Anyone following the Woman's World Cup,

Brossy91

Anyone else watching?  Ive been a supporter  of the England woman team for a few years just wondering if there any another female football fans here? 

2 minutes ago, Brossy91 said:

Anyone else watching?

Yes, as far as I have time for it. Unfortunately the live-stream lags sometimes. This is the first time I'm following the Woman's World Cup, so all of this is quite new to me. But I enjoyed all the matches that I've seen so far. I don't know which team I should support yet.

AspieAlly613

What I find interesting is that the United States, despite its early dominance, only has a 24% chance to win the World Cup according to fivethirtyeight.com.  This means that there's a 76% chance of them being the antagonists in an upcoming "miracle" style movie.

I have been a huge fan and follower of the USWNT since I was in grade school. I'm ready to see them play Sweden and more dominant/competitive teams. 

I love the USWNT (especially Megan Rapinoe) and have been watching as much as I can! Most of the games are on while I'm at work, so I can't really watch live 😕  I'm also part Swedish, so I'm excited to see them play Thursday! 

7 hours ago, kmarra said:

I have been a huge fan and follower of the USWNT since I was in grade school. I'm ready to see them play Sweden and more dominant/competitive teams. 

2 hours ago, Cuddles<3 said:

I love the USWNT (especially Megan Rapinoe) and have been watching as much as I can! Most of the games are on while I'm at work, so I can't really watch live 😕  I'm also part Swedish, so I'm excited to see them play Thursday! 

I think USWNT vs Sweden will actually challenge the girls, the opener against Thailand was just too easy.    Fingers crossed they won't be too over confident. 

Does regularly watching highlights on YT count as following? I guess not :)  I do follow the results, though. Given the history of Women's World Cup US is likely to be in top 3, but constant domination of one team is not a good thing, so I wouldn't mind a big surprise. (Like, what happened to Germany in the men's tournament).

Speaking of the US team, what do you all think about the post US-Thailand match controversy re: supposedly excessive goal celebration?

Also, what's your opinion about this video?

Spoiler

Yes. Watch YT highlights counts! @Piotrek. Seeing as the US and Sweden are going into this match after playing the same teams, they will be evenly matched. After this game though, they will have to play a game on the full length of a field with teams that actually challenge their own keeper and give them a run for their money. 

I think the U.S. "excessive celebration" controversy was bullshit. If the USMNT did the same thing, they would be celebrated. Since it was women winning, media outlets are going to do everything they can to take a victory away from them. 

Also, really enjoyed that video of Germany's Women's Team. It's sucks that's they don't have the fan base of the USWNT. I wish the world cared more about women's soccer. 

13 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Also, what's your opinion about this video?

Aw, it's a shame that the pun at 0:35 doesn't work in English :D but yeah, I don't know any of their names and of all the matches I have watched over the course of nearly 24 years, maybe 5 have been women's ones. I guess it would be more interesting if the matches were more competitive...

Maybe it's because in my sport (rugby), excessive celebrations are looked down upon much of the time, but when you're 8-0 up, just waltzing around a team, and celebrating like you would against Germany, it's a bit much.  Again, this is from my circle of sports fans, but I'm sure all of my friends would feel the same if it were men celebrating that kind of dominance.  In contrast, I thought the way the Aussies celebrated yesterday showed more humility.  

I've coached women's rugby since 2003, which has included everyone from brand new teens to women who've played for our country and won World Cup medals. I've played and coached in games that we've lost by 70 and won by 100 point margins. If anyone celebrated to that degree when up by that much, it'd be an insult. The same is true when you watch the men's / women's rugby world cups. It makes for a great community of sport where - though a bit of a cliche - we can literally beat up on each other but still share a beer after the game and almost completely avoid the antagonistic competitiveness and even 'tribalism' that's more common in football (far, far less so in women's football, to be fair).  

