Do your parents still assume you're straight?

Anony-moose

As far as I know yes, however I have no plan to test that theory nor make them think otherwise. I do wish to date a girl in the future, but I only see a relationship actually working if the other person is also asexual.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

My former legal guardian thinks I am, and assumes I'll be sexual soon (I never will and never have) 

She thinks I'll find someone,  and get into a romantic relationship, she knew of my friend in Ireland who I had a platonic relationship with,and thought I would start dating them. 

I've told her I'll never let anyone touch me.

Before I came out my parents assumed I was straight despite me never showing an interest in dating and always changing the topic every time my mom brought up, "My future kids". My aunts and grandmas still assume I'm straight, going so far as to tell me what kind of guy I should marry and when. Now that I'm out to my parents they just avoid bringing it up as if they can ignore it away. 

Cassie Camille

The older I get without having what my parents call a "real relationship " (which I guess to them means a white man who I will marry and then have biological children with), the more my Mom and Grandmas have started fishing about if I am a lesbian (which they won't accept). I guess it has never occurred to them that I just don't want any relationships or sexual contact at all! It is getting really annoying fielding all their stupid subtle comments, but I know my family and their views (especially my dad and sisters) so I know that there is no way I can ever tell them that I am aromantic because they won't want me anymore. 

I'm just never in a relationship. Maybe their default is obviously 'straight until proven otherwise', but at least my mom and grandma seem fairly ok with other possibilities.

No. I told them years ago (8 years ago in fact) when I had a mental breakdown and thought I might be gay...

Turns out it was just OCD...

Now, they're totally cool with it. All they see is a decent person first.

Most people assume I'm heterosexual though. I feel no need to share every part of myself with others, because it's more important that I be considered a decent person who is supportive and friendly over my lack of sexual interest.

This might sound cynical, but my parents almost certainly think that I'm straight because it's not like I've ever seriously worried about not being attracted to women. Keep in mind, I'm the kind of person who tends to get anxious very easily.

(On the other hand, I did have some people jokingly ask if I "liked girls" in high school, which was probably because I wasn't outspoken about wanting to "bang" them. But anyway.)

WanderingKate

During the long journey of figuring out my sexuality I came out to my mother as bisexual, than gay, than ace, and I don't think she truly believed any of it. she couldn't fathom the idea of me being gay, but not due to homophobia...she's actually fairly accepting of the LGBT community. She's just had such limited exposure to lesbians in particular that because I'm fairly feminine and don't fit her idea of what a typical lesbian looks and acts like, that I was just confused. Asexuality she didn't believe for an entirely different reason...she's never quite said it but I'm fairly certain she doesn't believe in it's existence. Whenever I bring it up she just dismissively states that I'll find someone who will change my mind one day and that I'm just too young to know for sure (I'm 23...) so I've kind of given up explaining it to her. Now, because I've drilled it into her, she seems to understand that I'm not really into romance and that I don't choose partners based on gender...but the fact that I've only dated men is something she likes to bring up to prove that I must be straight 😕 So yeah, I'm pretty sure that everyone just assumes I'm hetero besides the fact that I've never once stated this in my life...I don't exactly go around talking about my dislike of sex to people as I find it's not a super fun topic of conversation :D So i get it, but I do wish that people wouldn't just assume one's sexuality is hetero by default. 

I tried to tell them once.  It was awkward.  Didn't penetrate.  I didn't try again.

Ultimately, I decided it didn't matter.  It's not like they hound me about relationships anyway.  What benefit is there in telling them?  The proof is in the pudding, and the net result is the same regardless of whether I was straight and unmarried, or asexual and unmarried.

• 2 weeks later...

My loving and conservative mother is fine with me not wanting sex, but as soon as i started using the label 'asexual' she's been concerned. wants me to get my hormones checked. i would never tell her that i consider myself queer. She wouldn't love me less, im sure, but she would try to convince me that i'm 'normal' (i.e., not queer, i.e., straight) 

If she wants to think im straight thats fine i guess as long as she's not pushing me to get into a relationship (she's not. she's very supportive of me staying single and just adopting 12 cats).

I told my mom I think 1,5 years ago. I don't exactly remember how the topic came up, it might have been because my brother asked me if I had ha crush on my best friend. And I just told them. My mom mostly doesn't care however she had a problem with labels and didn't get why I needed one. But recently the local radio station did an interview with an asexual person in her age group. Now she seems to really get it. Having some one she can identify with explain it seemed to have helped.

I also think she might also be on the asexual spectrum. But since she is not interested in finding out or labeling her self it is only a guess.

Still I guess I am ultra lucky having an so accepting mom. 

Archived