Ace of clubs space - London, 29-30 June 2019 - tickets now available!

michaeld

Hi all,

The Ace of Clubs space - see previous thread - is now confirmed for the weekend of 29-30 June 2019 in Soho, London. Tickets are now available on eventbrite:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ace-of-clubs-tickets-63391670192

Quoting from the description:

You are invited to the first pop up Ace space in London!

It’s being held in Soho, London this Pride month, supported by Budweiser, a proud sponsor of Pride in London, with consultation from AVEN.

The dates are 29-30th June. The event is a chance to meet other Aces and allies before the Pride in London parade the week after.

Come down between 2-10pm on Saturday and 12-8pm on Sunday to play games, meet, greet, drink and dance. We’ve got board games, quiet spots, and a dance floor – there’s something for everyone.

Saturday will include a special panel hosted by AVEN & Yasmin Benoit at 4pm and on Sunday we’ll have a screening of a documentary relating to the ace community at 3pm.

Get your free tickets here.

This is a list only event so make sure you get tickets beforehand!

This event is taking place with the support of Budweiser, who are bringing social spaces and events to different LGBT+ communities during Pride Month.

They will also provide free alcoholic and non-alcoholic refreshments and snacks throughout the weekend.

This is an 18+ only event.

On the ace community side, this event has been driven by asexuality activist Yasmin Benoit (@yazybee) who has put in lots of hard work to make it happen. The event is being supported by Budweiser; however non-alcoholic drinks are available as the organisers are aware some aces don't drink.

While AVEN is not the organiser of this event, our name appears as "in consultation with AVEN" as we have given our input on how to make an ace friendly space. The organisers have seemed receptive to our feedback, and we are hopeful this event will be a fun and positive experience for anyone who chooses to go, as well as being good for ace visibility.

Any donation AVEN is eligible for - e.g. because of our input on how to make the event more ace friendly - will be subject to a consultation with the AVEN and broader ace community on whether we accept this money to invest it in community projects, or whether we ask for a donation to be made to another charity on our behalf - and indeed on how we should handle similar events in future. If you wish to discuss this aspect of it now, please use the other thread - or take part in the consultation we will clearly advertise in a few weeks. This thread is for people interested in going to the event or who want to find out more.

If you're interested please do book yourself a ticket, and let us know how the event goes if we don't see you there!

Argh, I have friends visiting this weekend but will see if I can fit it in.

Ooh, same here, I would have liked to join...

I want to go but i'm not even in that country. Oh well maybe one day 😊

*sigh

Sold out, forgot it’s ticketed, got ready to leave and everything :’)

Got back. I don't drink - and party and dance isn't my usual scene - but I had a great time today!

Please post your comments and feedback if you made it! Sorry to everyone who didn't get a ticket in time. :( In fairness it was pretty full.

WKr0w4H1U_Fi2SMlgfmCp_XajaHAa0PFGdBTJNxq

E8mjFJo2D4XFWi22scVRwc1lWORf12nxwSJW9t19

(picture of @yazybee and @TheSMMG, two heavyweights of UK ace activism :cake:)

@michaeld oww i thought IT would be in a tent so that is really cool. 

Yep, it's a building in Soho. :) The event is still going on today - 12-8pm. I might try and swing by again this evening.

Tasha the demi squirrel

Had a great time yesterday it would be amazing if this becomes a permanent Ace bar and even more amazing if we can open more Ace bars round the country 

I went yesterday and had a really good time. It was friendly and I had a whole bunch of really good chats. 

I really enjoyed being there - it felt safe, to drink and dance with people knowing no one was going to take things to far, or accuse you of being a tease...sometimes dancing is just dancing you know! 

Also, the pizza was excellent and the drinks were crazy strong! 

That looks so cool. :)

*wish I were there*

You get to meet fellow AVENites.

It doesn't really sound like my kind of thing but I am glad that you all had fun.

Blaiddmelyn
4 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

It doesn't really sound like my kind of thing but I am glad that you all had fun.

It was more like a cafe than a pub/bar (today at least) - it was basically some space for people to chat, play board games etc. Equal amounts of non-alcoholic drinks and I'd say even numbers on who was drinking alcohol. Everyone was civilised and friendly.

@Blaiddmelyn i am happy that everyone enjoyed themselves but it still doesn't sound like a place that I would enjoy myself in, but I can be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Blaiddmelyn said:

It was more like a cafe than a pub/bar (today at least) - it was basically some space for people to chat, play board games etc. Equal amounts of non-alcoholic drinks and I'd say even numbers on who was drinking alcohol. Everyone was civilised and friendly.

It was much more full yesterday and got very busy, but it was all still very civilised.

