TV shows no one else seems to know

ben8884

I thought it might be fun to make a thread for TV shows that you really like and yet, very few other people if any seem to know them. Then we can all go-oh hey I like that too! 

I will start. My top 2 are probably Babylon 5 and the Critic. 

NickyTannock

For me, 'Sliders'.

I've only seen a few episodes but I don't know how Space Precinct was overlooked. It was a neat sci-fi police procedural with outstanding effects. And it was created by the man behind the Thunderbirds. I read that it cost too much per episode, and I could believe it. 

I loathed Train 48 like you wouldn't believe.

On the subject of Canadian shows: Twitch City, Made in Canada, and Slings & Arrows.

Rockblossom
23 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

I will start. My top 2 are probably Babylon 5 and the Critic. 

Babylon 5 is my favorite SF series of all time, followed by Firefly, and The Prisoner.

I always recommend Garth Marenghi's Darkplace to people and no one's ever heard of it. It's an obscure comedy that was on late night TV here in the UK a while back.

Alejandrogynous

Dark Angel. Only lasted two seasons and nobody seems to remember it, but it's still 100% of everything I want in a campy sci-fi mutant show.

I'm guessing the Canadians on the forum might know this one: The Red Green Show.

It's not my favorite show, but I thought it was entertaining as a kid, where the characters parody stereotypical, Canadian life (such as being extreme fans of hockey). 

Hayis4horses
6 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I'm guessing the Canadians on the forum might know this one: The Red Green Show.

I used to watch that show. It's so funny. Mainly what I remember is "I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to...I guess." and "Uncle Red! Uncle Red!". (I'm not Canadian, tho.)

2 minutes ago, Hayis4horses said:

I used to watch that show. It's so funny. Mainly what I remember is "I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to...I guess." and "Uncle Red! Uncle Red!". (I'm not Canadian, tho.)

Oh, hey! There's another American who knows it, too! Ha!

I kind of thought, since most members are young, that they probably wouldn't know it.

10 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

It's not my favorite show, but I thought it was entertaining as a kid, where the characters parody stereotypical, Canadian life (such as being extreme fans of hockey). 

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another show: History Bites. It was a Canadian show where sketch comedians would parody modern day TV as if it was aired in different historical periods. It was hosted by Rick Green, who also played Uncle Bill on The Red Green Show.

Hayis4horses
6 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Oh, hey! There's another American who knows it, too! Ha!

I kind of thought, since most members are young, that they probably wouldn't know it.

I am young and American, but I used to watch it in late elementary school, I think. It was old by then, but it still came on.

9 minutes ago, Hayis4horses said:

I am young and American, but I used to watch it in elementary school.

Oh, wow. Your elementary school showed it? I don't think any of my schools showed it: they'd only show programs like Sesame Street. I'm surprised; it kind of had adult jokes/topics in it, such as about the characters' marriage troubles.

Hayis4horses
2 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Oh, wow. Your elementary school showed it? I don't think any of my schools showed it: they'd only show programs like Sesame Street.

My bad, I meant that I watched it in the late elementary school time. I'd watch it in my house, but I was in late elementary school at the time.

Grumpy Alien

My absolute favorite show of all time is a little obscure because it was cancelled 😭

In the Flesh 

It was amazing. It won a BAFTA. I’ll never not be angry it wasn’t renewed for a third series.

Crazycrazycultist

Anybody remember Kappa Mikey?

1 hour ago, RomanticAce said:

I always recommend Garth Marenghi's Darkplace to people and no one's ever heard of it. It's an obscure comedy that was on late night TV here in the UK a while back.

I loved this one! It was shown on Cartoon  Network's Adult Swim along with Mighty Boosh. I liked Dark Place much better.

2 minutes ago, CBC said:

...(lol I hate calling things "touching", but).

:) Would "emotional" work?

Crazy Cat Lady
23 minutes ago, tase said:

Freaks & Geeks?

I loved Freaks & Geeks! Have the DVD. Wish it would have lasted more than 1 season!

1 hour ago, Rockblossom said:

Babylon 5 is my favorite SF series of all time, followed by Firefly, and The Prisoner.

You have excellent taste.

I think most of the shows I could name that people might not know are probably older shows (50s and 60s), or maybe ones people have heard of but never watched (unless they're closer to my age)? Such as Gidget, The Flying Nun, The Girl From UNCLE, Laugh-In, The Smothers Brothers Show, and others that are slipping my mind right now. Or ones that aren't worth remembering. :P 

Maybe a few shows that I know some people know, such as The Kids in the Hall, 'Allo, 'Allo, Red Dwarf, or Black Books.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

I loved Freaks & Geeks! Have the DVD. Wish it would have lasted more than 1 season!

Agreed

Since it was the last episode, my enjoyment of the show had nothing to do with

FROM IMDB EPISODE 18

Nick explores disco, Lindsay listens to the Grateful Dead, and Daniel tries something new. What's cool? Friendship, 

but that was just a happy bonus. 

Before the Red Green Show @InquisitivePhilosopher there was Smith & Smith a comedy duo act of Steven Smith (Red Green) and his wife Morag Smith.  They did comedy skits and humour songs.  Does anyone remember that one? 

IDK who I am tho

There were a few good shows I found on netflix, I don't think they're on anymore though...

Kyle XY

Switched at Birth

The 100

Max Headroom, an utterly quirky science fiction show which aired in the 1980's. What I liked about it the most was that it was prophetic. True computer animation had not been perfected but they achieved something that looked similar by putting an actor in a rubber mask and casting a shifting pattern behind him. What was most prophetic of all was that everybody had their own TV station.  30 years later everybody did - You Tube. The only thing not achieved was Max himself. He was supposedly a sentient computer program, a sort of sardonic version of the HAL 9000. Max was also apparently used by the Coca Cola company. He did commercials during the period when Coke substituted cane sugar with high fructose corn syrup. To keep consumers from noticing the subtle difference in taste, New Coke was marketed. It tasted awful, probably intentionally. To dissuade the public from switching to Coke's rival Pepsi, Max would pop up and say "Don't use the P word". People were desperate to have old Coke again. Well, they got it - corn syrup Coke. I suppose they had forgotten what Coca Cola was supposed to taste like so they didn't notice. The actor portraying Max made his last appearance on Star Trek as a minor character. Without his mask and special effects one would never know it was Max.  

RoseGoesToYale

-writes all of these down- I've never been one for mainstream tv (at least, not so much American tv...)

Larkrise to Candleford is my one weakness one of my favorites. Turn-of-the-century British drama about a girl who goes to work in a post office. Also Rosemary & Thyme, British drama about two gardeners who solve mysteries. The Littlest Hobo, from the 80s, a homeless german shepherd wanders around Canada helping people (def ace-friendly). Monarch of the Glen, early 00s British drama (which is really a comedy, it's hilarious), about a guy who inherits his family's estate in Scotland.

Archived