• between 4 and 5 years
    • between 5 and 6 years
    • between 7 and 8 years
    • between 8 and 9 years
    • between 9 years and 10 years
    • Over 10 years old
    • do Not Own a Mobile Phone

This poll is closed to new votes

my current phone is 3 years old. i got it in July 2015. the cover is starting to come off it

I bought a new phone on 18th of Jan and on 8th of May it was stolen....

so, my old phone will be 3 years  old in 1 month.

Skycaptain

Mines from this January. Because of the amount I use them they're knackered after two years (I can clear 20Gb of data usage a month as I use mine for work, AVEN, music and TV 

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm gonna say between 19 months - 2 years? Not really sure but it's not far off.

I upgraded to a new phone back in February. I didn't want to, but the screen on my old one was dying so needs must.

I think I got it in either 2015 or 2016. It’s an iPhone 6 and I’m fine with keeping it until it breaks.

1-3 months. had to get an upgrade due to a failure. prior to that it was 5 years old I think

everywhere and nowhere

The model itself is 19 years old - Nokia 6210. I'm not sure how long exactly I have been using it - I had two Nokias of this model. I started using the first one about 16 years ago and later, when it was i bad condition (the diplay had cracked), my uncle told me that if I like old mobile phones, he could give me a few. It was about 11, 10, 9 years ago? Since then I have been using the new copy. I voted "over 10 years", because probably what counts is the model's age.

The phone looks like this:

147px-Nokia_6210.jpg

I really don't want a modern phone, for several reasons:

1. I'm a "technological conservative" - when I have already learned how to use some technology, I'm not thrilled about having to switch to a new one. Similarly, I use Windows 7 because I prefer it... and I honestly don't even know how to use new Paint (the program), I use something called "Paint XP for Windows 7" as my basic program for editing images (and even in this one I still have no idea how exactly to control the curve tool).
  2. These teenie weenie touchscreenie keyboardettes are horrible to type with my thick fingers, I typically hit 2-3 letters at once. Touchscreens not responding to (ordinary) gloves also doesn't make them very comfortable, and because of my allergy I wear cotton gloves outdoors all year long.
  3. I really enjoy Not Doing Things Most People Do And Doing Things Most People Don't. This is the reason why I enjoy having a ridiculously outdated mobile when everyone else is using smartphones, this is one of the reasons why I never drink alcohol, and as for sex... I don't have sex first of all because I'm sex-averse and therefore I don't desire sex, but Enjoying Not Doing Things Most People Do is precisely the reason why I'm proud not to have sex...
Rockblossom

The poll assumes we have only one.  I actually have 2: a less-than-a-year-old "smart" phone (aka "the silicon brick") that I hate but need for some applications, but  leave home whenever possible; and a 6-year-old "not-even-remotely-smart" flip phone that I take everywhere because it fits in the watch pocket of my jeans and only needs a recharge every 3-4 months.  What I want is a hybrid of the two: something small and energy efficient that will still run the (very few) apps I need.

everywhere and nowhere
21 minutes ago, Rockblossom said:

and only needs a recharge every 3-4 months

Wow. My phone needs a recharge every 1-3 days depending on how much it's used... :( I'll have to switch the battery, but first I'll have to buy a new one and it's no longer so easy - OK, possible to get, but exclusively online, with post costs, because such old stuff is no longer sold in shops with mobile phone accessories...

Mine was lost/stolen on a trip in the Alps in August 2017. The replacement model was an upgrade (from v3 to v5) of the phone I had before then. I'd had that for about 2 years, I think.

About 7 years old, and it’s a hand-me down, but it has lasted really well.  No cracks, works fast and efficiently, and the battery lasts a decent amount of time, I’ve just not had a reason to change it. Kinda a shame that some of the apps will stop working on it soon though :( 

15 hours ago, Rockblossom said:

The poll assumes we have only one.  I actually have 2: a less-than-a-year-old "smart" phone (aka "the silicon brick") that I hate but need for some applications, but  leave home whenever possible; and a 6-year-old "not-even-remotely-smart" flip phone that I take everywhere because it fits in the watch pocket of my jeans and only needs a recharge every 3-4 months.  What I want is a hybrid of the two: something small and energy efficient that will still run the (very few) apps I need.

i've added primary to the poll question  because my intention is the main phone

I had a mobile phone of 5 years until last August where it just died on me, so now I have a new one 10 month old.

Dreamsexual

I got my phone when I was in 9th grade, in the February of 2016. So it's 3 years and 3-4 months old. It still works pretty well (though there are some minor problems) and the screen has no cracks. I don't really use it much. I'm still getting a bit bored of it. I would like a newer one, that is also thinner and has a bigger screen. I don't really need it tho. Like I said, I don't even use phones much. 

Got a second hand from my brother last year and it was already about two years old. My previous phones software did not fair well with my constant usage of it. 

Traded in my old flip phone for a smart phone in 2017 due to traveling reasons—might be looking to get a new phone this summer mostly for a better camera, since I end up taking a lot of photos with my phone.

2 years old Iphone SE. 

and of course since its’ coverage ran out, now it starts glitching and all that.

Member131995

I got mine a week or two after it became available in my region on March 8th. This is probably my fifth or sixth phone in the last six years. I like to think I'm very careful with my phones but I'm actually not. Most have been replaced because of dropping and screen shattering (had a few iPhones, which I hated) or damage to screen due to water or extreme heat (don't ask). My goal is to keep this phone for at least two years because at this point I don't think I've ever owned a phone for longer than a year and six months. 

I got my phone February of last year, only because my other phone was kaput. On average, I tend to keep my phones  around 3-4 years (when they break on me).

• 4 months later...
J. van Deijck

I just changed my phone yesterday, so. :D it's my 5th Samsung Galaxy phone in a row.

my previous phone still works, so I keep it as a back up phone.

I got my current phone this summer, which replaced a 1.5 year old one. That one still functions, but I dropped it too often, so the camera is a bit messed up. I always keep my old phones (between 1.5 and 5 years old) around as backup or as second travel phone.

I changed my phone at the end the August. The previous one made it to its 4 year anniversary

I'm not sure exactly when I got my phone but it was early in the year. Brand new. Before that one, my phone at the time was 3 years old?

I don't change phones until they die. And also they cost a lot of money lol. I'm not made of cash.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

We have a mobile phone that I guess technically belongs to me, but is mostly just used as a home phone.

fooledbysecrecy

i still use nokia 3310, got my current one about 8 years ago, second hand/refurbished off ebay for about a tenner. got my first one of those in 2001 and it did last just a couple of months shy of 10 years.

I use phones until they break. I'm not a heavy phone user, so I just go with basic models. Unfortunately, i just had to replace mine last month.

I tend to resent needing a phone for SMS and apps, a lot of modern things require you to download some stupid app or send a text.

Archived