Hobbies?

Ess-Kat

Hey there everyone. In all good spirits I recently found that I am a little boring---its the truth 😣. So I am looking for a hobby? Any ideas? Keep in mind I have no music or athletic talent. Also I am curious as to what kind of hobbies you do. 😊 

Thanks

Watching youtube videos mostly, with a little bit of reading and making art work/ stories.

I read and write, mostly in the form of roleplay, although one day I want to try my hand at a novel.

I have the athletic talent of a potato.  But I like to find exercise videos on youtube and attempt them.  Running is fun too if you keep up with it.

But things that don't involve as much movement ummm...I like gardening.  Making your own food is fun.  So that leads to cooking too.

Also volunteering.  I want to do it more (besides on here).  It's fun and it makes you feel like you did something good, especially when you aren't in the best place.

I like anything involving thread.  Spinning yarn, cross stich, knitting...I just like thread stuff.  And yes you CAN spin yarn at your home even if you live in a super cramped apartment like I do, you do NOT need a spinning wheel.  It's really cool and a good way to keep your hands busy while watching tv or something.

purpleflavoredpi

Puzzles!

Nonograms and sudoku. Simple rules, fun strategies!

SA1L0RCL0UT

Reading YA novels. I recently paid for a library membership (I live in a different county than I work, and I only have time to go to the library during my lunch break). So I've kind of made it a point to make the money I paid worth it. Will probably read every book in the YA section just to have something to do. It's fun to get lost in the worlds of others. And sometimes the characters themselves have hobbies that you might want to try but never would have thought of before.

Oh, and organizing things. I spend hours on Pinterest classifying the images that show up in my feed, sorting them into my pin boards. I have been meaning to re-organize all the one's I've saved, but I'm in a big transition period in my life. The last thing I need to uproot is my Pinterest right now ;_;.

I personally love making cosplays-easy way to get your creativity out, and it's very fun! I find it easier to be social if I'm wearing a face other than my own, so it's nice to be able to go to conventions and act like an extrovert for a while.

There are a lot of hobbies that I've enjoyed in the past that I've fallen out of. 😅 These days, I mostly browse through tumblr, listen to music, watch YouTube, watch dramas, and sometimes play video games. Hobbies I've fallen out would include loom knitting, cross stitching, bicycling, learning languages, reading, writing, poetry, photography. I'd like to start reading more. I also like doing jigsaw puzzles and 3D puzzles and sudoku. 😊

Despite having named so many supposed hobbies, I feel you on feeling like a bit of a boring person. Because if people ask me what I do in my free time, I usually can only say, "Uh, YouTube? Tumblr? Music?" 😂

I used to love photography, back when you developed film and photos with chemicals and projectors. I tried doing it all digitally and on Photoshop, but it isn't the same.

I also used to do computer programming for fun. Now it is more of a work thing. I mostly spend a lot of my spare time on the internet, watching shows/youtube, or reading. I don't even play computer games much anymore. But the Internet always has something to look at to completely waste time. I suppose those "hobbies" aren't productive in any way, but they do succeed in passing time between more meaningful activities.

Celestial_Strawberry

I personally just wander on my social medias and do music stuff in my free time, but if you're looking for something new, maybe cooking/baking, gardening, video games, or trying a random book from the nearest library. Have fun and have a nice day!

in recent years, knitting and crochet.

in the past two decades - photography, drawing, writing, video games

Alawyn-Aebt

Some people would probably find my hobbies bizarre, certainly compared to knitting and the like.

Reading, Board Games (usually strategic or German-style), Collecting Foreign Stamps (cheaply), Collecting Foreign Coins (cheaply), Railway Modelling (cheaply), Music. I also play an instrument and participate to varying degrees in a few athletic hobbies.

Another hobby of mine is extremely odd, but not unheard of:

Finalizing the made-up nation I started when I was 6; includes a language, political system, economic system, demographic information, map, history, and more.

I USED to have a lot, but then I bought myself the Sims for my own birthday 😅.

Oh well, my 200 year old vampire/alien matriarch of 10 children and her ghost wife seem pretty happy haha.

When the weather is nice, I like to go cycling and take pictures of the scenery. When the weather is not nice, I stay indoors and paint canvases with the pictures I took. I like to lift weights although health problems prevent me from doing much lately. I tat (this is a knotted lace), make bobbin lace (a woven lace), and knit a little. I still do some sewing (I just finished a crazy quilt for my bed) and plan to make a couple of summer dresses if I find a decent pattern to use. People also think I'm boring because I'm a home body, and none of my hobbies are really mainstream for people my age (and I don't really care about drinking alcohol and much prefer fine teas). Try new things that strike your fancy and don't worry about what others think.

