Asexual Awareness Week 2019 dates?

Cosette Belles-Lettres

Cosette Belles-Lettres

Maybe this is a little early, but Pride month has me thinking at about it. Anybody know when Ace Awareness Week is? I know it's in October, but no one seems to know when. I've already checked the AAW website and Facebook. Neither of them seem to have updated in a while.

On another note, does anyone feel more comfortable celebrating ace-ness (or in my case, demi-ness) during AAW rather than Pride? Not that there is anything wrong with celebrating during Pride. We are the A in LGBTQIA+, after all. But I'm kinda afraid to. I'm worried about the backlash from people. But maybe I'll work up the courage to do something. I've got a whole month to try. :)

So we haven't heard any official word about this, but I've been telling people last week of October. Because that's when it usually is! I hope the AAW website will be updated soon.

I see AAW and Pride as kind of complementary. Pride is where people gather for large, central events like the march - and sometimes ace conferences too if you're in the right area! - whereas AAW is for more local events, e.g. campus talks. But others may have different views on that!

• 4 months later...

Today! By convention, started by its founder Sara, AAW always runs Sunday to Saturday.

I think when I was a kid, weeks officially ran Sunday to Saturday. (I guess that goes all the way back to Genesis! 😛) At some point in living memory that changed to Monday to Sunday at least in the UK. Not sure about North America.

29 minutes ago, michaeld said:

At some point in living memory that changed to Monday to Sunday at least in the UK. Not sure about North America.

Well when I check the calendar Monday is first day of the week but hey this works to.  Is AAW just in the US and UK?

26 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Well when I check the calendar Monday is first day of the week but hey this works to.  Is AAW just in the US and UK?

Not at all! It's an international event, and we encourage anyone anywhere to use the week to spread awareness. Personally I've concentrated more on the UK since that's where I'm based. Ace Outreach concenrtates mostly on N.America. It would be great if more people in other countries organised something too!

1 minute ago, michaeld said:

Not at all! It's an international event, and we encourage anyone anywhere to use the week to spread awareness. Personally I've concentrated more on the UK since that's where I'm based. Ace Outreach concenrtates mostly on A.America. It would be great if more people in other countries organised something too!

I would if could, hopefully some day. 

And is AAW something you have to ask for permission to use like Pride?

1 minute ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

Nope! AAW is for all! 

Okay is not that a little risky? That it could be used to cause harm to the community. That someone could use it to willingly spread miss information about asexuality under that name. 

9 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Okay is not that a little risky? That it could be used to cause harm to the community. That someone could use it to willingly spread miss information about asexuality under that name. 

Obviously we don't want people to spread misinformation under the AAW banner, though there probably isn't much we can do about it (the term isn't trademarked as far as I know) except spread good information in response!

Archived