TV shows no one else seems to know

ben8884

3 hours ago, Auld_Mulk said:

This one is super old. 

Hilarious House of Frightenstein

So crazy to think that they not only pitched but got such creepy characters on TV as a KID'S show! 

I remember re-runs of it as a kid and the librarian and yogi, especially, giving me the willies. The 'super man' was just plain weird.

37 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

-The Littlest Hobo, from the 80s, a homeless german shepherd wanders around Canada helping people (def ace-friendly)...

Close friends agree that it's basically my theme song too!  (I always thought because "London" was in the credits that it was just one dog, but I think there were two and they came from the same breeder/owner who provided the dogs for the earlier American series... this was a re-boot, if I'm not mistaken.)

Any of the Canadians watch The Odyssey?  If not, a kid goes into a coma and the alternate reality he experiences only features kids and, if I remember, there are no or just a few teens ... unfortunately, season 3 turned into a lame teen drama.  Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) makes an appearance twice, as does Will Sasso, Sarah Chalke, ... and not to mention, Ryan Reynolds too!

Corner Gas is an amusing Canadian comedy.

Someone mentioned Slings & Arrows. Great fun! Due South is another one (free on YouTube!).

Blackadder, Are You Being Served?, May to December, Bob and Rose, Waiting for God ...

Asterion Orestes

I was a Babylon 5 fan of sorts while it ran, ending (more or less as planned) 21 years ago. Might've kept up with the sequel if it hadn't failed. 

4 hours ago, disGraceful said:

That was such a great show, i loved it and the characters had such great development it is such a waste that they cancelled it.

Mine would be  Due South  a programme about a Mountie who goes to Chicago to find the killers of his father and ends up teaming up with a cop. Loved it so much. It aided my obsession with Canada

Also  Eternal Law  a show about some Angels placed on earth to defend clients in court, the opposition were Demons, set in York and a lot around their stunning cathedral so it was a stunning show visually. Loved it but sadly ITV cancelled it after a season.

I doubt a single soul has heard of Code lyoko or Cheers. 

Kyle XY, Charmed, Desperate Housewives, Merlin, Stargate Atlantis, Allo Allo, My family, Bones, Chuck, Dead to me, My babysitter is a vampire, Greys Anatomy and Grimm. Honestly I can never have a chat with anyone cause its either Game of Thrones or Family guy stuff. 

I have five seasons of Babylon 5 and now ya'll have made me curious about it XD 

Dreamsexual

I

Yui-Drakon
9 hours ago, CBC said:

Anyone remember Bob and Margaret? It was a Canada/UK coproduction that aired from 1998 to 2001.

Watched a dubbed version of that when I was younger.

5 hours ago, ColeHW said:

I doubt a single soul has heard of Code lyoko or Cheers. 

I once saw the name Code Lyoko before, and only read about it. Would you recommend?

1 hour ago, Yui-Drakon said:

I once saw the name Code Lyoko before, and only read about it. Would you recommend?

It’s pretty good although the backstory is creepy. 

7 hours ago, ColeHW said:

I doubt a single soul has heard of Code lyoko or Cheers

There was a time when you couldn't get away from Cheers, no matter where you were - Where everyone knows your name ... I actually prefer the spin-off series, Frasier, set in Seattle.

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

There was a time when you couldn't get away from Cheers, no matter where you were - Where everyone knows your name ... I actually prefer the spin-off series, Frasier, set in Seattle.

Frasier was brilliant! They set it in Seattle, as far away as it is possible to get from Boston (where Cheers was set) to reduce the temptation to have Frasier being visited regularly by Cheers characters.

verymelancholic
3 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Frasier was brilliant! They set it in Seattle, as far away as it is possible to get from Boston (where Cheers was set) to reduce the temptation to have Frasier being visited regularly by Cheers characters.

Frasier is still much better than Cheers. The humour and writing was also a lot better.

Grumpy Alien

Wait there are people who don’t know Cheers? But... what?

Also, Frasier is way better.

Not many people where I live know of The Prisoner.

Also not many people I've talked to know of David the Gnome, or Histeria! or The Elephant Show. Those seem to the best first few that come to mind.

44 minutes ago, Goonie said:

The Prisoner

Starring Patrick McGoohan? Used to watch it back in the day.

And Secret Agent Man before that.

