How well do we know celebrities

Birlow17

You ever hear celebrities say “People don’t know me” when they receive hate? I’ve thought about that statement and I’m thinking if we don’t know them to hate them then how do we know them to love them? It seems a bit contradicting. If who we see isn’t the real them then what is? Why would I like someone who’s not showing me the real them. To be honest I think that you see a person’s personality by how they respond to their environment. If we see how they answer people, how they talk, behave and move doesn’t that mean we have enough information to critique whether we like them or not? 

thoughts on this?

Very interesting question! At best, we know them as well as we know a co-worker with whom we don't interact outside of work. I wouldn't judge celebrities more than I judge my co-workers. And since I know barely enough to know that I don't really know what makes any of them tick, I don't judge much. It's only natural to judge, but it can be kept in check with self-awareness.

I don't think I know (understand) people that I actually do know, so I don't pretend to know people I just admire from a distance. And I hope I never do. The "never meet your hero" line is largely true, even if we do get more interaction with them on social media (at least the smaller ones not running their Twitter off a PR office). It is a little disturbing to admire someone for years and see them be barely literate and ranting. I guess it is best to remember that being a great writer or musical genius or whatnot does not mean someone is great in other areas, so don't expect too much. Or you find out that they like Pepsi instead of Coke and can never respect them again then burn everything you own.

2 minutes ago, SCP-2719 said:

Very interesting question! At best, we know them as well as we know a co-worker with whom we don't interact outside of work. I wouldn't judge celebrities more than I judge my co-workers. And since I know barely enough to know that I don't really know what makes any of them tick, I don't judge much. It's only natural to judge, but it can be kept in check with self-awareness.

That’s true! I think of it on that level as well. I view them like normal people which means they could be deceitful just like anyone else that is trying to sell a false image or lack the self awareness to hide who they are? its complicated I guess

2 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I don't think I know (understand) people that I actually do know, so I don't pretend to know people I just admire from a distance. And I hope I never do. The "never meet your hero" line is largely true, even if we do get more interaction with them on social media (at least the smaller ones not running their Twitter off a PR office). It is a little disturbing to admire someone for years and see them be barely literate and ranting. I guess it is best to remember that being a great writer or musical genius or whatnot does not mean someone is great in other areas, so don't expect too much. Or you find out that they like Pepsi instead of Coke and can never respect them again then burn everything you own.

I would like to admire them but then I take a step back as I realize they could be deceiving me. I can’t imagine anyone showing their true colours openly knowing they’re being watched. I wouldn’t want to meet someone I idolized in my head and they turn out to be something different either lol. It’s getting to the point where I don’t know if I can even take part in this fan culture of celebrities

It is hard to see them as normal people sometimes. They absolutely are, of course, but some of the larger, popular ones have lifestyles so outrageously outside of ordinary existence that it can be hard to relate normal life to that. And that doesn't just mean bodyguards and chihuahuas with diamond collars... musicians traveling constantly, authors scraping by, actors taking parts to pay bills... what you see isn't what you get most of the time. And just being a small musician doesn't mean you aren't an asshole.

So I have people I like I follow on Twitter because they are interesting, but I wouldn't expect to have more of a relationship than that. Even if you could talk to them, they talk to tons of people every day and won't remember you at all, however big a fan you are and however small a celebrity. Even a YouTube artist will tune out completely because they have other things to do. They appreciate that you like them, but their time is valuable to them, so just buy the album and concert tickets.

4 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

It is hard to see them as normal people sometimes. They absolutely are, of course, but some of the larger, popular ones have lifestyles so outrageously outside of ordinary existence that it can be hard to relate normal life to that. And that doesn't just mean bodyguards and chihuahuas with diamond collars... musicians traveling constantly, authors scraping by, actors taking parts to pay bills... what you see isn't what you get most of the time. And just being a small musician doesn't mean you aren't an asshole.

So I have people I like I follow on Twitter because they are interesting, but I wouldn't expect to have more of a relationship than that. Even if you could talk to them, they talk to tons of people every day and won't remember you at all, however big a fan you are and however small a celebrity. Even a YouTube artist will tune out completely because they have other things to do. They appreciate that you like them, but their time is valuable to them, so just buy the album and concert tickets.

I completley agree. The more crazy the lifestyle the less I can relate with them. When I think of it at large I come to the conclusion that the whole celebrity thing is really narcissistic. A celebrity doesn’t know their fans and if we’re being honest the reason they try and hide so much is most likely to evade the fans that support them. So basically they love people who love them? And for their big supporters that wait hours at airports for them just to meet them I think is insane. People stop their lives in order to meet someone who doesn’t care about them. So sometimes I end up resenting celebrities because it seems narcissistic more than anything

They should just be let to have their own lives, really. It is a full time job - 24/7.

Can we ever really know anyone?

Is there a difference between a celebrity whose life we know about form magazines and TV and someone who lives down our street whom we only know from seeing walking their dog?

As humans in general do we not put on different masks to play different parts? I have a work persona that has some qualities and aspects of my personality that are stronger than my home persona. When I'm with certain friends, there are parts of my personality that comes out that lurk in all other moments. Is there any side of ourselves we let anyone see? Is there that person deep down that only we ourselves may be lucky to know?

21 hours ago, Goonie said:

As humans in general do we not put on different masks to play different parts? I have a work persona that has some qualities and aspects of my personality that are stronger than my home persona. When I'm with certain friends, there are parts of my personality that comes out that lurk in all other moments. Is there any side of ourselves we let anyone see? Is there that person deep down that only we ourselves may be lucky to know?

Are but players on the stage?

22 hours ago, Goonie said:

This. You’re absolutely right. We all play different roles. I like how you explained that

On 6/24/2019 at 9:44 PM, Amcan said:

Are but players on the stage?

well my cover is blown now

On 6/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, Birlow17 said:

This. You’re absolutely right. We all play different roles. I like how you explained that

I've had several long moments of introspection through the years. I'm glad the explanation worked.

I don't buy into the whole cult of celebrity. The only "regular" dealings I've had with someone in the public life have been with a friend who was just a regular mate 

17 hours ago, Goonie said:

well my cover is blown now

I've had several long moments of introspection through the years. I'm glad the explanation worked.

You can find a new cover. Like pop stars.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:19 AM, Birlow17 said:

A celebrity doesn’t know their fans and if we’re being honest the reason they try and hide so much is most likely to evade the fans that support them. So basically they love people who love them? And for their big supporters that wait hours at airports for them just to meet them I think is insane. People stop their lives in order to meet someone who doesn’t care about them. So sometimes I end up resenting celebrities because it seems narcissistic more than anything

I think that a lot of this comes down to very natural limits. A day has 24 hours. Let's say you'd like to chat with your fans. Even if you cut those chats down to three minutes per person, you could only ever talk to 480 people a day and that's without any time to sleep or eat or take dumps. It's not possible to genuinely care about every individual in such a large group. Heck, people reach their limits when they post something on Reddit (or whatevs) and it blows up... sorry, can't respond to everyone but I appreciate yada yada.

Archived