Wanna join a commune?

robnrdbrd

Not a cult, I swear! No sex stuff. No religion or occult. Don't have to hand over any money to any 'dear leader' type. Certainly no murder or brainwashing! Fully on the grid and not much work would be asked of you either ... so maybe "commune" isn't the right word?

Wanna homestead?

I'm about to start a new job in a great area, but looking at housing prices (especially with my desire to live in the country and have a few acres, at least), I can't see how a super-single guy like me could ever buy! :(    ... thought maybe I could get a bunch of friends to go in on a plot of land and split it up, each of us building the dwelling we want and paying our own way. 

Does anyone else harbour such dreams? Would you want to live in the same building as others or be as separate as possible? Is there something you'd want to share? I think it'd be easy enough to have a shared outdoor cooking / eating space, a shed with a gym, and a communal workshop.

That kind of idea has always seemed great. I'd love to live in a place with a bunch of friends platonically working together to make resources more effective. But I think there are reasons things like that tend to not work out in the long term, unfortunately. It is a nice dream. I think my ideal state would be perpetual college (the shared experience, not the parties)

I'd not want to live in a large plot of land. I'd want a small number of rooms of reasonable size (small amount of rooms to make it easier to get around the building, rooms need enough space for kitchen counter, closets, etc.). I'd probably rather live alone tbh, but due to housing prices in my city (and country in general) I figure I'd need a significantly higher salary and/or live with a few other people in a non-sexual/romantic manner just to afford a place to live, once I move out of my parents' place.

So kindaish, as long as it's a reasonable distance from places I need to get to. So not in the country or anything. But it's more a pragmatic choice than something I'd want per se.

I consider it, but I prefer isolation, or I want the friends I live with to be very close, in a friendship way, or to do it with a partner. I much prefer moving around though, avoiding sedentation, but as you said, housing prices are high, and it's ridiculously expensive to go anywhere and stay overnight in my car. Humans are pretty much in every single nook and cranny.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:01 AM, nebula443 said:

I consider it, but I prefer isolation, or I want the friends I live with to be very close, in a friendship way, or to do it with a partner. I much prefer moving around though, avoiding sedentation, but as you said, housing prices are high, and it's ridiculously expensive to go anywhere and stay overnight in my car. Humans are pretty much in every single nook and cranny.

As much as I have the above dream, I could also see myself travelling around the world and never putting down roots ... but the former is more realistic, financially, than the latter. 

Depends in the living accommodations for me and location of the commune. If it was ranchy with like a main building and smaller cabins/cottages/mini houses scattered around the premises that be ok by me. Then I could live in one of the cabins, preferably close to the woods (If I don't get forest and mountains at least once a day I get abstinence, I'm addicted to mountain forests.)

I need my own space but having the option of being around people when I feel like it is nice.

Working together for resources and sharing that is not so bad.

This sounds like a great idea, but my future choice of living arrangements is going to depend on where they need geoscientists the most.

Archived