4 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yes. I think it might be a regional thing more than anything else. I ended up ordering a boxed set when I could do online orders. The local book and movie store at the time couldn't get it in either

1 minute ago, Goonie said:

Yes. I think it might be a regional thing more than anything else. I ended up ordering a boxed set when I could do online orders. The local book and movie store at the time couldn't get it in either

My dad was into those 2 shows and watched them on regular tv when they were airing back then. Along with other shows such as The Avengers (not the Marvel stuff, but the 60s British tv show) and The Saint (Roger Moore show).

1 hour ago, Goonie said:

Not many people where I live know of The Prisoner.

Also not many people I've talked to know of David the Gnome, or Histeria! or The Elephant Show. Those seem to the best first few that come to mind.

Histeria! was awesome. It did for history what The Animaniacs did for cartoon humor in the 90s. Made by the same people too. It just didn't get the ratings. sigh.

Saturday morning TV included The ABC Saturday Special, usually book to TV adaptations. Those were fun.

On early Nickelodeon, we got The Electric Company, which is why I have a big time soft spot for Morgan Freeman. Also, they had The Third Eye, another anthology show. Anyone here ever see The Haunting of Cassie Palmer? Took me years to find the actual book.

wirewalker

I Love Lucy. So few people seem to know that show, but I really love it. And the original Muppet Show. I love the Muppets.

verymelancholic

Seinfeld. In here it's virtually unknown.

8 hours ago, daveb said:

I've heard of Dangerman, starring Patrick McG, in which he played the same character who became the Prisoner (when he decided to retire but wasn't allowed to do so in freedom). Was Secret Agent Man how it was known in the US?

2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I've heard of Dangerman, starring Patrick McG, in which he played the same character who became the Prisoner (when he decided to retire but wasn't allowed to do so in freedom). Was Secret Agent Man how it was known in the US?

According to Wikipedia, the actual name here in the States is Secret Agent (the song written for the show is Secret Agent Man).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Agent_Man

3 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:
6 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

According to Wikipedia, the actual name here in the States is Secret Agent (the song written for the show is Secret Agent Man).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Agent_Man

I just learned this (that the UK original title was Danger Man and in the US it was retitled to Secret Agent (without Man)). I recalled the series name incorrectly because of the strong connection the the song "Secret Agent Man" (used in the US version of the series opening credits/title sequence) in my faded memory. :) 

Also just learned Patrick McGoohan was born in New York. I always thought he was from the UK, but the interwebs says he was Irish-American.

He was also on several episodes of Columbo.

Rockblossom
6 hours ago, daveb said:

I just learned this (that the UK original title was Danger Man and in the US it was retitled to Secret Agent (without Man)). I recalled the series name incorrectly because of the strong connection the the song "Secret Agent Man" (used in the US version of the series opening credits/title sequence) in my faded memory. :) 

For anyone in the USA who uses a Roku streaming device, there is a free channel called tubi that has both  Secret Agent and The Prisoner series available for streaming free.

Danger Man ran on TV around the same time that the original James Bond films were in theaters.  A lot of fans wanted McGoohan to be cast as the next James Bond, but he was not a fan.  (He was known to use some salty language when anyone even mentioned the Bond series.)  After Danger Man, McGoohan pitched his own idea for a new series, which became The Prisoner. You might notice that in The Village there is no No 7, nor is there a 7 anywhere at all until the last few episodes.  The Village was curiously devoid of any numbers that contained 7.  It was not by accident.

There's two shows that I absolutely loved that nobody ever seemed to to have heard of, let alone seen: Chuck and Millennium

With Chuck, it has a premise that some people tend to look at and then turn their snooty nose up at it. I loved it though. It's about a guy who works for what's essentially the Best Buy Geek Squad who gets an encrypted e-mail from his former college rival that contains most of the governments secrets. As soon as he opens the e-mail it installs all the information onto his brain (kinda like brainwashing) and he becomes a walking database of secrets and needs a CIA agent and an FBI agent to protect him until they can somehow get the information back from him. It's comedy, but one of those that is NOT a sitcom. It was an awesome show, but people have either not heard of it, or decided to not watch it because they think it's too "out-there"

When it comes to Millennium, I'm surprised that plenty of people havn't heard of this show. It was made by the same people who made (and set in the same world as) The X-Files. It's about a retired FBI profiler who joins a consulting group that contracts with the FBI to solve gruesome murders that have very little evidence to go on. The main character has a slight paranormal touch as he can occasionally see through the killers eyes as they're committing the crime while he's investigating (essentially, the show implies that he has a slight psychic gift, despite the creators saying otherwise). The show was extremely dark, and much like it's counterpart, pushed the boundaries of what non-cable television could show.

Archived