vegetarian?

steve_asexual

Are you a vegetarian?  

1. 1.

• Yes I'm vegan.
    • Yes I'm vegetarian.
    • I'm semi-vegetarian (eats fish and poultry)
    • No I like meat.

This poll is closed to new votes

steve_asexual

I thought I would expand on Aeriel's how's your diet poll.

I have a theory that asexuals are genrally a more caring and gentle people and wondered if this was reflected in the views of eating meat etc.

Just a mad theoy but will be intresting to see the outcome.

I'm vegetarian (no meats,fish etc. but do eat eggs only freerange mind you!)

Adventuress Heart

Vegetarian here (I eat fish, dairy and eggs, no birds though)

I used to eat organic dairy and eggs from free range chickens, had some trouble locating it, by the end of this month I'm moving to an area where there is an organic store down the street, yay!!

I like meat. I could go vegetarian, and I often go extended periods without eating meat, but that's usually becasue I don't have the money to buy meat or the time to prepare it. Pastas and such are cheaper and quicker to prepare.

I'm lazy and will quote myself from this oldish vegetarian thread, which you are more than welcome to resurrect as well.

I've been a vegetarian for over half my life--since I was ten. I've never had negative health effects, and I've been both slightly overweight and underweight as a vegetarian. I'm aboutt the healthiest I've ever been right now; I walk and bike several miles daily and eat as much unprocessed food as I can.

Now, I'm a hardline vegetarian--I'm ovo-lacto and like it that way, but I have the line drawn I don't cross it. I don't wear leather, silk or pearls, or use or eat anything with even minute amounts of animal ingredients. I do my damnedest to avoid cheese with rennet. I've, uh, got this OCD thing. It works for me, anyway. (I know everyone eats n bugs a year, yadda yadda. Let it be.)

I'm not evangelical about vegetarianism. I dislike evangelists in general. I'd like people to eat less meat, but mostly I want people to be more conscious of where their food comes from--supporting local and organic foods rather than factory farms and agribusiness. I'd rather someone eat local organic free-range meats than be a vegetarian who lives on prepackaged soy products.

If it weren't for Pizza and one or two other minor "treats", I'd be a carnivore. I'm not exactly keen on how they care for the animals we eat in the USA, but that's why I prefer to eat meat that has been hunted as opposed to farmed.

JokeyFairbobbin

Currently eating meat and such, but I have a curious urge to go vegan. I'm not sure why, though- I don't believe in "Omg don't hurt the animals!" because really, humans didn't invent predation (though they did invent some farming practices I'm not fond of), I don't have any religious compulsions against meat, so... I'm switching as soon as I can find a good reason. :P

Until then, well- raised by health nuts, so I prefer organic/freerange/etc when I can afford it. Damn stuff is twice the cost of regular, but it's SO much better- ethically, healthwise, and quality.

I'm a reluctant omnivore. I can go a few days a week without meat, or only eat meat once a day, but I can't see myself going completely vegetarian. I plan to try and buy free range/cage-free/organic stuff once I'm responsible for my own food purchases.

I plan to try and buy free range/cage-free/organic stuff once I'm responsible for my own food purchases.

I already buy this stuff, which is why I'm terribly poor. It's just so expensive. :cry:

But every time I think about the free range chickens enjoying their little lives it makes me so happy that I no longer mind the holes in my socks and the leaks in the roof. :D

I'm a vegetarian, by the way.

Adventuress Heart
I plan to try and buy free range/cage-free/organic stuff once I'm responsible for my own food purchases.

I already buy this stuff, which is why I'm terribly poor. It's just so expensive. :cry:

But every time I think about the free range chickens enjoying their little lives it makes me so happy that I no longer mind the holes in my socks and the leaks in the roof. :D

I'm a vegetarian, by the way.

It is quite unfortunate that healthy foods are more expensive and letting animals have normal and happy lives makes them more pricey.

I don't know about Europe but here in Canada we're having more and more supermarkets supply organic foods, free range eggs and chickens. It's becoming quite popular especially at the gourmet supermarkets, the prices are also better.

The one down the street from here even sells organic makeup!

I heard in the United States there is another natural and organic chain supermarket popping up all over the place.

