Non-binary - need some advice on clothes

GillnotGil

I'm afab but I have recently started to identify as non binary. I'm a teacher, and at work I have to be dressed fairly formally. In the UK, for women that means any kind of smart casual - dresses or trousers are fine, sometimes a jacket, sometimes not. For men it generally means a suit, or something on that level. I have a couple of outfits that I like and make me feel good, with chinos, shirt and jacket. It's kind of halfway in between the men's suit and the women's options.

But basically I want to wear men's clothes, or a more masculine style of clothes. My issue is that men's clothes aren't designed to fit my body/my body doesn't work for men's clothes, so they look wrong on me/don't look how I want them to look. I guess I want to wear men's clothes and have them look like they do on men. (Side note: I'm quite slim, I have small boobs, curvy ish hips. Not the most feminine body but hard to disguise as not-feminine, definitely doesn't fit in men's clothing.)

The other option is to recreate men's styles with women's clothing, but I just can't find what I want. Clothing shops are all about that gender binary, they don't want to make women's clothes look like men's clothes. So if I'm in men's clothes I look wrong, and in women's clothes I look too feminine.

I don't really feel dysphoria with anything apart from clothes. I like my body - it doesn't define me, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with who I am and my gender - but I want to be able to dress how I want, and with my body I can't.

I feel stupid for getting upset over clothes not fitting me, and to be perfectly honest I don't know whether this would be labelled as dysphoria or just being picky. I'm lucky to be generally ok in my body, and I feel stupid to be making a fuss over this.

I guess I'm posting this to see if anyone feels the same, or if anyone has any advice? Would be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Bits of that were really interesting and have given me some things to think about, thank you!

Archived