Stuff Mom Never Told You episode

Snao Cone

Hey, if there are any listeners of the feminist/gender podcast Stuff Mom Never Told You, yesterday they released an episode called "The ABCs of being Ace". I haven't listened to it yet, but probably will this weekend. The episode before that was The Spectrum of Sexuality that touched on asexuality and aromanticism (though there were some errors - how they described "grey asexuality" was actually demisexuality, and they said aromantic people are sexual but don't experience romantic attraction), which I listened to this morning. The host Anney Reece has been vocally questioning if she's asexual for some time now, so this might have a more personal angle that could paint a different picture than many other pieces of media that touch on asexuality.

Has anyone listened to it yet? I'm a little scared to jump into it, just in case it does have misinformation that's cringe-worthy.

I used to listen to that podcast a few years ago, when it had different hosts (whose names I can't recall at this time). Haven't had (or made) time to listen to it in a long while though.

15 minutes ago, daveb said:

I used to listen to that podcast a few years ago, when it had different hosts (whose names I can't recall at this time). Haven't had (or made) time to listen to it in a long while though.

Cristen and Caroline were hosts until shortly after the 2016 election before they decided to start their own podcast that's a bit more in depth. SMNTY has gone through a few hosts since, but Anney has been around for a while now. The co-host Samantha joined officially last month. 

2 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Cristen and Caroline

Those are the 2 who hosted when I used to listen to it (and watch some of their videos). Good old "sminty". :) 

I shared a video from the same site a while ago, but the presenter was the awesome Cristen Conger.

Her presentation was titled "The ABC's of Asexuality."

https://youtu.be/OJnD9YnweE4

For the most part I thought it was a pretty good. 

53 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Has anyone listened to it yet?

Here's the link. I hope it works for you - it doesn't for me: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/stuff-mom-never-told-you-21123631/episode/the-abcs-of-being-ace-45537605/

Okay, I listened to it.

😬

It was an informal chat with someone who wrote for Teen Vogue on her asexuality, so it was casual and first-hand without much 101 background. There were some moments where I was cringing over how they could've explained things more clearly, and some things that were glossed over too much. But! Some things were very relatable, and it was pretty positive overall. Maybe it will put people on a path of searching for more information and it might even bring them here. (They didn't mention AVEN at all, though.)

Archived