Any real hermits who have survived to older age? :3

RakshaTheCat

RakshaTheCat

I've been wondering about it, since normal people seem to have huge need for any kind of company, they feel lonely all the time, while I don't. Elsewhere on this forum I've been told I should have gone 'mad' without any kind of social interactions, while I've been avoiding interactions like that my whole life... Also, I see most people have huge need to 'belong', while I don't care about it, I never belonged anywhere and most likely never will (not even sure what 'belonging' means). I'm perfectly happy with just being tolerated in any group I find useful, that's it.

It's funny, since I'm not completely asocial, I can be super social with random cats or dogs easily. It's just human social interactions are so pointless and boring for me that I avoid it like a plague. I can enjoy other kind of interactions, like helping someone, or working together on a project. I'm not even anti relationship, since I could easily live with compatible(!) person and be happy about it. But being social with random hoomans, uhh, no, thanks... 😸

Does anyone have similar? Is there anyone else who finds hooman social interactions completely pointless for them? Are social people going to get torches and pitchforks and drive me out of here now? 😸

I'm similar, but not the same. I couldn't live full reclusive. I like hanging out with my old friends (sadly, not in the same city) and have been open to meeting people just as good, but am not sure I have in the last few years. I certainly don't go out looking, but have met nice people through work and sport... but none that I really want to spend lots of time with (or, to be fair, most haven't felt that way about me). 

I find that even just a walk through the grocery store or the library or whatever - seeing people, navigating through them - is enough for me. It's not exhausting and I think I'd miss it if I had to live way out in the middle of nowhere. There is a point where the 'obligatory' interaction gets too much and I sneak away. I coach a sport and right after the game on Saturday there was a big get together... so I snuck off and wandered the farmer's market next door for 30 mins or so ... came back and had about five minutes of chatting ... then parked myself in a corner by myself to watch a bit of another game and then snuck off home while celebrations continued for a few more hours. I love the sport, but the social side isn't my scene at all.

RakshaTheCat
1 hour ago, robnrdbrd said:

I find that even just a walk through the grocery store or the library or whatever - seeing people, navigating through them - is enough for me. It's not exhausting and I think I'd miss it if I had to live way out in the middle of nowhere.

Hmm, I don't think of these are social interaction though. People here are just part of the environment, like seaguls or pidgeons. You don't have to really interact with them. I don't mind people as part of environment myself, as long as they don't try to be social with me :3

1 hour ago, robnrdbrd said:

I coach a sport and right after the game on Saturday there was a big get together... so I snuck off and wandered the farmer's market next door for 30 mins or so ... came back and had about five minutes of chatting ... then parked myself in a corner by myself to watch a bit of another game and then snuck off home while celebrations continued for a few more hours. I love the sport, but the social side isn't my scene at all.

This is exactly what I do whenever I end up doing something that involves other people. As long as there is something to do together, I'm happy to cooperate. But as soon as it becomes 'just hanging out', I'm out of there... 😺

TerrysAwake

I agree.  People take time and effort to be friends with. Most of the time they have their priorities messed up. Most people's interest are not mine and I get bored. I've got hobbies at home that are more entertaining. I've always understood animals and never have problems with them. The live in the now. As far as relationships, I do get lonely. And one person is enough to deal with. For me it's like the love I have for animals. I love to hold, cuddle, a peck on the snout and to get to know them. But, that's enough.

RakshaTheCat
5 hours ago, TerrysAwake said:

I agree.  People take time and effort to be friends with.

I would add that this is also dangerous, since most people are quite toxic to you when you get to know them, even if they seem nice at first. I have yet to learn how to recognize them before putting in effort. 

Hmm, my one idea is that maybe I should stop trying to be nice to people, and instead actually be offensive with some controversial opinions about random  privileged group? That usually turns toxic people into a lynch mob, which is great, because I can finally recognize them. I inadvertently did that in another thread and it made so many people show their true faces... 😺

Archived