How Do You Feel About Being Called "Good-Looking"?

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

"Attractiveness" Comfortability Scale  

187 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About Being Called "Good-Looking"?

• Great! I love it!
    • It feels good.
    • I'm neutral.
    • I'd prefer that no one call me that.
    • It feels awful! It's completely inappropriate and it feels like I'm being pursued!
    • Other
  2. 2. What Is Your Sexual Orientation?

• Asexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Heterosexual
    • Pansexual
    • Demisexual/Greysexual
    • Sapiosexual
    • Digisexual
    • Polysexual
    • Other
  3. 3. What Is Your Romantic Orientation?

• Aromantic
    • Homoromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Heteroromantic
    • Panromantic
    • Demiromantic/Greyromantic
    • Sapioromantic
    • Digiromantic
    • Polyromantic
    • Other

Depending on the situation it either feels great or weird. If it's clearly just a compliment - I love it! I do like to dress up nice and spend time on my make-up, so it feels great when people say something nice. It took me years to just accept a compliment and not doubt every single time people say something complimenting, but nowadays I've learned to receive them better.

However, sometimes it feels more like leering than just a genuine compliment, and that's when I back out. It really depends on the voice, the situation, the location, who's saying it, like others have mentioned.

Comrade F&F

I'm good looking?

Damn right.

CelesteAdAstra

Hm, I guess I can actually get quite angry after such compliments? I know that there are no ill intentions in those who say these nice things, but I always think that they're either lying, stupid or maing fun of me, so...

Winged Whisperer

I love compliments and I have a huge amount of my self-esteem tied to my looks soooo.... yeah. Usually I don't believe people when they first say it, but when I find out it's sincere, I get a tiny little melting happy tingle "aww" and then go on whatever I was doing. But yeah I really like it when people compliment my looks in any vocabulary including "hot" and "sexy" (except when I feel my mental alarms going off that it's going to lead to something), though I haven't actually ever heard those from anyone besides my spouse.

Confused

I'm not a good looking person so why bother lie to me

Nah, I hate liars. j/k.

I really don't care. I don't think I'm bad looking, but not great either, so... and since I'm not looking for a relationship anyway... honestly, complements are generally a good thing to hear, but I do kinda cringe sometimes. I've tried really hard to deal with very low self-esteem, so I try to be more accepting. I'm getting better at it, but I still feel vaguely vain.

There is such a thing as being very rude not accepting a complement. Not all the time, but it can hurt the person making it if they're serious. Sometimes accepting a complement can make other people feel better, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.

It also kinda depends on the context. I've been doing a lot of working out and dieting to lose weight, so someone saying I look better is rewarding. I do hate it when people say I'm smart. That feels weird because I don't feel that way, and it feels like a lot of pressure to live up to that.

I said other for the first question because it depends on who is calling me good-looking and why. If a friend is saying it because my outfit is looking cool, then I'm pretty happy to be called that but if a stranger is saying it and I'm not sure why then I get really anxious and don't like it.

nerdography

My parents tell me I’m good looking all the time and it makes me uncomfortable. For some reason they believe that I think I’m ugly and that’s why I’m not dating. Despite the fact that I’ve told them multiple times that I don’t feel like being bothered with a relationship, which I guess they interpret as low self-esteem.

I know I’m not ugly, it’s just that my looks aren’t important to me and have never been a factor in my self -esteem. My self-esteem comes from my intelligence and introspective work.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:48 PM, katinthehat said:

I'm okay with compliments, but not when someone is just being nice to get something. It's very easy to spot that behavior.

Interesting. I think that's one of the drawbacks of being conventionally attractive (or rich), you always have to second-guess whether a person's intentions are pure or are they using flattery towards you as a means to an end? 

Oh well. Not an issue anymore. I'm virtually invisible to men 😎

Aceonthecase24

If I hear people say that I ask them if they're being serious and then proceed with questioning why they think that for several hours.

Sometimes people give compliments honestly without understanding that it can be construed as insulting. And they can be insulted right back if they think you're replying to something positive with a negative reaction. That doesn't make it easier, and it doesn't mean that anyone HAS to reply nicely, but it is worth keeping in mind. It took me a while to learn the polite nod. And that is a lot easier to stay off people's radar with.

If someone close to me compliments me, then I feel really good about it. I always like to hear nice things about me once in a while. But if it's someone I barely know, no thanks. 

