Lord Jade Cross

3 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

have it and your overqualified.

I'd rather be overqualified than under. It's essentially taking a degree in a skillset that gets you jobs easily. 

Trades in a growing economy, is a safe bet. 

Education doesn't teach you certain things in life. I honestly think the education isn't the issue. 

12 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

What would you say the issue is? 

I don't have a career in what I went to college for. 

I was still able to find a job that pays well. 

Many don't have careers that relate to their college degrees. It's not even realistic to expect it. 

The issue isn't college.

Taking an engineering course and then trying for years to get a job in a niche market vs sharpening one's skills for the on demand jobs is a foolish move.

This is something schools can't teach you. 

1 hour ago, Jade Cross said:

(realistically mind you because I know thhe reason they push it is for profit like everything else)

They are businesses for the most part.

Just like the pharmaceutical industry relies heavily on doctors force feeding the masses medicine. 

Made all the more real if you go to walk in clinics. 

Colleges aren't the issue. You can't go into college clueless as you're likely wasting your money on useless skills. These are things that need to carefully be considered by the students or parents. 

This is your first major life expense. You do your homework when buying a home, no? Why should college be any different or why should colleges bear the blame?

To me it's like blaming McDonalds for getting fat. They advertise and sell addictive foods, but the onus is still on the individual. 

Why is college any different? Why blame college?

The course I took doesn't relate to my career, but some of the skills learned have given me a major edge on my competition. 

I have a lot of transferable skills. 

Out of college I humbled myself, and built my skills doing volunteer work in fields I wanted a shot in to gain experience while working a job. 

Many refuse to, and expect a career out of college. I don't know a single soul that has gotten that lucky. 

With the right attitude and education, nothing is stopping you other than yourself. 

Education only gets doors ajar. Its your job to kick them open.

InDefenseOfPOMO
2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

They are businesses for the most part.

Just like the pharmaceutical industry relies heavily on doctors force feeding the masses medicine. 

Made all the more real if you go to walk in clinics. 

Colleges aren't the issue. You can't go into college clueless as you're likely wasting your money on useless skills. These are things that need to carefully be considered by the students or parents. 

This is your first major life expense. You do your homework when buying a home, no? Why should college be any different or why should colleges bear the blame?

To me it's like blaming McDonalds for getting fat. They advertise and sell addictive foods, but the onus is still on the individual. 

Why is college any different? Why blame college?

The course I took doesn't relate to my career, but some of the skills learned have given me a major edge on my competition. 

I have a lot of transferable skills. 

Out of college I humbled myself, and built my skills doing volunteer work in fields I wanted a shot in to gain experience while working a job. 

Many refuse to, and expect a career out of college. I don't know a single soul that has gotten that lucky. 

With the right attitude and education, nothing is stopping you other than yourself. 

Education only gets doors ajar. Its your job to kick them open.

What is sad is how few people appreciate the opportunity to pursue a college education.

Most people--in the U.S. at least--complain about having to take History, Philosophy, Sociology, etc. courses that present material that they will "never use at a job"; complain about not getting a job with a six-figure salary after all of that academic work; complain about being left with debt; etc.

I have heard that only 1% of the global population has a college degree. If you count all of the people in the past who never had the option of higher education the percentage is even lower.

It is an honor and a privilege to be able to study at a university. Historically, women, non-whites, non-upper-class people, non-Europeans, and other people with second-class status had almost absolutely no opportunity to pursue higher education. Only relatively recently has the average member of society had the opportunity to study and produce the greatest ideas from Philosophy, the fine arts, the natural sciences, the social sciences, theology, etc. Throughout most of history such opportunities were limited to, basically, wealthy white men of European descent.

Yet, usually when you hear people talking about college it is about nothing but the cost, the job market, the pressure to earn a degree in order to be competitive, debt, etc. That is sad.

10 hours ago, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

What is sad is how few people appreciate the opportunity to pursue a college education.

For me, it's the lack of thought that goes into this. 

Its a major expense that literally can follow you for half your life if you don't put careful consideration into it. 

I know tons of people who struggled to find good jobs in one market, so moved to one where their skills were sought after. 

An education will be your backup plan for such a move. 

Drive, humility, and resourcefulness aren't things college can teach you. 

Most students struggle out of college, but painfully few will humble themselves about it and expect jobs to be handed to them. I had to pay my dues for a good decade before I got my first break. 

Then will blame the college system which is broken, but you are the one who applied. 

I know many in management who deliberately won't give a job to a person right out of college. Pay your dues first. 

Humans are already stupid enough as is.

If we don't emphasise the importance of education, we end up with more Patrick Stars and more Doughnald Dumps.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

If it was "stupidity" we'd see a larger share of bigots among people with learning disabilities. Instead, they're a target, because bigotry has nothing to do with outdated ideas of "intelligence". Donald Trump has always been deeply racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist and xenophobic, the fact that people only see a reason to say something about it when they can scapegoat mentally ill people or people with diseases like alzheimer's etc having any visibility whatsoever as the problem is a continuation of bigotry, not an attack against it.

"Education" is just a convenient way for more privileged, wealthy cis, het and allosexual/romantic people to act like they can't perpetuate bigotry due to their class status.

5 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

If it was "stupidity" we'd see a larger share of bigots among people with learning disabilities. Instead, they're a target, because bigotry has nothing to do with outdated ideas of "intelligence". Donald Trump has always been deeply racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist and xenophobic, the fact that people only see a reason to say something about it when they can scapegoat mentally ill people or people with diseases like alzheimer's etc having any visibility whatsoever as the problem is a continuation of bigotry, not an attack against it.

"Education" is just a convenient way for more privileged, wealthy cis, het and allosexual/romantic people to act like they can't perpetuate bigotry due to their class status.

In my experience educated people are more likely to be tolerant of  LGBT, gender fluidity etc than are uneducated people. Most colleges tend to be pretty liberal.  Not all, but a significant amount of bigotry comes from a lack on information about the group under discussion.    There is nothing like a 100% correlation, but I think there is a correlation between education level and tolerance. 

IMHO Donald Trump is not particularly educated, with just a BS in economics from some business school that he got in the 60s. 

Locking this as the original post has been deleted 

Archived