A list of prominent LGBTQIA+ advocacy and support groups/organizations that say the A means ally?

Yodasodabob

Yodasodabob

I attended Indy pride this weekend and noticed that not only was there not a lot of ace stuff at the vendors but the Human Rights Campaign,  who had totes for the L, G, B, T, Q, and A letters, used Ally instead of Asexual.  This and some minor research led me to a question:  is there a list of all the groups that list the A as meaning ally?  

I did some searching but couldn't find one, so I decided to reach out here, the biggest asexual community, and see if someone knew of one before I start reaching out to groups and compiling one myself!   If no one knows of one, I'll post on here how people can help/a link to the drive document I'll probably be using. 

Thanks! 

Some LGBT people don't support the Ace community. I was on another forum site, and the LGBT community there thought that since asexuality was never illegal, we shouldn't be apart of Pride. People feel differently every you go.

everywhere and nowhere

"Ally" is not even an identity. It's a political position. So it should be rather "LGBT+ (including asexuals) and their allies", not allies as part of the group.

everywhere and nowhere
8 minutes ago, EnigmaChea said:

Some LGBT people don't support the Ace community. I was on another forum site, and the LGBT community there thought that since asexuality was never illegal, we shouldn't be apart of Pride.

Technically it never was, but in practice - over the ages asexual people were submitted to a lot of sexual violence, in form of, for example, forced marriages.

4 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Technically it never was, but in practice - over the ages asexual people were submitted to a lot of sexual violence, in form of, for example, forced marriages.

Yes, but some people are still ignorant about the Ace community. Also, on the previous forum I was on, someone stated that Pride should only be for the LGBromantic Aces instead of everything under the Ace spectrum. Some Pride events are exclusive while others aren't. It can become a political debate very quickly.

Ugh. Yeah, because being asexual and growing up having strangers laugh and gossip about your gender, saying to their friends that you must be gay, angrily being told to use a different restroom (and being stared at in public, often) is, apparently, a common, heterosexual, cisgender experience. <_< That's why my relatives were surprised why I had these experiences in public and didn't understand why: it's so common that everyone experiences that. :rolleyes:

Perhaps a few members of the LGBT+ community feel a need to direct their anger at some other minority, and Aces are seen as a convenient target for passive-aggressiveness.

I don't have a problem not being apart of National Pride Month though as a heteromantic Ace. Our experiences are different than the LGBTQ just as they are different than heterosexuals. 

Divide By Zero

I've always thought that A also included aromantic and agender, in addition to asexual.

As someone who is aro I find that aromanticism is even less known and understood than asexuality.

I believe that there is a misunderstanding of "community". I see it as needing to support each other as much as overcoming discrimination. It very much isn't supporting to be dismissed or told it doesn't exist, which all LGBTQ+ people should be familiar with. If you want to create a persecution club, you're going to have a hard time deciding who doesn't count.

But there is a lot of debate and misunderstanding in LGBTQ+, especially from the outside. They think we have too many letters anyway, so it must be very confusing for them. I say we add a Y in there for good measure (I'm sure an identity can fit that).

Archived