20 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

@Blaiddmelyn i am happy that everyone enjoyed themselves but it still doesn't sound like a place that I would enjoy myself in, but I can be wrong. 

I understand. It's not totally my sort of thing either, but I find it fun just occasionally.

The hard core group, who stayed right till the end!

71YNFskra4WHkNcnFRi5sGb1H7zBuOJEsJGZ_QEV

Some pics of the venue after most people had gone:

AnNXxx9dF8mGtNa3UUpgm1-ayuWXsu17oIMg9eqW

NvmViP3j8DbXvGh5fkp7f-wxxDP5ETTNVIZ2Xe0V

GRexCarolinii

feedback as requested:

Was a really nice event! 
Appreciated the variety of drinks (even if the cocktails were strong!) But nice to have the beers for those who drunk those, cocktails for people (like me) who can't have beer but fancied a drink, and then mocktails for people not wanting to drink at all!

I didn't get involved in the playlist, but it did sound fun, and think I heard someone mention that you could also make requests on the day, which was a nice touch!

Appreciated the panel, and the mix of people there - always good to hear from people's experiences. Also another nice touch was throwing things back out to the floor too for discussion.

Small improvements potentially...
Maybe a bigger venue for more people and space? (though understand that... for a first event like this, you all had no idea how much interest there would be!)
Similarly a venue with air con in the heat would have been nice (though again... this is the weather's fault rather than organisers, and the many many fans helped a ton!)
Finally, as I think not everyone could make both days, might have been nice to have a ticket per day or similar?

Overall, had a really fantastic time
So many many thanks to the organisers  for doing this :) 

Looks like it went really well! The space looks amazing too. Well done to all involved.

Thank you so much to the organisers! It was a really great space and so nice to meet so many asexual people.

The bar, the decorations, the location, the beanbags were all awesome!

It was such fun to party with a big group of aces!

Fingers crossed someone wants to sponsor it again next year!

AllTimeBubble
3 hours ago, Blaiddmelyn said:

Oooh I wish I could've gone!

Looks like it was fun!! So glad it went well! :D Is it ok if I share these pics on our social media to report the positive outcome? 

OK by me but maybe not the "hardcore" group photo, only because I didn't ask them if it could go on social media; I only asked them if they were ok with it being posted on AVEN. However you can post of the one of Yasmin and Mark because I know them both and I'm pretty sure they will not mind! Ditto the ones without people in them of course.

I'm glad that everyone had a good time! Feel free to post photos. There are some on my Twitter and Instagram: @theyasminbenoit. Hopefully now that Budweiser and other sponsors can see that there's a demand for ace spaces, this kind of thing can happen again. :)

Well if it will happen again then i hope the drinks will cost money. That would make me more comfortable attending a event like this. 

I am neutral to that a alcohol company being a sponsor (i would prefer not) but giving it out free that is to much for me.

I am sorry talks about clubs and bars brings out the worst in me.

Blaiddmelyn
4 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

Well if it will happen again then i hope the drinks will cost money. That would make me more comfortable attending a event like this. 

I am neutral to that a alcohol company being a sponsor (i would prefer not) but giving it out free that is to much for me.

I am sorry talks about clubs and bars brings out the worst in me.

In fairness to them, Budweiser couldn't do that here without backlash. If you think about the amount of people on this thread who were upset that AVEN worked with them and was considering using a voluntary donation from them to reinvest in this, if Budweiser charged, it would be even worse. everyone would say "Oh, look, Budweiser is making a profit from aces, they don't really care." Even if they said they'd give the profits to AVEN, people would think they're taking a cut or complain that AVEN is accepting that too. For Budweiser to come out of this with the image they want, they realistically have to run this for free. And to some extent, if this is a marketing ploy, I'd rather they spent their money than make students (who made up a lot of the attendees) shell out London prices for a drink.

@Blaiddmelyn you have some good points. But i would personally never attend a event where the drinks are free. including water to make it fair. (mostly because of the environment,)

But the money can be like a tip that then goes to a donation for The Trevor project or something (something that AVEN is not connected to.)

I do realize that i am nitpicking and most people don´t have a problem with it. So i am probably wrong.

3 hours ago, michaeld said:

@Kimmie. - you'd never attend an event that was offering free water? o.o

I am not sure. Milions of people are dying all over the world because the lack of clean water so to give it out for free is kind of a insult. 

And i mentioned water just to make it fair between the drinkers and non-drinkers. And ofcourse if it is really warm and somone is risking to dehydrate then it can be free.

Or you can atleast make it possible for people to pay if they want to atleast.

EDIT: the event is a really great idea all things considered just not for me. ☺️

Sounds amazing! Well done to all!

🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰

Archived