Why is "number of orgasms per week" considered a health thing for women?

i'mjustme

So, as an ace, I don't really understand why my period tracker and health app want to know the average number of orgasms per week? Is that a health thing? Like, if you're having orgasms regularly, does that mean you're most likely healthy? I'm a bit confused. 

Dreamsexual

So first I did some Googling to see if the female orgasm in particular was especially important, and the results suggested more that it was sex that had a correlation with good health, rather than orgasms. I figured I was looking for the wrong angle, so I went and searched up period tracker apps with relation to orgasms, and I came across an article about this one tracker called Glow that probably explains it. From the article:

"Every day, Glow wants to know as much about you as you have time to answer.... Why? Because data. Data, data, data, data, the vague and all-powerful buzzword at the core of Levchin’s—and quite a few other startups’—ultimate goals. In the short run, the more information that Glow collects about women’s menstrual cycles and sex lives, the more precisely it can predict when people should try to have a kid. With enough data, though, HVF hopes to make much larger predictions about people’s health, nutrition, relationships, and reproductive outcomes."

So, as per usual with apps, it's probably just about knowing everything about people. And maybe selling that data, who knows. 

Disclaimer: This was 10 minutes of Googling. I dunno. 

I've never heard of it being a health thing as such, this may be a bit TMI but as a woman I orgasm very infrequently (perhaps once every few months if that) yet my health is in good shape so far as I know

Hmmm. It could be just trying to help you track data to see if you can pick up on patterns of health

For example, if on months you (general you) orgasm a lot, you tend to get yeast infections, that could be correlated (I'm just bullshitting off the top of my head, no idea if those things are connected). Or maybe on months you orgasm a lot, you have a smoother period. Or maybe on months you orgasm less, you have a smoother period. Or maybe high orgasms = less mood swings or more mood swings...

I'd really just guess that it's trying to help you track if orgasm amount at all effects anything about your cycle. I doubt it's saying you need to have a certain amount of orgasms to be healthy, it's just helping you find patterns that effect your body.

3 minutes ago, Puck said:

I'd really just guess that it's trying to help you track if orgasm amount at all effects anything about your cycle. I doubt it's saying you need to have a certain amount of orgasms to be healthy, it's just helping you find patterns that effect your body.

Now that you mention that it could be a hormonal thing, some women orgasm more around the time of their period due to the fact that their hormones are affected, from what I remember anyway, so that could be a possible explaination.

Or like Grimalkin said, it could be just to collect more data, I have no idea!

Skycaptain

I'd say the best option there is to ditch that "tracker" and find another. It's asking for intrusive personal information which has no usage relating to the function of the app. You'll probably find that the app is sponsored by retailers of sex toys, birth control methods, condoms etc. The bottom line is they're looking to make money from you 

That app is  not a health authority, it's just an app.  

1 hour ago, i'mjustme said:

I don't really understand why my period tracker and health app want to know the average number of orgasms per week? Is that a health thing?

I work in Womens' health, and although I don't (and never will) know everything - that sounds a bit silly to me...

This post just reminded me I need to download flow again lol.

It just has to do with prediction in some app cases as well as give tips and information. 

RoseGoesToYale

I mean, it's pretty subjective. It's like when they say "A glass of wine a day is healthy for you." If you have alcoholism running in your family, alcohol intolerance, a liver condition, a grape allergy, you get drunk too fast, or you just plain can't stand wine, then the correct number of glasses a day may be 0. So it really doesn't make sense for it to be asking that... honestly, sounds kinda guilt-trippy, like they want you to feel bad if your orgasm count isn't high enough.

I'd say the best option there is to ditch that "tracker" and find another. It's asking for intrusive personal information which has no usage relating to the function of the app.

This.

My partner uses Clue.  No idea of how good it is, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't ask for that information, and my partner seems to support it otherwise I dunno why they'd keep using it.

The tracker I use has “optional additional data”, where you can add in extra stats for it to predict more things, but if you don’t want to say you don’t have to. This ranges from when you have sex, to moods, to medication, and even general symptoms (e.g. spotting or bad cramps). It’s just for hormones and general health (can’t orgasm as much if you’ve got an infection) so it can predict how those things might affect periods. If it’s outright asking you to fill it in, then I’d recommend a better app.

verymelancholic

Orgasms now equate to health? That's new.

I wouldn't be surprised if there do turn out to be correlations between sexual function and overall health for women, since dysfunctions in that area can be a signal of other problems for men.

MiraMeyneth

Going off of that, then by that logic I'm the unhealthiest person on earth. I could masturbate, or i could go and play a game for more enjoyment in less time, with less mess. 

2 hours ago, Ardoise said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there do turn out to be correlations between sexual function and overall health for women, since dysfunctions in that area can be a signal of other problems for men.

Orgasms or lack of them are not "dysfunctions."   

mine will ask about symptoms but I have not seen it ask about orgasms and it's supposed to help track fertility 

All of this is silly, since it stems from irrelevent app.  

Lack of sex means bad health? Guess I need to see a doc, then.

/s

KoiFishShoes
On 6/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, Philip027 said:

This.

My partner uses Clue.  No idea of how good it is, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't ask for that information, and my partner seems to support it otherwise I dunno why they'd keep using it.

You're right, Clue doesn't ask for this, although I suppose I could manually add it under tags if I wanted to. I love Clue.

Archived