If you could reproduce asexually...

darkpoetess

darkpoetess

So a lot of misinformed people judge that asexuality is not a real orientation because asexual means you can reproduce asexually.  I'm not here to debate that because we know why that argument is bogus lol.

I have wondered though, hey if we could reproduce asexually, would any of us want to? I've met many asexuals here who feel repulsed by their own reproductive organs. I don't feel that way about myself, but I have always had an aversion to pregnancy and childbirth. To sexuals I've always said that I fear dying in childbirth (which is true) but it's much more than that, much more than I feel many in the mainstream would understand or take seriously. In high school, I was in an EMT training program and did clinicals in a hospital where I assisted with victims of car accidents, heart attack, and various emergencies, but the experience that almost caused me to faint was having to witness a birth and everyone thought it was hilarious. I've noticed that many in the asexual community have similar feelings about pregnancy and the whole reproductive process. 

But are there those of you out there who would not mind reproducing asexually if that were possible? This excludes in vitro, adoption, surrogates or any other manner of having a child that doesn't involve you yourself having sexual relations to reproduce. Also this has to do with your orientation in regards to having children. I am aware that actions do not define orientation. I'm sure there are asexuals out there who have had children with partners. 

This is merely a musing about whether you'd desire to reproduce asexually were it possible. If you would, what would you imagine your life to be like? Would it feel strange basically having a clone of yourself or would it feel pretty easy to view your child as an individual? Lots of possibilities here. It's a curious thought.

Anthracite_Impreza

Absolutely not, I don't want human babies at all. The idea freaks me out no matter how they come into existence. Urgh.

I’d like to so I could role-play being a human bacterium hell-bent on complete. Global. Saturation. Then asexuality would truly be the terrible problem that some people think it is. 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Jokes aside, my job has turned me off if ever wanting kids ever so yeah. 😅

darkpoetess
2 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

I don't want any normie children. People assume they'll have children who are like them, but that's really not how it works.

Are you referring to what I said about clones? I was referring to asexual reproduction in which offspring are genetically identical to the parent, not the social notion that all children are or should be like their parents. 

darkpoetess
2 minutes ago, CBC said:

Do people actually ask if you guys reproduce asexually?

No, I've never had anyone ask if we reproduce asexually. They merely use the argument of asexual reproduction to invalidate asexual community orientations. In other words, unless you can reproduce asexually then your orientation is bs. 

darkpoetess
3 minutes ago, CBC said:

Ohhhh. Well that's almost stupider. 😂 What is wrong with humans?!

People are nuts, what can I say? Too much time watching reality TV, not enough time reading books. 😅

Hell no. 

Creating offspring with 50% of my own DNA and some woman adding the other 50% is already very, very bad... but a 100% genetic clone of myself is even worse.

I want kids in the future, but I do not want to get pregnant. The process, the risks, the way it happens, all of it is completely unappealing to me. I´m either going to adopt or get a surrogate when I am ready to form a family.

If it was mitosis, I'd be doing it all the time. If it's a normal pregnancy, not a chance.

letusdeleteouraccounts
2 hours ago, CBC said:

There’s LGBT people that think we’re stupid and invalid because they think we’re claiming we split like amoebas 😂 then there’s the people, when you come out, who think you’re talking about the science term. If you say you’re asexual, you literally have to include the “no sexual attraction” part

2 hours ago, CBC said:

I think that the ones that have asked me that were asking as a joke, not as a serious question.

Just now, darkpoetess said:

This is merely a musing about whether you'd desire to reproduce asexually were it possible.

giphy.gif

I couldn’t bare to have more than one of me running amok. 

Because the world as we know it could end. 

Nope, one me is enough 

Captain_Tass

Let's see... A second person with whom I would share 100% of my DNA and for whose existence I would be entirely responsible, and who would be completely dependent on me for quite a while...

1) I'm not knowingly and consciously condemning another being to an existence identical to mine, in this planet, this country (Greece) and this time period no less.

2) I can't even be trusted with houseplants, much less a tiny human being.

So no, I wouldn't.

On a side note: Can you imagine what history would be like if humans were able to reproduce asexually?

Anthracite_Impreza
7 hours ago, CBC said:

Do people actually ask if you guys reproduce asexually

Yes, I have genuinely been asked that. I've also had it used as a reason "people can't be asexual, that means you bud off clones". Granted, the former was in a college class of teenage boys, but still.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, CBC said:

Ahhh yes, the pinnacle of intellect. 😂

I get on better with teenage lads than anyone, make of that what you will ;)

If I were an actual elephant, I'd be up for the idea of reproducing no matter which way. As I'm human... nopety nope nope.

andreas1033

None, i do not want to ever reproduce, or to have a baby.

There is 7 billion having babies, let them populate the world. As i never want to.

I have never had any interest in reproducing, and never will.

So my answer in this thread, is no one.

What I mean’t by “causing the end of the world” is that if there was more of me then honestly we’d just steal food and supplies from everywhere. 

darkpoetess
14 hours ago, KeKatCookie said:

Yeah, I probably would. 

As a sex-repulsed ace I've just decided to adopt kids (in the future) because though I would like children, I don't want the sex. At all. 

So to have my own biological mini-mes would be great actually XD 

That's really interesting! I've entertained the thought of raising a mini-me, and though strange, I think I could possibly be a more successful parent with a child that I completely understood. Not that there wouldn't be cons to that as well, but as I thought about it I wondered if others had too. Considering my aversion to pregnancy and childbirth I don't think I could actually go through with it, but yes, I could also see how it would be an interesting experience. Thank you for your response! I feel like you got the gist of what I was asking. 

So a lot of misinformed people judge that asexuality is not a real orientation because asexual means you can reproduce asexually.

It somehow never occurs to any of these people that words can have more than one meaning.

Anyway, I have no particular issue with reproduction in the traditional manner, or with reproductive organs.  I think in the latter case, being uncomfortable with the latter (your own, specifically) is less of an indicator of asexuality and more of an indicator of being trans to some degree.

darkpoetess
2 hours ago, Philip027 said:

It somehow never occurs to any of these people that words can have more than one meaning.

Anyway, I have no particular issue with reproduction in the traditional manner, or with reproductive organs.  I think in the latter case, being uncomfortable with the latter (your own, specifically) is less of an indicator of asexuality and more of an indicator of being trans to some degree.

I've encountered a number of people in the ace community who say they would have their reproductive organs removed if it were possible. Since I don't feel that way about myself I don't really know the cause other than what I've observed which is they want no association with sex to a point of not even having the organs. I don't believe that's an indicator of being transgender but rather being asexual physically. They want their bodies to match their orientation. 

Yeah but I mean like, most people that have no interest in reproducing (and also have no interest in sex) will just... not use their reproductive organs in that way.

There's a difference between just not using something that's there, and actively wanting it gone.  A lot of people don't like to listen, but it doesn't mean they want their ears cut off.

Since I don't feel that way about myself I don't really know the cause other than what I've observed which is they want no association with sex to a point of not even having the organs.

Sounds like a typical sort of nonbinary experience, to me anyway.  NBs care to weigh in?

As you said though, you don't feel this way (neither do I).  Disliking one's genitals to the point they'd rather have completely different (or nonexistent) ones is simply something more commonly associated with being trans, rather than asexuality.

Archived