ben8884

Aria Ravenclaw
On 6/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, verymelancholic said:

My So-Called Life?

Oooh I liked that one too :D 

Crazy Cat Lady
On 6/11/2019 at 6:42 AM, verymelancholic said:

My So-Called Life?

Oooh, loved that one! Had forgotten about it!

Crazy Cat Lady
On 6/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, CBC said:

Anyone remember Bob and Margaret? It was a Canada/UK coproduction that aired from 1998 to 2001.

I quiteliked "Bob and Margaret", too!

Crazy Cat Lady
On 6/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

The Littlest Hobo, from the 80s, a homeless german shepherd wanders around Canada helping people

This was a Canadian show! Loved it when I was a kid. I've been getting all nostalgic about it lately, as just the past week or so, there has been a Co-Op ad airing using "The Littlest Hobo" theme song!

There was some canadian crime series for 2 seasons, i loved it but cant remember its name.

Googling helped with the name Intelligence, also heres some juicy rumours about its cancellation, from wikipedia

There were various rumors surrounding the cancellation of the series. Kevin Baker from the National Post alleged:[1]</ref>[2][3]

There's a theory afloat that CBC Television cancelled the unusually good drama Intelligence in fear of upsetting Canada's New Government, which is thought to be slavering for an excuse to junk the nation's public broadcaster and sell off the parts. According to this theory, expounded in the Toronto Star, one story arc of Intelligence showed secret dealings to sell Canadian water to the United States in an unfavourable light. Thus, the plot implicitly criticized the government's secret dealings, under cover of the North American Security and Prosperity Partnership. Loopy? Bonkers? Stark raving? Yes, but wait: The truth is even more fantastic. The CBC was forced to drop Intelligence because of me.

Chris Haddock, the show's creator, commented in an interview one year before the cancellation on how the show received no promotion by the CBC, and on how mention of its awards nominations were left out of a pre-awards show:[9]

I've been told with previous projects that the most effective time to promote is in the two weeks prior to the start of the season. Yet we went into the first two weeks before the show with zero promotion anywhere. That isn't accidental. That is a very well planned 'bury' by someone. It is somebody high up in the food chain who has the power to say, 'Do not mention this show. We were nominated for eleven Geminis. Prior to the Geminis, there was an episode of The Hour about the nominations but there was not one mention of Intelligence. The story became how Little Mosque on the Prairie had not been nominated.

When the show was brought to Netflix in 2017, John Doyle commented in The Globe and Mail:[4]

At the time Intelligence was cancelled by CBC, there was a widespread belief that the theme of political corruption was what got the show killed. In those Harper-era days, the series was in dangerous territory for a beleaguered CBC. The fact that it was superb TV, widely praised, was less important than fear of government criticism.

So many people are mentioning Canadian shows because there are so many gems that only a fraction of the Canadian population bothered to watch. :D We are so immersed in American television that without laws requiring a certain amount of Canadian content, so many shows wouldn't have been made. 

For me it's Dark. I don't really ever hear anyone meantion it, less than a handfull of comments on facebook is all. I love that show, if you wanna get mindfucked Dark is the show for you.

3 minutes ago, FeichtKatze said:

For me it's Dark. I don't really ever hear anyone meantion it, less than a handfull of comments on facebook is all. I love that show, if you wanna get mindfucked Dark is the show for you.

I just started watching the second season. So good! I agree, it deserves more attention. None of my friends are watching it, despite me recommending it. 😕

2 minutes ago, NordicNoir said:

I just started watching the second season. So good! I agree, it deserves more attention. None of my friends are watching it, despite me recommending it. 😕

Glad to hear one more person recommed it :) I'm on the second season too, loved the first one so I'm hoping the second will be good as well. 

1 minute ago, FeichtKatze said:

Glad to hear one more person recommed it :) I'm on the second season too, loved the first one so I'm hoping the second will be good as well. 

I just watched the third episode and so far it is really promising. And your right, it is a mindfuck. 😂

Celyn: The Lutening

Supersizers Go...

A documentary series where Giles Coren and Sue Perkins live as if they were in various historical eras.

Interesting and hilarious in equal parts.

My favourite line, about what I seem to remember was "hot posset": "It's like mulled vomit." 

Moonlight was a favourite of mine, It's a shame that CBS never gave us fans closure, with the series ending at the first season they ever aired.

33 minutes ago, NordicNoir said:

I just watched the third episode and so far it is really promising. And your right, it is a mindfuck. 😂

I'm on ep 7 and I'm literally going "Wait, wuu, wuut, what!?" :o:) 

4 minutes ago, FeichtKatze said:

I'm on ep 7 and I'm literally going "Wait, wuu, wuut, what!?" :o:) 

Oh dear, and I am already desperately trying to keep up with who's who and what year it is ... 😂

2 minutes ago, NordicNoir said:

Oh dear, and I am already desperately trying to keep up with who's who and what year it is ... 😂

I wasn't emotionally prepared for some episodes :ph34r:

I can't be bothered searching the thread but if the animated series Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century hasn't been mentioned before now then it should have been. One of the best adaptations.

Moonlighting, tv show starring Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd (she was the more famous one at the time).

Crazy Cat Lady
8 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

So many people are mentioning Canadian shows because there are so many gems that only a fraction of the Canadian population bothered to watch. :D We are so immersed in American television that without laws requiring a certain amount of Canadian content, so many shows wouldn't have been made. 

If we want to mention more Canadian stuff, how about "Danger Bay" from the 80s!?  🙂

Gentle Giant

Another Canadian show from the 80s is Seeing Things. I used to watch it on PBS. It's about a newspaper reporter who would have visions that would help him solve mysteries.

I think the BBC bought quite a few Canadian shows in the 70's and 80's, maybe there was a deal to share production costs. I certainly remember The Littlest Hobo. 

Bruce Wayne

People around me don't seem to know a lot of wildlife documentaries that I can brag about all the time. For instance Ten Deadliest Snakes with Nigel Marven. Great show but I had to create a Wikipedia page for it... 😄 

3 hours ago, Steve Rogers said:

People around me don't seem to know a lot of wildlife documentaries that I can brag about all the time. For instance Ten Deadliest Snakes with Nigel Marven. Great show but I had to create a Wikipedia page for it... 😄 

A Nigel Marven. I remember several of his documentaries.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:21 AM, Snao Cone said:

Totally agree, but there's also the lack of budget that also hurt when you compare to a similar show from the US.

@Urishir's memory and research reminded me of a few Canadian spy/thriller shows that were fun to watch, but very low budget (from memory):  Counter Strike, Adderley, and La Femme Nikita (if I hadn't already mentioned the latter).

There was also the sci-fi show War of the Worlds.

Round Planet. It's a documentary that mocks other nature documentaries and it's hilarious. I've never met another fan though :(

La Femme Nikita is Canadian? I sort of enjoyed it for a while. Not as good as the film, though

47 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

La Femme Nikita is Canadian? I sort of enjoyed it for a while. Not as good as the film, though

The 90s version, starring an Australian ... there was a 2010 version.

Related image

1 hour ago, robnrdbrd said:

Related image

It's the 90s version I remember watching. As you say, with the Australian, Peta Wilson in the lead role

Lonely Lemon

Strangers with Candy twists an after-school special into something completely original, hilarious and unfit for educational purposes. Jerri Blank, a 46-year-old freshman, is a self-described "user, boozer and loser" who takes on the perils and pratfalls of Flatpoint High and life at home.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:06 PM, robnrdbrd said:

Related image

They did a 2010 version? That's just wrong.

Bee and Puppycat.

Archived