Gendfluid hairstyle tips?

DoYouThinkHeSawrUs

DoYouThinkHeSawrUs

Hi all,

I recently came out as genderfluid from previously being seen as male. I've bought a number of more feminine clothes to help blend the line and keep me from feeling trapped as a male, and I've been growing my hair out for a while, but it's barely past my ears. I'm feeling pretty good about the new clothes that I've been getting, but I feel like my hair is just kind of bland. Are there any hairstyles you think might help me? I cant supy a picture right now, but my hair is thick and straight and I have a moderately round possibly oval face.

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome! What color is the hair?

Just Somebody

I'm genderfluid,  my hair is naturally long, when I want to be socially readen as a guy I hide it under hats or hoodies (sometimes I leave some hair clips out as bangs to look more realistic).

Others with short hair may use wigs to be socially readen as women.

Captain_Tass

Well, bandannas are an amazing hair accessory for genderfluid folks, because they're very versatile and can be worn in many different ways, some seen as feminine and some seen as masculine.

DoYouThinkHeSawrUs
1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

Welcome! What color is the hair?

Thanks! It's very dark brown, often it looks black

DoYouThinkHeSawrUs
31 minutes ago, Life Of Tass said:

Well, bandannas are an amazing hair accessory for genderfluid folks, because they're very versatile and can be worn in many different ways, some seen as feminine and some seen as masculine.

Thanks! I'll look up some ways to play with that to help

I think something about shoulder length or to the jawline works well for looking either like a girl with short-ish hair or like a guy with long hair. 

Styling it more messy and to the back makes it look more masc while having it more neat and parted to the side makes it look more fem. You could put it up in a man bun, or go for a more feminine up do by maybe leaving a strand or two out to frame your face. Lots of stuff you could do with that kind of haircut.

But for what you have right now I'd still say that having no part, a less obvious part, or a symmetric looking style makes it look more masc and an asymmetric part in the hair makes it look more fem.

• 3 months later...

I identify as genderfluid, and hair's been an interesting thing for me. I have shoulder-length hair, that I style different for when I decide to come out publicly.  Usually, I tie it in a ponytail, and wear a pair of goggles (a headband is a good substitute) on my forehead with the ponytail going through the slit in the strap (and the hair tie taken out). Meanwhile, if I'm feeling more feminine, I would do a side pony, with a small braid going in the loose hair.

Fluffy Femme Guy

Do you like putting your hair in a ponytail?

DarkStormyKnight

I'm NB but I've found that I just can't make up my mind about the hair, I keep growing it out and chopping it off repeatedly haha. It's haaaarddddd hair is so weird.

Something I've found helpful is dying it bright unnatural colors. I like to have hair that 1) tells everyone with any hint of gaydar that I'm not straight and cis, and 2) doesn't fit gender conventions for men or women. If you like to be perceived as a man or woman, though, this might not be as helpful.

DuranDuranfan
12 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

I'm NB but I've found that I just can't make up my mind about the hair, I keep growing it out and chopping it off repeatedly haha. It's haaaarddddd hair is so weird.

LOL same here! My hair is long now but thinking of getting it cut and styled like Matt Flynn(Maroon 5).

DarkStormyKnight

Yes go for it!!! I just chopped mine all off (again) and feeling really happy with it. :)

DuranDuranfan

Plus whenever I cut my hair, if it’s long enough I have it donated to make wigs for cancer patients or folks with alopecia.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:34 PM, redbaron said:

Something I've found helpful is dying it bright unnatural colors. I like to have hair that 1) tells everyone with any hint of gaydar that I'm not straight and cis, and 2) doesn't fit gender conventions for men or women. If you like to be perceived as a man or woman, though, this might not be as helpful.

Yes, that's a great idea. I've been toying with it. But then again, I don't really want to draw yet more attention to myself. Tricky!

Argh, androgynous hair is hard. I'd like mine shorter, but still long enough to tie it back, to avoid that annoying length where it's long enough to go in your face but too short to tie it back or fall naturally to the sides... and I don't want it completely short, too... shoulder length seems nice, but I'm still hesitant. 

2 hours ago, Poe's Creep Meta said:

Argh, androgynous hair is hard. I'd like mine shorter, but still long enough to tie it back, to avoid that annoying length where it's long enough to go in your face but too short to tie it back or fall naturally to the sides... and I don't want it completely short, too... shoulder length seems nice, but I'm still hesitant. 

I've currently got shoulder length hair with an undercut, and I can't recommend it enough! It's the most versatile androgynous hair style in the world. I can wear my hair in a bun for more masc looks, I can let my hair down or wear it in a low ponytail for a very androgynous look which I call "the IT guy" because I personally really look the part with my hair that way for some reason or I can wear my hair in a high ponytail with some strands let loose to frame my face for a more fem look. All I'm going to say is that I will be absolutely over the moon the day that my bangs are on the same length as the rest of my hair (I used to have short bangs, now they're at the very annoying length you mentioned) because I'm a bit over of having to use like 13 hairpins to keep them in place.

• 4 weeks later...

If your hair is still growing out I'd suggest hairbands. Another good style would be a side part with some clips on the shorter side. Once it grows out more, side parts are still great and you can take a small bit of hair on the long side and braid or leave it alone and clip it to the side of your hair above your ear. This keeps the hair out of your face and looks quite feminine. If you want to avoid brightly colored hair, you can get some natural highlights or dye the underside of your hair and pin it up when you feel more feminine! 

If your hair grows long enough to not look feminine enough, middle parts, straight hair, and low/neat buns all look masculine. You could also bunch up hair under a hat. I've seen some people get shaved sides and let their hair down when feeling feminine and up when masculine.

I tend to have a similar issue, there are spray cans of hair color that i find can be quite effeminate if I’m going out as a quick fix, for long term let your hair grow!

Archived