It makes me SUPER uncomfy. I don't usually get compliments so unless its someone I'm really close to then it just feels like they are lying.

Retcon_Gecko

I always have people telling me I look good, so as long as the people who say it don't say it in a leery or "nasty" way I just see it as a compliment. 

On that note, the other day I asked my "boyfriend" (it's complicated) why he chose to date me in the first place. His reply was "You're hot," literally the next minute he was tripping over himself trying to apologize and saying he didn't mean to objectify me, which I found hilarious.  

NessieAvery

Incredibly awkward, I almost see it as a threat which is very sad. Not because I feel like I'm unsafe, but because I don't want anyone to get attracted to me only for me to turn them down. And also because in some situations people haven't accepted my answer. I hate causing others pain. So, that comment is usually a mix of "awww, thanks" and "and now to run for the hills"

Chamomile_Serenity

I take the compliment. I don't think much of it unless it's followed up with being hit on in a "come hither" way. Appearances change over time as do the way we are socialized to think about attractiveness especially when it comes to other factors such as age, ethnicity, ability, etc.  I would be more appreciative about a compliment on a presentation I gave, or a blog post I wrote, or the way I handled conflict and helped create more peace in a space, but overall I've learned to simply say "thank you" for a compliment and keep it moving.

AceMissBehaving

I like it even if I have a hard time believing it. I’m unbelievably awkward about receiving compliments though, 100% do not know what to say or do with them.

I have mixed feelings about this. I feel like it's nice to be complimented, but it also makes me uncomfortable because usually I think the other person is just saying it because they want something from me. Usually I'll take the compliment and say something nice back, but if the other person tries to flirt or anything I feel awkward and leave really fast. The weird part is that I've gotten this compliment from a few men who were waaaaay older than me, and at that point it just feels creepy.

I'm initially skeptical, because I suspect someone is trying to get something out of me. <_< It also depends on the context, and who's saying it, like if they're ostensibly hetero men, or people who seem like they want to set me up with someone. I'd rather it be an unspoken understanding, really.

Find this interesting as an artist/designer because aesthetic is such an important part of what I do so I think this subconsciously seeps into how I view the world and others, basically I appreciate a good aesthetic. Being told I look good gives me a small boost in confidence too. I think personally there are so many factors beyond my asexuality that contribute to myself enjoying a little bit of recognition for the aesthetic I present to the world.

Green and Purple Dragon

Idk I feel good that someone complimented me because... it’s a lil’ confidence boost.  I don’t feel uncomfortable by it unless that person makes it obvious they’re saying it because they have a crush on me or something.  Maybe I might be bad at picking up hints, but when someone compliments me, I usually see it as just a nice, friendly gesture and it makes me feel nice.  Even if I don’t believe them, and I’m socially too awkward for the situation.

I generally take compliments with a "thank you" if they're someone decent, and an extra condescending "I know" if they are unsympathetic.

I’m okay with it but the ones that creep me out are the older male and females that think I’m younger than I really am and try to be overly nice to me but then they find out I’m pushing 30 it then becomes blatantly obvious that their attracted to me, one guy said I look like a twink later I had to look it up sense I’m not hip on different names.

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:07 AM, StarNinja said:

Its really off putting mostly. Even when I know that I look cute, when someone complements me like that it confuses me. 'Did I accidentally send them some invisible signal that I'm interested? Are they going to try to ask me out in a second??? Or, shoot, gotta fake smile and hope that they don't.'

I mean... They probably don't mean anything serious by it but. It puts a pretty bad feeling in my gut. =/

Totally agree usually when I get compliments there from old men who seem like their trying to be sexual with it which is so awkward usually I just get the heck out of there as fast as I can.

It doesn't bother me per say (I have been called "dapper" more than once) and to be honest it rarely happens but if does I am more like "ummmm....OK then...." and I move on.  

Someone when seeing me in a suit and trimmed beard was almost shocked and said I "clean up nice." Not sure what to make of that but I took it as a compliment! 

3 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

"clean up nice."

Yeah, that's kind of a back-handed compliment. :lol: :P 

(sort of like "you're usually a slob (or maybe just average), but when you make an effort you can look good" or something.)

12 minutes ago, daveb said:

Dapper is good. :) 

I don't know what that means. Is it good or bad?

Archived