Just curious about other’s experiences

Birdman

Reactions from others about Asexuality?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Has someone abused you, or made fun of you for being ace, aro etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • No real reaction
  2. 2. Were people supportive?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I usually don't advertise it, y'know? "Coming out" seems a lot more... reactive, as an ace. I usually only bring it up when people are trying to set me up with someone, or asking in depth about my future. 

The few of my friends that I've told seemed supportive. My mother was a little perplexed but nice about it. 

I've only recently started being openly Ace. I'll mention it if the topic feels appropriate. Or if someone asks me why I'm single or tells me "you'll find someone someday".

Reactions have been kind of mixed. As a general rule, from my limited experience, the older the person, the less likely I've found they've been able to understand the concept of asexuality. Not that I believe that the two traits are intrinsically linked. I've had a few insensitive questions following 'coming out', but nothing with mal intent.

The best reaction I've had so far was pretty much just an "Oh, ok. Fair enough" followed by me and them continuing to talk as normal. Which to me is kind of the ideal scenario.

• 4 weeks later...
Anony-moose

I've had a negative response form someone (they said the usual- "You haven't tried it yet, haven't met someone yet, how do you know? That's not real"), but later they joked about those questions having realised they're not right lol

Never had any abuse, and people are supportive, or at the very least just don't say anything 

Grumpy Alien

Not ace. When I thought I was, people were supportive.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only told one of my friends that I'm ace and he was supportive. But I have heard many of my friends make fun of ace people.

Mostly positive reactions from the people who do know, although there was a bit of  'some people are late bloomers', 'have you checked your hormones' etc from one or two people.

HonoraryJedi

I wish the 'no real reaction' option was for the 'were people supportive' question. I'm very certain I was not abused. It is the support question that is a little weird, because there was not much reaction, and I didn't really ask for support. It was just information.

I've been teased about my "aceness" sometimes despite the fact I'm not actually out. It doesn't really bother me anymore - I can't help who I am. The few times I have come out, people have been really supportive.

I usually don't bring it up unless I'm in an LGBTQ+ space and/or having a conversation about romance.

• 11 months later...

@Birdman

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived