Coming out to my sister

Some time ago I told my sister about asexuality. She started to ask about it. There were questions like "Can they have children?" (my sister is 17 like me). And last night she asked me,if asexuals fall in love. So I told her about romantic orientations etc. and she asked "So,who are you?" And I told her, that I'm asexual, being more precise- gray-asexual. "But you want to have husband in future?" I answered "yes". She also doesn't know, why people talk so much about sex and why this is considered as something super or amazing and she rather doesn't look at people in sexual way and also she istn't interested in relationship and sex with anyone,but she claims she isn't asexual. But she accepted my sexual orientation,but I didn't tell her about my biromantic and bisensual orientation. Too early.

secrethamster

I'm glad she was accepting, and it's good you guys seem to relate to each other well.

I would guess the "can asexuals have children" question came from knowing the other definition of asexual (as in reproduction by oneself). I once had a friend ask if I was ace, and another friend who was present just laughed off the question because "humans don't reproduce asexually." The falling in love question is also valid because people often group romantic and sexual attraction. 

I would also wait on the romantic and sensual explanations. My family/friends haven't ever heard the word "aromantic," at least not from me.

Trebledteen897

Congrats! Sounds like you're sister is super understanding! Sisters are the best. I came out to my sister (kinda implied I was bi, but definitely not straight) and she was super cool with it, and I talked about my squishes/crushes with her. She also asked about the marriage thing, and I just told her we would wait and see. I remember she said something along the lines of "I think I'm straight, but its so cool that people can have the feeling I feel toward the same gender or multiple genders, or completely different feelings, or no feelings at all. Everyone is unique and special." My sister was 10.

On a completely different note, one of my (straight) friends over heard a conversation about my asexuality (the identity) and thought we were talking about asexual cellular reproduction. I was very confused when he started spouting stuff about mitosis. But now its a running gag that in my school's gsa, whenever an asexual is absent (there are a surprising number of us) that they are "busy performing mitosis". Thought I would share! 

*ace culture is performing mitosis

TheFoxDenArtist
On 6/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, MaggieB said:

Some time ago I told my sister about asexuality. She started to ask about it. There were questions like "Can they have children?" (my sister is 17 like me). And last night she asked me,if asexuals fall in love. So I told her about romantic orientations etc. and she asked "So,who are you?" And I told her, that I'm asexual, being more precise- gray-asexual. "But you want to have husband in future?" I answered "yes". She also doesn't know, why people talk so much about sex and why this is considered as something super or amazing and she rather doesn't look at people in sexual way and also she istn't interested in relationship and sex with anyone,but she claims she isn't asexual. But she accepted my sexual orientation,but I didn't tell her about my biromantic and bisensual orientation. Too early.

I wish my parents took it that way. My internet is being restricted because they think my friends have “corrupted” me or something.

@TheFoxDenArtist good luck with your parents i hope they can soon understand and fully accept you. Good luck with those internet restrictions couldn't imagine how painful that is. You have my sympathies.:cake:

TheFoxDenArtist
1 hour ago, Aceon said:

@TheFoxDenArtist good luck with your parents i hope they can soon understand and fully accept you. Good luck with those internet restrictions couldn't imagine how painful that is. You have my sympathies.:cake:

Thanks, so far I’ve been able to lay low but it just feels like I’m skating on thin ice

On 6/18/2019 at 7:30 PM, TheFoxDenArtist said:

I wish my parents took it that way. My internet is being restricted because they think my friends have “corrupted” me or something.

That is horrible. I’m so sorry.

sending you a mental hug.

and you parents a mental lecture.

(as long as that’s okay with you) 

Congratulations! 😊 The first person I came out to was my younger sister, she was also accepting. Sometimes sisters can understand you better than parents

On 6/19/2019 at 1:30 AM, TheFoxDenArtist said:

I'm so sorry your parents reacted like that. My parents were like that, though I never came out to them

Archived