Guardian newspaper on demisexual pride cups

Dreamsexual

Dreamsexual

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, verymelancholic said:

Because it's The Guardian, not Associated Press.

verymelancholic
5 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

Just another reason for me to avoid this paper, not that I hardly read any anyway ...  But isn't it 'interesting' that I was searching Google for pride month stuff, this article came up as an early hit - I saw 'demisexual' and thought, oh, that's interesting ... then read it and felt 'ugh'.

It's almost as if the writer's not asexual or acespec....

Anthracite_Impreza

It's called kicking down, I've seen it about OS many times ("If we accept man-man love we have to accept man-toaster love" "Don't be stupid, they're mentally unwell, not like us gays").

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

It's called kicking down, I've seen it about OS many times ("If we accept man-man love we have to accept man-toaster love" "Don't be stupid, they're mentally unwell, not like us gays").

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, verymelancholic said:

It's almost as if the writer's not asexual or acespec....

wirewalker

So I read the article and facepalmed. Then I did the stupid thing and read the comments...a majority of which are supportive of asexuality and its related sexualities. The comments* are better than the article, you guys. I feel better.

*except the one exclusionist, but whatever.

This is just what I was afraid of when i first heard about the ace space. 

nineGardens

Okay, so I get the frustration.... but I kind of get the feeling that the author was more frustrated by the cynism of Budweisers marketing strategy.

Less focused on giving crap to Aces, and more on the "Dude, if people feel unsafe, having a random beer brand with coloured mugs ain't going to HELP that problem".

Is this fair? Or at least a possible interpretation?

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, nineGardens said:

but I kind of get the feeling that the author was more frustrated by the cynism of Budweisers marketing strategy.

nineGardens
Just now, Dreamsexual said:

Which is my response was mostly 'not impressed' and 'ugh' rather than something more animated

Dis fair.

Anthracite_Impreza

Nah, I definitely read it as "This acceptance is going too far!!" *backs away slowly in mecha*

Custard Cream

I read it as intolerance and elitism, and was very disappointed.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

*backs away slowly in mecha*

Captain Jay

Whenever I see a "promotion" like this, the first thing that comes to mind is that the companies are trying to show how they're keeping up with the times. Thing is, it usually comes off more as "Look at how woke and inclusive we are! (holds out rainbow-striped hat upside down) Surely this deserves a few dollars!"

Granted, given that bad PR tends to spread very quickly these days, they might just be attempting to play it safe.

Also, as mentioned in that editorial, it is kind of amusing that a beer brewer is suddenly trying to appear enlightened. Then again, people have leveled the same charge at shaving supply company Gillette. Twice, even.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, Captain Jay said:

Look at how woke and inclusive we are!

RoseGoesToYale

What gets me is when companies bandwagon onto social movements while doing nothing to actually further them. It's like, ok, you support LGBT by putting colors on your merchandise? Which you solely profit off of? How about donating part of those proceeds to anti-bullying and suicide prevention for LGBT youth? How about partnering up with charities and providing information resources?

The asexual and demisexual Budweiser cups just make me laugh, because in my four years here, I can't tell you how many members here don't even drink. :lol:

All of you here should maybe take a look in this thread 

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Dreamsexual said:

You don't get to hide, lol ...

It's my cars, their exhausts keep giving me away.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

What gets me is when companies bandwagon onto social movements while doing nothing to actually further them. It's like, ok, you support LGBT by putting colors on your merchandise? Which you solely profit off of? How about donating part of those proceeds to anti-bullying and suicide prevention for LGBT youth? How about partnering up with charities and providing information resources?

The asexual and demisexual Budweiser cups just make me laugh, because in my four years here, I can't tell you how many members here don't even drink. :lol:

1 hour ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I can't tell you how many members here don't even drink. :lol:

This is immediately what I thought of too 😆. I think Budweiser missed their audience a little bit.

bare_trees

"Perhaps I am overlooking the widespread persecution of demi-sexuals and grey-asexuals in society. Perhaps, having been validated by a multinational beer brand, an oppressed grey-asexual will now be able to hold hands with another grey-asexual on the street without worrying about being called a graggot, gryke or whatever slur it is that people use against grey-asexuals."

This is really rich coming from a lesbian, who should be able to understand.  But instead it's like she turns oppression into a competitive sport.  And she obviously don't understand what it's like to try to figure out where one's fits into this ace/sexual spectrum and how there are plenty of bigots out there who think grey and non-sexual people just don't exist or are mentally ill.

I’ve been told I’m talking shit and I’ve even fought over it 😂 fuck them.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:31 AM, bare_trees said:

graggot, gryke

I very quickly skimmed the article and wow... the elitism is strong in that one! Although I'm not 100% convinced by companies using pride as a means to gain more money as it is, and don't really want to get into that right now, you'd think that someone from the LGBT+ community would at least support other members within that community rather than acting as if it is all some kind of competition.

Asexuality isn't any less valid than any other sexuality, although you probably hear less about it, so acting as if it is below all other sexualities, or in particular homosexuality or bisexuality is just disrespectful and a bit hurtful really!

This article (despite having a valid point in that way too many corporations are prone to unleashing these "look at how accepting we are!  now give us more of your money" platitudes upon us) pretty much demonstrates that being LGBT, a group known for facing scorn and ridicule for being the way they are, isn't immune from dishing out scorn and ridicule to others for being the way they are.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:14 PM, Telecaster68 said:

Is this one of the quotes from the piece people are objecting to?

Could someone actually list actual persecution and oppression of demis and greys though (persecution, rather than feeling a bit awkward in sex conversations, that is)?

Prufrock, but like, worse
32 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Could someone actually list actual persecution and oppression of demis and greys though (persecution, rather than feeling a bit awkward in sex conversations, that is)?

You don't need to be actively persecuted for representation to be valuable. Though this isn't really representation in any meaningful sense.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, Telecaster68 said:

But Pride is borne out o

Archived