I was vegan for a while but my doctor kept insisting that I needed to eat meat to be healthy. So, mostly to prove her wrong, I started eating meat again. Within a week I felt physically terrible because of the effects it had on my body even though I was only eating a small amount.

I'm going back to veganism no matter what the doctor says.

Adventuress Heart
I was vegan for a while but my doctor kept insisting that I needed to eat meat to be healthy. So, mostly to prove her wrong, I started eating meat again. Within a week I felt physically terrible because of the effects it had on my body even though I was only eating a small amount.

I'm going back to veganism no matter what the doctor says.

I sort of have the same problem, meat actually makes me physically sick. I have to avoid foods with too many toxins, certain veggies, fruits and especially meat, thats another reason I stuck with being vegetarian and balancing my acid and alkaline intake.

I am in the middle of transitioning to semi-veg, as you put it. The last time I quit cold turkey so I thought I would try it the other way this time.

I first went veggie when I was 10, but everyone was pretty much against me and said I'd be unhealthy, etc., so I stopped. Then when I was 15 I gradually became a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and have been that way ever since.

I am in the middle of transitioning to semi-veg, as you put it. The last time I quit cold turkey so I thought I would try it the other way this time.

Try the fake meat, it's a great help. Plus it tastes very good.

I love meat! All the women in my life think I'm crazy because I'm female, yet such a steak lover. :P

I like my meat. Chicken, ham, beef, turkey... I even tried tonguewurst once. I work in a deli btw.

I am not, and probably never could be, vegetarian, much less vegan. Given my food likes/dislikes, I'd probably starve to death if I tried. While I'm all for the humane treatment of animals, I have no issue at all with them being used for food and clothing in particular. I also have no issues with hunting, so long as the hunter uses/eats the kill.

While I could never go entirely carniverous, I'd be much more inclined to go that way than the other.

While I don't have any statistics to back me up (or oppose me, for that matter), I'd also suspect asexuals to be no more or less caring/compassionate than anyone else, taken as a group. We're just people.

While I don't have any statistics to back me up (or oppose me, for that matter), I'd also suspect asexuals to be no more or less caring/compassionate than anyone else, taken as a group. We're just people.

Fair point, guess I was stereotyping. Glad you picked me up on this!! :oops:

I still live at home, so I kinda have to eat what's put in front of me - and that usually consists of meat and meat with a side of meat... Okay, it's not quite that bad, but my mum certainly believes in meat.

I don't think I'll ever go vegetarian, but when I move out I'm certainly going to try to eat less meat.

I'm a Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian... but one of the worse ones because I really don't like veggies! Main staples of my day-to-day diet include:

Mac n' Cheese, Mashed taters, Veggie chicken nuggets and if I'm feeling really wild, Spagehtti O's wit a cut-up veggie dog and a sprig of parsley.

It's sad i know.

Mac n' Cheese, Mashed taters, Veggie chicken nuggets and if I'm feeling really wild, Spagehtti O's wit a cut-up veggie dog and a sprig of parsley.

It's sad i know.

No, I don't think it is. Not everybody eats like the cliché vegetarian - a ton of salad every day and that's it. I know I don't. For me, it would take the fun out of life.

If it weren't for Pizza and one or two other minor "treats", I'd be a carnivore. I'm not exactly keen on how they care for the animals we eat in the USA, but that's why I prefer to eat meat that has been hunted as opposed to farmed.

Same.

I'm an omnivore.

The only things I categorically avoid eating are refined carbs like white flour and sugar. (I will make exceptions when I'm away from home but that's pretty rare.)

I eat a lot of veggies and fruit as well as poultry and fish. Currently I am eating a lot of organic apples since they happen to be ripe and my tree is totally overloaded with them.

I have my own free-range, organically raised chickens, turkeys and geese. I will eat them from time to time if I get a surplus, but mostly I just eat the egs. I haven't eaten any of my geese though, or a goose egg. Those eggs are SO huge that I wouldn't know quite know what to do with them and I dread the thought of plucking a goose. I'd rather just find homes for them, even if it means a finacial loss.

-Greybird

How come there's no place to vote for semi-carnivore?

I eat pretty much anything on a standard menu, less often steaks because of past dental problems.

I also kind of lean towards the idea a couple of close friends have of not eating other mammals. Which means all lizard descendants better watch out! :twisted:

Archived