Twisted Tempest

I like to build models. Great way to relax, though I can't paint them to save my life. 

As long as hobby makes you happy then it doesn't matter how objectively good you are at it.

I play the clarinet but I wouldn't say I am good. My brain really struggled with mathematical concepts. Which includes music.

I've mostly tried reading, writing. And not just fiction writing but writing about other things in an opinion way.

Most of my spare time is spent travelling somewhere.

Member131995

I love to read and write. A few of my other favorites are traveling, driving somewhere, jigsaw puzzles and listening to music.

Reading, writing, listening to music, running, dancing and doing some fitness. 

Grumpy Alien

I like napping

griffinej5

Taekwondo. A lot of dog stuff. My dog is training in several sports, and there are others I want to try. We’ll see what comes of it, but we’ve competed in barn hunt, and are training in flyball and agility. If I can teach him to swim, I think he’d like dock diving. 

I used to play rugby and rec soccer. I still coach the former (obsessively so, one could say). I'd love to get back into playing, but flag rugby if there was a league.

Individually, I bike a lot, hike occasionally and canoe not enough.

Artistically, I blog a bit and do various basic graphic design / video edits for it, would love to be less lazy and write a novel and learn how to draw on my ipad.

I'd love to do more board gaming, but have moved from my beloved network of west coast nerds and need to find a new crew.  :(

I like reading; listening to audiobooks; watching films (including foreign films--libraries are great!); trying to learn other languages; cycling; swimming (my newest hobby); and walking/jogging (although, not so much, right now, during the summer, because the weather's too hot).

:) I noticed from your profile that you're in California. Are you sure that you wouldn't enjoy swimming at a local pool (or cycling)? You don't have to be an athlete to do those hobbies; some people just do them casually, in a relaxed way.

I don't really know how to swim, properly, the way professional athletes know how to, because I didn't really have lessons at a young age (I was taught a few things, but not given advice on how to improve; I didn't really visit pools much at all, growing up), but I still like trying to practice, anyway. Swimming in cooler water feels good on a hot day; I recommend it.

Bruce Wayne

Blogging, reading, watching movies & wildlife documentaries... 

On 7/1/2019 at 1:03 AM, disGraceful said:

I like napping

I'm a world expert in eating, sleeping and farting! ;) :P 

You don't have to be talented to enjoy doing something, and talent only amounts for a very small percentage of the end result of learning a new skill.  Yes, to be an Olympic athlete you need both a measure of innate aptitude/talent and years and years of effort.  That's not the case for a hobby, you just have to enjoy it enough to put in the effort.  I have no particular musical talent  either (I couldn't even carry a tune before the three years of band I took decades ago in middle school), but that's not stopping me from learning piano now, and just in a couple of months, I can see my improvement.  Yes, I've got a long way to go, and yes, I've got no doubt other people could progress faster, but I enjoy it and I'm not in competition with anyone else.

So here's my question for you: what's something that you've always thought would be neat to try, or that you've wished you could do?  Pick whatever that may be, and take lessons in it or otherwise make a commitment to try your hand at it for a year.  You don't have to become a master at it, but take those first steps toward learning.  Music, art, writing, crafting, dance, martial arts...whatever it is, even if you don't stick with it after the year, you'll have put enough time into it to learn quite a bit and will hopefully have enjoyed yourself along the way, and that may in turn lead to other ideas for things that you think sound fun.

For me, for instance, I'm thinking that next year, I might also take up voice lessons to go with piano.  I'm a terrible singer right now, and wouldn't necessarily be looking to become a great one, but it would be fun to be able to sing along as I played and have it at least sound pleasant.

• 1 month later...
thequietplace

I have far too many hobbies...

yoga, playing guitar, going to gigs, making artwork, taking photos and making films, reading, watching films, walking, wildlife watching and wildlife photography, kayaking, surfing, astronomy, astrophotography, swimming, volunteering, teaching, going to lectures and conferences and erm ice skating and collecting band patches or scrap booking are trying to make an appearance at the moment thanks to a new friend. tbh I don't do all of them, all the time, they come and go depending on what else is going on, but all enjoyable.

What are you main interests? I'm sure you are not boring, you are just you :) and that's cool.

Archived