Pokemon Sword and Shield not allowing transfer of non-Galar Pokemon

AspieAlly613

AspieAlly613

To say that I don't like this misses the point.  I think it's a generally bad idea.

Pokemon's big fall from grace (sort of) when their popularity fell from "ubiquitous" to "popular among a type of person" came when they did something similar with the release of Ruby and Sapphire.  This seems like such a bad decision that I'm tempted to think that there's more to it than meets the eye.

It would be nice if this were part of some anti-cheating initiative to prevent players from transferring their hacked Pokemon from earlier games.  (I could rant about how Nintendo has quietly been condoning cheating, but that would distract from the point at hand.)  However, since players can still transfer their older Pokemon as long as those Pokemon appear in the Galar Pokedex this would not solve the problem.

Another idea is that this is an attempt to sell more games.  The second titles for Generation 8 could have a National Pokedex.  I'm hopeful that the next games will be Sinnoh remakes so that the Sinnoh story can be played without the "fake difficulty" of all of Sinnoh's time-wasting but not challenging annoyances.

I think this is just a continuing sign of Pokemon starting to get too big for its britches.

I remember finding out in gen 7 that any Pokemon that were not in the Alola dex, while they were present in the game and did function (and whichever ones that weren't in the games could be transferred from previous gens and would still function), they did not even get Pokedex entries.  To me this made the games feel incomplete in a way, which reflected poorly on what was supposed to be their 20th anniversary celebration of the franchise.

Now with some Pokemon being outright excluded from the games, even the widely recognized slogan of "gotta catch 'em all" doesn't feel appropriate anymore.  It was excusable for Pokemon Snap ("gotta catch 'em all... on film!") to not have all the known Pokemon at the time because that was not only a spin-off but also an experimental new take on the franchise.  That sort of thing doesn't really feel as acceptable to me anymore.

If you're starting to have so many Pokemon that it's not feasible to include them all in the main series games... maybe you're starting to have too many.

AspieAlly613

Oddly enough, they dropped the "Gotta Catch 'em All" slogan with the release of Ruby and Sapphire.

Comrade F&F

I love pokemon, even if real life obligations took me away from the games since gen 4-5. I guess if I ever get back to it, I'll get up to Gen 7 and stop there. I can understand the non-transfer from RBY/GSC to RSE, since they all functioned on different engines. And two generations is a lot less than seven. But no transference this far into the franchise? Kind of disappointing.

I'll stick to Pokemon Go for now.

AuroraeBorealis

Do you think it might be related to the new pokemon "superpower" that makes them go really big? Maybe so they only wanted to programmed that thing for a reduced group of pokemon, instead of every single one of them.

Do you think it might be related to the new pokemon "superpower" that makes them go really big? Maybe so they only wanted to programmed that thing for a reduced group of pokemon, instead of every single one of them.

Dynamaxing was already a cheap way of giving every Pokemon a "super form" while investing minimal effort and resources into it, considering that the Mega forms of gen 6 still actually involved creating new models and animations for each of the lucky few to get such a form.

The fact that in addition to this they also had to cut out some unknown chunk of all the known Pokemon is... well, it feels doubly lazy to me.  It also seems self-defeating to their own cause in a way.  Maybe they felt like they had to give every Pokemon a chance to "shine" via Dynamaxing as opposed to Megas, but how is this situation ultimately different from cutting out some Pokemon entirely in order to do it?  Either way, some are getting left out.

God I could write an essay on the games declining quality. I was mad in X&Y when there was like zero endgame content.

Also...

-The GTS won't filter out legendaries properly...

-The game runs so slowly with 3D models, they took out triple and rotation battles because of that and had barely any double battles...

-The national dex removed...

-Sun and Moon's handholding through most of the game was so bad I almost quit...

-Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was basically the same game, £40 for each game and the only real difference was the Y button saving the game. Really shameful...

-The minigame to catch legendaries in Ultra was motion controls by default and most people seem to hate that...

-They advertised the Gogoat riding in X/Y like it was gonna be big and it was only one location which annoyed me...

-Adding great features and removing them for no reason...

-The clear removal of most connecting features, e.g. Battle Royale has no connection mode...

-I'll say it again, endgame. Pokemon Battle Frontier being removed with just a sign in it's place.

That's all off the top of my head. After Sun and Moon I said I wouldn't buy another but I tried one last time with Ultra and it was literally the same game. I don't own a switch though so I guess the choice was made for me. I saw a screenshot of the trees in Sword & Shield though and it looks awful. I like two of the new pokemon designs and the rest are kinda bad in my opinion. They have all this new technology to work with and they consistently disappoint. The sprites were fine, I say go back to sprites. Black and White 2 is my favourite game, since then the only one I really liked was Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Just my two cents though.

-I'll say it again, endgame. Pokemon Battle Frontier being removed with just a sign in it's place.

This was an egregious one for me too.  It almost felt like they were mocking the players who expected something like it to be there.

Archived