...) Some of them seemed to have their own niche where certain data was easier to find on different ones for a while.

I didn't do much on the internet outside of game sites, email, AIM messenger, and school work that early on. (Long download times or file transfers that would claim it'd take years? XD) There was a unique magic about getting introduced to new sites by word-of-mouth though. Although search engines were already available, I was mostly introduced to new sites by my friends.

And the thought of leaving Internet Explorer was unthinkable after it having been the only browser I'd ever used (until it basically made itself nonfunctional). :lol:

I always forget about Geocities until someone mentions it. I had a lot more practice coding HMTL because of some of those sites than I do now.

Oh that reminds me; saving research information for projects on floppy disks... and the problem of forgetting to format certain floppys before trying to save to them.

Used email and FTP in the 1980s to communicate and send files between computers in the university I worked at, before the advent of the WWW (often referred to as the World Wide Wait in the days of slow connection speeds). The first Web browser I worked with was NCSA Mosaic in 1994. I wasn't impressed with it at first, as the static webpages of the time were little more than billboards, but the wealth of online information grew rapidly. I remember an interview on NPR in 1995 where one of the hosts estimated there were 30,000 active websites, and the number would triple by the end of the year.

The heady days of the 1990s Internet business boom are hard to believe now. So much investment capital was thundering into anything connected to the Internet that entire companies were able to rent, furnish, and staff office space before they had a single product ready to sell.

• 3 weeks later...
abandoned-account

yoooo this is my kind of thread! :D

So I’ll say there are some good things about the internet today, mainly the many helpful resources we get access to, and the existance of communities like AVEN where people can meet and connect with others like them (especially for those of us who never fit in with the norm). Oh, also not to mention no longer having to wait an eternity for web pages to load lol.

But ooooooh man do I agree with a lot of what was said in OP. I feel like the internet has lost so much sense of niche community and creativity when the cooperate BS took over and every website adopted the ugly-ass bare bones minimum “material design” layout and they all look just the same now. Social media has taken over and we now live in a time where you’re pretty much expected to be on your phone looking at Facebook or Twitter 24/7 or you’re “out of the loop”. All the tracking and privacy concerns (yes, I’m the paranoid type). Annoying meme culture. The list can go on...

While having a computer most of the time we didn't have internet until the early 2000's and it was pretty intermittent when we had it. I can't really remember too much about the internet itself though. If anything I'd be more into the retro gaming side of thigns

I was delving YouTube and I realized that merely seeing a 4:3 aspect ratio video makes me feel nostalgic, and that makes me feel old. It is just an automatic reaction of "I that!" that makes me feel more connected to the video. I'm of the appropriate age that I remember the videos from MTV, so seeing them again is a trip. It has really made more more nostalgic of the 90s.

Edit; And I'm really glad that YouTube has made music videos cool again. There was a long time between MTV abandoning videos and YouTube that is a gap in memory.

Archived