What is cream cheese?

RoseGoesToYale

What is cream cheese?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How would you classify cream cheese?

• Cheese that is especially soft, but spreadable
    • Cream that is especially hard, but spreadable

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

Never could figure this one out. I always thought of it as cream, not so much cheese. It doesn't even taste like cheese imo. What does everyone here think?

Scottthespy

I consider it a cheese, because there are many soft cheeses and it has the saltiness of a cheese. Cream always struck me as a sweet flavor, even when it isn't sweetened. Cheese has been transformed into savory, I'm not a fan of sweet cheeses, so the cream cheese is a creamy cheese for me, simply because it's savory.

Dreamsexual

Alejandrogynous
10 hours ago, Scottthespy said:

so the cream cheese is a creamy cheese for me, simply because it's savory.

Interesting, I always think of cream cheese as being quite sweet. I still consider it a cheese though.

:) I feel like the answer to your poll is "both," because cream cheese comes in two, different kinds: whipped (which is lighter and has more air whipped into it) and regular (which is a little harder).

I'd imagine that, since "whipped cream" is already taken (i.e. the sweetened, dessert topping for ice cream, cakes, etc.), that that's why it has to be called "cream cheese" (To help others not mistake it for the sweet, dessert version; although, cream cheese is sometimes also included in dessert recipes).

everywhere and nowhere

When I was a child - at least here in Poland - cheese was divided just into "white cheese" (cream cheese and ordinary cottage cheese falls into this category) and "yellow cheese". To some extent it's still useful to me. More precisely, I can't eat some kinds of cheese - I don't what is that dangerous ingredient, but four times "exotic cheese" caused an anaphylactic reaction in me. 😮 So now I just stay away from such cheese. And the kinds I definitely can eat are cottage cheese (although, I don't like "white cheese" that much. Still, sometimes a bit of cottage cheese with salt and radish can be fine), mozzarella and... well, here I use this name: "ordinary yellow cheese". ;) Stuff like ementaler, cheddar, gouda and - of the less known - low-fat cheese with the stupid name "Hit" (or, more precisely, "Hit z Ryk" - Ryki is a town in Poland which produces several kinds of cheese) which is very good for casseroles (for example pasta with tomatoes and zucchini, eggplant or soy sausage) because it melts nicely - some kinds of cheese become hard-ish or rubbery when baked. I also use it instead of parmesan (which I consider too risky, given my allergy) on risotto.

1 hour ago, Nowhere Girl said:

When I was a child - at least here in Poland - cheese was divided just into "white cheese" (cream cheese and ordinary cottage cheese falls into this category) and "yellow cheese"...low-fat cheese with the stupid name "Hit" (or, more precisely, "Hit z Ryk" - Ryki is a town in Poland which produces several kinds of cheese) which is very good for casseroles (for example pasta with tomatoes and zucchini, eggplant or soy sausage) because it melts nicely - some kinds of cheese become hard-ish or rubbery when baked. I also use it instead of parmesan (which I consider too risky, given my allergy) on risotto.

:) That's interesting about the "white cheese" and "yellow cheese."

Now, I'm craving a casserole with tomatoes, zucchini and eggplant. :P And risotto (which, I don't think I've ever had).

everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

And risotto (which, I don't think I've ever had).

I have a few recipes of my own. Risottoes I prepare regularly are: broccoli risotto (possible all year long), mushrooms and zucchini risotto (possible all year long, with dried mushrooms - although, an early fall variant with fresh chanterelles is particularly great) and orange tomatoes and carrot risotto (possible only approximately from late May to October, when orange tomatoes are available*). I would gladly make a red and a yellow version of this dish, but unfortunately, non-orange carrot is extremely hard to buy in Poland. :(

I make my risotto with vegetable stock (and the carrot and tomatoes one - with only water, herbal salt, pepper and a bit of sugar. And lots of dill, added at the end!), without any wine because I hate alcohol anyway.

*Red tomatoes are available slightly longer, but anyway... Approximately from November until April I only use tomato passata and canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. Winter tomatoes are:

- expensive,

- tasteless,

- and very hard to peel...

On 6/9/2019 at 12:19 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

cheese was divided just into "white cheese" (cream cheese and ordinary cottage cheese falls into this category) and "yellow cheese". 

I learned this division too, and I use it. Is it not common? 

I didn't answer this poll because neither answer seems exclusive to cream cheese to me. There are other spreadable cheeses (such as soft goat cheese, which I love) that really don’t seem like cream cheese to me. Opinions?

everywhere and nowhere

By the way, I hate processed cheese. It would be good for cheese soup (the cheese I can eat safely isn't, it only changes texture under the influence of heat, but doesn't fully melt), but I just can't stand its smell.

A cop out 

• 3 weeks later...

Kind sad there option for disgusting 

• 1 year later...

@RoseGoesToYale

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived