TV shows no one else seems to know

ben8884

SorryNotSorry

Not a show per se, but there was this one cartoon character I remember but can't find any trace of no matter how hard I search. This character was a boyish yellow duckling with an impish personality, and he wore a sailor's hat. He'd usually come walking along and find something another character had done which was a lousy attempt at a booby trap, and then this duckling would look at the camera and utter the most insane laugh ever. But he never said a single word.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:09 AM, verymelancholic said:

Seinfeld. In here it's virtually unknown.

And rightfully so, if I may say. It's about as funny as watching paint dry.

That being said - Becker. It's about a mean doctor and his social circle, to avoid the term "friends". He isn't House MD mean, just a choleric asshole who likes to yell at people :D

8 hours ago, Homer said:
On 6/7/2019 at 2:09 AM, verymelancholic said:

That being said - Becker. It's about a mean doctor and his social circle, to avoid the term "friends". He isn't House MD mean, just a choleric asshole who likes to yell at people :D

Becker is the sourest character I've ever come across. And genuinely funny.

I never understood the popularity of Seinfeld, Friends, or How I Met Your Mother - none of them are funny. If you took the laugh tracks away from all those shows, there'd be nothing but dead silence after the "jokes".

10 hours ago, CallaWolf said:

There's two shows that I absolutely loved that nobody ever seemed to to have heard of, let alone seen: Chuck and Millennium

With Chuck, it has a premise that some people tend to look at and then turn their snooty nose up at it. I loved it though. It's about a guy who works for what's essentially the Best Buy Geek Squad who gets an encrypted e-mail from his former college rival that contains most of the governments secrets. As soon as he opens the e-mail it installs all the information onto his brain (kinda like brainwashing) and he becomes a walking database of secrets and needs a CIA agent and an FBI agent to protect him until they can somehow get the information back from him. It's comedy, but one of those that is NOT a sitcom. It was an awesome show, but people have either not heard of it, or decided to not watch it because they think it's too "out-there"

When it comes to Millennium, I'm surprised that plenty of people havn't heard of this show. It was made by the same people who made (and set in the same world as) The X-Files. It's about a retired FBI profiler who joins a consulting group that contracts with the FBI to solve gruesome murders that have very little evidence to go on. The main character has a slight paranormal touch as he can occasionally see through the killers eyes as they're committing the crime while he's investigating (essentially, the show implies that he has a slight psychic gift, despite the creators saying otherwise). The show was extremely dark, and much like it's counterpart, pushed the boundaries of what non-cable television could show.

Chuck was a great show! The characters were all spot on and well written/acted. Best of all, Chuck had a Dune poster hanging in his room. :wub:

Millennium, while well written, just didn't have the same staying power the X-Files did, nor the following. Same with the other X-Files spin-off, The Lone Gunmen (seriously goofy show).

8 hours ago, Homer said:
On 6/7/2019 at 1:09 AM, verymelancholic said:

Well, Seinfeld was a show about nothing. They said so. :P 

I used to watch Becker back in the day, but it got kind of stale in my opinion. There wasn't anyone I really cared about and the jokes seemed repetitive. I suppose the same could be said for many shows, including some I liked for a while.

13 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

I never understood the popularity of Seinfeld, Friends, or How I Met Your Mother - none of them are funny.

I really liked Friends back then and I'm not ashamed to admit that I have a DVD box set! HIMYM is just a piss poor copy.

Lexx, weird scifi with lots of sexual innuendo

Hornblower, no sexual innuendo (felt i had to say it because of the name...) based on books that inspired star trek :)

Horatio Hornblower was the title character of a popular series of novels and stories about the adventures of a 19th century officer in the Royal Navy

Gene Roddenberry's original pitch for Star Trek described the ship's proposed hero (Robert April) as a "space-age Captain Horatio Hornblower"

Dreamsexual

I have recently watched the new BBC show Ghosts and really enjoyed that, I'm told by family that it has the old Horrible Histories and Yonderland casts but I havent seen either of those so may be something to check out at some point

Celyn: The Lutening
13 hours ago, CallaWolf said:

The main character has a slight paranormal touch as he can occasionally see through the killers eyes as they're committing the crime while he's investigating (essentially, the show implies that he has a slight psychic gift, despite the creators saying otherwise).

That premise sounds exactly like Wire in the Blood. Apparently it wasn't a psychic thing, he was just really good at visualising the killers actions based on clues.

What about another detective show, Wallander? It's so depressing, I love it.

verymelancholic

Does anyone else here watch the US Shameless?

Not strictly a TV show, but I have fond childhood memories of the webtoon Homestar Runner

verymelancholic

My So-Called Life?

I really loved Babylon 5- best sci-fi show on TV. Does anyone remember Get Smart? That was fun. I also remember one season of a show I think with Bill Bixby called The Magician, that deserved a longer run. I loved his white Corvette!

Just now, Mocha Jo said:

I really loved Babylon 5- best sci-fi show on TV. Does anyone remember Get Smart? That was fun. I also remember one season of a show I think with Bill Bixby called The Magician, that deserved a longer run. I loved his white Corvette!

Get Smart, of course! Great show; I watched it back in the day (well, probably reruns, since I was probably a bit young for it when it originally aired) and have it on DVD, too.

Yes! I remember (vaguely) The Magician starring Bill Bixby. I think the Magic Castle also featured in it. I loved stage magic and thought the show was good, weaving stage magic into a sort of detective show (memory is fuzzy on that).

Gentle Giant

Friday the 13th: The Series. This show was not related to the Friday the 13th movies. It had 2 young people named Micki and Ryan and an older man named Jack who would be trying to find cursed antique objects and put them in a vault to keep them from causing harm.

3 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Does anyone remember Get Smart? That was fun. 

3 hours ago, daveb said:

Get Smart, of course! Great show; I watched it back in the day (well, probably reruns, since I was probably a bit young for it when it originally aired) and have it on DVD, too.

"Sorry about that, Chief." Unfortunately, having been born in '79, "would you believe" that "I missed it by THIS much"?  ;)  (Saw plenty of re-runs, though.)

2 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Friday the 13th: The Series. This show was not related to the Friday the 13th movies. It had 2 young people named Micki and Ryan and an older man named Jack who would be trying to find cursed antique objects and put them in a vault to keep them from causing harm.

I'm desperate to see that released on DVD! Even if it doesn't hold up, I remember it being fun.

@robnrdbrd Friday the 13th: The Series has been out on DVD, though I don't know if it's still available... Well, by golly , what do you know? 

https://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Complete-John-LeMay/dp/B01HPGE9LC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2MM1S10JBE7MG&keywords=friday+the+13th+the+series&qid=1560486018&s=movies-tv&sprefix=Friday+%2Caps%2C200&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2FVDFP7QLH62R

@Gentle Giant Great show, though the last season kinda went off the rails.

Warehouse 13 is like the hybrid child of Friday the 13th: The Series and The X-Files ...

Galavant and Being Human, the UK version! I have no idea how popular these series were in their own countries, but back here no one has heard of these.

I will never ever get over the fact that Galavant was cancelled after only two seasons. It was so much fun, and the songs were (mostly) great, especially in the second season. Those of you unfamiliar with this series, it's a musical comedy set in a medieval fantasy world. The story begins when Galavant sets out to save his love Madalena, who has been kidnapped by the evil yet goofy king Richard. My favourite songs are Secret Mission, My Dragon Pal and Me, I Don't Like You and If I Were a Jolly Blacksmith. It is such an absurd show and so much fun!

Being Human has a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost living as roommates. It's great. I cried, I laughed, and most importantly, it introduced me to Aidan Turner - bless him and his beautiful, beautiful face 👏

Also, kudos for the great Vanity Fair adaptation of 1998, which doesn't get the love it deserves.

7 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Woo! Thanks for sharing that!  Surprisingly great price, too ... 

Gentle Giant

@fuzzipueo and @robnrdbrd I would like to see Friday the 13th The Series again. That is not a bad price for the complete series. I looked it up and I can get the series on DVD through my library. So I will probably watch it that way. I remember the last season not being as good and an actor being replaced.

1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

@fuzzipueo and @robnrdbrd I would like to see Friday the 13th The Series again. That is not a bad price for the complete series. I looked it up and I can get the series on DVD through my library. So I will probably watch it that way. I remember the last season not being as good and an actor being replaced.

Yeah, I lost track, but some how Ryan got aged into a younger version of himself and another cousin shows up to take his place on the team, as it were - never quite got the full story about that since, as I remember, the TV station kept jerking around with the schedule at that point.

Other old school 90s shows not mentioned yet: Highlander* ("There can only be one. Let it be Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod!") & Forever Knight (doing the broody vampire thing well before Angel and Buffy graced our screens).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Spinoff from the Highlander movie franchise. Duncan is Connor McLeod's 'cousin'.

I remember this mini series being good and not until MANY years later that I'd been watching a young Christoph Waltz! 

On 6/14/2019 at 11:00 AM, fuzzipueo said:

Other old school 90s shows not mentioned yet: Highlander* ("There can only be one. Let it be Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod!") & Forever Knight (doing the broody vampire thing well before Angel and Buffy graced our screens).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Spinoff from the Highlander movie franchise. Duncan is Connor McLeod's 'cousin'.

Oh yes, I forgot about Highlander! I loved that one- I wish someone would re-run it.

On 6/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, Urishir said:

Lexx, weird scifi with lots of sexual innuendo

Hornblower, no sexual innuendo (felt i had to say it because of the name...) based on books that inspired star trek :)

Horatio Hornblower was the title character of a popular series of novels and stories about the adventures of a 19th century officer in the Royal Navy

Gene Roddenberry's original pitch for Star Trek described the ship's proposed hero (Robert April) as a "space-age Captain Horatio Hornblower"

Lexx was really fun and weird, I enjoyed it a lot

Also "Fourtysomething" or Dr.Slippery? Probably not so unnkown for you UK folks, came across it a couple of years ago.

Starring Doctor House (Hugh Laurie) as a Doctor, the twelvth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) as a Doctor, Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) as the Doctors kid ... And I don't really like hospital shows. This was great though.

and I watched all the episodes of "Farscape", which was a funny sci-fi from the Jim Henson Studios. 

And because I enjoy sci-fi, also

Humans

Dark Matter

The Expanse

(Cowboy Bebop and Dark Mirror are probably as well known as Red Dwarf)

Aria Ravenclaw
On 6/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, fuzzipueo said:

There was a time when you couldn't get away from Cheers, no matter where you were - Where everyone knows your name ... I actually prefer the spin-off series, Frasier, set in Seattle.

I freaking love Cheers :) I'm on the 11th season and after I'm going to watch Frasier. 

Archived