When you're 10 goals up, what are you celebrating so wildly? There's a great book about the New Zealand All Blacks, sport's most successful team historically, and it has some great things to say about humility ... https://books.google.ca/books?id=jpvABAAAQBAJ&pg=PT19&lpg=PT19&dq=legacy+kerr+humility&source=bl&ots=0Op1z4LtDe&sig=ACfU3U3yvc1kbUmoR_McogMT4qyi1IeJyw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigv7i3wfXiAhVMmeAKHTltA-U4FBDoATAFegQIExAB#v=onepage&q=legacy kerr humility&f=false

My team has had two lopsided victories in a row, mostly because we have better athletes than most teams, but we still have a lot to work on and everyone is well aware of this. We talked about setting new challenges and not taking the easy route because it won't help us in the long run and certainly not if we get promoted to the Premier League. It'll be interesting to see how the US cope with pressure as the tournament goes. They've got the biggest and best system in the world, so the talent is there, but teams that aren't grounded and well aware of limitations/how best to coordinate themselves toward utilizing their whole-team strengths are more susceptible to being knocked off by a giant killer that is.

I like the Germany video, hopefully it will encourage the country to get behind them.  The England team have put billboards up in the players home towns, great to get local support but not so good for the areas with no players. 

Spoiler

Billboard fran-kirby-billboard.ashx?cw=1048&ch=590

Scotland eliminated Poland in the qualifications so it kinda sucks (from the Polish perspective) that they are already leaving the WC...

Proper upset the tartan army are out var at it worst I’m afraid

I'm watching with some friends. We're very happy because Marta (a brazilian soccer player) is now the best in the world. She's even better than Pelé! 

Unfortunately people in Brazil don't care very much about Woman's Wolrd Cup and a few people know about how Incredible Marta is. But at least I'm happy to see that my friends are watching the Cup with me.

England has beaten Cameroon 3:0. So far Europe- Rest of the World 3:0 

Siimo van der fietspad

I felt pretty uncomfortable watching most of the England game. I've witnessed plenty of aggro and spats in men's matches but the way Cameroon behaved felt about the worst thing I've ever seen in a football match, even including actual fights. We all have to get used to VAR overturning decisions that might have stood based on just the eyes of the referees, but apart from the marginal offside it was unbelievable they were allowed to waste so much time arguing the toss. England were incredibly professional about it, not least because deliberately disrupting the game can be a psychological cheat to break up opponents' momentum. It's a shame too because up to now I really liked that female football was largely without any of the stupidity that was going on in the men's game. Neville was completely right to get angry about the representation this

Anyway, I starting following the WWC and Euros in 2015 after seeing the astonishing sight of 11 people wearing the Three Lions who, instead of jogging in their own half and holding out a 1-1 to miss penalties, were dancing round the pitch, flicking the ball fluently between them and fairly frequently making it fly past goalkeepers. Also unlike the 'other lot', they were hyper-fit polyglots who articulately chatted through post-match interviews and just got up if they were knocked down. I was hooked. This WWC has been properly good, really high quality football, but I don't like the time that VAR takes up. What's also great is that the tournament is still wide open based on how teams are playing.

- One thing that needs to change now is that men's tournaments need to be titled as such, not 'The (proper) World Cup' and 'The Women's World Cup'

- Both of France's kits look awesome, even down to the lettering and numbers on the back which have a 'French' styling. England red kit and Norway ombre also very nice.

- I seem to be developing a big squish on Ellen White...

I'm kind of following. I've only watched two matches so far though - haven't got the time.

On the one hand VAR is great because it makes the whole affair fairer and the players get to drink a bit. On the other it is being used to often and does interrupt the flow of the game.

7 hours ago, Siimo said:

One thing that needs to change now is that men's tournaments need to be titled as such, not 'The (proper) World Cup' and 'The Women's World Cup'

I second that.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, Brossy91 said:

I like the Germany video, hopefully it will encourage the country to get behind them.

I'm afraid nobody I know has seen that video. Hardly anyone here talks about the World Cup. I'm behind the team though!

As for VAR I can think of two ways of curtailing its overuse:

- limiting it to a fixed number of "VAR challenges" per team per period (half), the way it's currently done in volleyball

- limiting it to a fixed number of "VAR challenges" per team per period (half), with the proviso that if your challenge stands you keep it and if it's overturned you lose it for this half/your limit decreases; system like that was used in the December's Men's Field Hockey World Cup 

No idea how well it would translate into the much more physical football, though. 

Most importantly, though, experienced referees are needed with the skills needed to make right decisions and see through the players' BS. 

Not been following very closely, mainly because most games are taking place when I'm otherwise engaged. In Britain the sport is gaining popularity, mainly on the back of the previous World Cup. Screening the games on free to view will only help as well 

Been following with Goal.com's commentary, which, funnily, is better than FIFA's, otherwise, I will watch them when I get home. Also been sorta following Copa de Oro, though not quite as closely.

Anyway, the games this year have been stellar. Yesterday's game between France and Brazil was riveting and one of the more physical games I've seen in a while.

The VAR has been both a blessing and a curse I think. While I see it a useful tool to use in a situation where the ref's own line of sight might be impaired, it can also be a bit unfair to the player who's just made a goal, only to have it rescinded due to a very fine technicality ...

I've watched it n and off, mostly had it on in the background.

I do like that it is getting more coverage this time out though. It's deserved.

33 minutes ago, Moonman said:

I don't see there being a very fine technicality though. Offside is a clear, black and white ruling, there's no small instance here that should be made exempt or anything of that sort. y'know, there's no grey area here. If you pass that line you are offside, that is the rule. Offside offences are more subjective of course but that's not relevant here. Yesterday's call with the Cameroon player was a close one but that's what VAR is for and fair play to the lineswoman for giving her the benefit of the doubt and not flagging. This is what I like VAR for, because too often they raise the flag when it's very tight and a lot of the time the player that's been penalised has been revealed to be onside. So, for me, let them play on even when it's marginally offside and leave those close calls to the video replays.

With regards the tournament as a whole, I don't think it's been the advert for the women's game that people wanted it to be. Everything about yesterday's England game was farcical. But, they chose to have just female officials instead of the best, most qualified officials regardless of gender so... 🤷‍♂️ 

I missed the England-Cameroon game yesterday. By the time I realized it was on, it had actually finished. I guess some nonsense ensued?

I agree with you - offside is offside.

The very fine technicality I was referring to took place during the France-Brazil game when Brazil's goalie, hemmed in on all sided by a bunch of players of both teams, had her hands on the ball but which still managed to be bunted into the goal by a French player.

VAR needs to die. If you can't deal with people making mistakes, this sport is not for you.

Also, how is that not a goal? Keeper comes out and misses the ball. Tough luck, but I fail to see a foul.

That's a bit harsh. It needs to be re-examined. If VAR clarifies an offside / ball out of play then fine. To me two things need resolving. Firstly revert to the old offside law - in front of the last defender and your offside, simple, and secondly handball. How do you define intent? 

Team USA has made it to the final once again. Who will join them?

scarletlatitude

giphy.gif

I didn't watch the game, but judging by the match stats I saw at livescore it must have been pretty one-sided. Any impressions from those of you whohave seen it?

Also, why is it that women's football/soccer is so much stronger than men's in US? Is there less competition from other other major sports than in men's case?

Ringmaster04
On 7/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, Piotrek said:

I didn't watch the game, but judging by the match stats I saw at livescore it must have been pretty one-sided. Any impressions from those of you whohave seen it?

Also, why is it that women's football/soccer is so much stronger than men's in US? Is there less competition from other other major sports than in men's case?

The US pretty much had control of both sides of the ball in every game they played. The Netherlands took advantage of a vulnerability up the middle of the defense but couldn't get the goal. The Netherlands are primarily a defensive team and they were the first team that actually made it hard for the US to score (with the help of fantastic goalkeeping). But once the US broke through, the Netherlands had to force themselves to push the attack and that left their defense wide open and the US really ran away with the game despite the score.

For the many faults the US has, a focus on at least attempting to attain some level of gender equality has resulted in the US devoting a good bit of resources to women's soccer, particularly in contrast to other countries. Conversely, men's soccer has been the pinnacle of sports throughout the world for decades, but didn't come into prominence into the US until much later. So compared against the rest of the world, the US women have had an experience and resource advantage, while the men are still playing catchup to the rest of the world. 

Spoiler

@Ringmaster04

YouTube clearly reads my mind. It recommended me this video and, yeah, much of what you said, is metioned there.

Archived